Kjetil Knutsen

Winning 12 out of 21 games in the Norwegian league is far from impressive regardless of player turnover.

It’s disingenuous to only take this season. Bodø is a town the size of Inverness, in the arctic circle. They had absolutely no right winning the Norwegian league, never mind putting 6 goals past Roma.

Knutsen has worked miracles with a team who should be relegation fodder, all things considered.

Anyone got Zidane's number?

In all seriousness I'd have said Michael Beale if he wasn't just at QPR and he's won 3, drawn 3 and lost 3 so far.

It’s disingenuous to only take this season. Bodø is a town the size of Inverness, in the arctic circle. They had absolutely no right winning the Norwegian league, never mind putting 6 goals past Roma.

Knutsen has worked miracles with a team who should be relegation fodder, all things considered.
His budget is comparable to the biggest teams in his league. He isn't having a good season.

The Roma result was good but Gio can also quote good cup upsets.

My definition of 'miracles' is a bit stricter than yours.

I recognise his achievents but he would be a very risky appointment.

Gio ain’t getting sacked anytime soon, Knutsen would be my 1st choice too, but nowt will happen until next season or jan at the earliest me thinks
The question that bothers me is has GVB been given any transfer windows to make a difference? Or has Wilson and the board stitched him up?

His budget is comparable to the biggest teams in his league. He isn't having a good season.

Tbf if his time has run its course in Norway it could be very mutually beneficial

FWIW still backing Gio but Sean Dyche would be a great appointment, would have us picking up points through a low block in the CL and his style of football is not defensive in a league where his team can actually compete

Tbf if his time has run its course in Norway it could be very mutually beneficial

FWIW still backing Gio but Sean Dyche would be a great appointment, would have us picking up points through a low block in the CL and his style of football is not defensive in a league where his team can actually compete
I'm not sure about Dyche but then again I base my view on his Burnley team in the EPL which may not be fair

Yes, and a lot of people here fail to do the slightest bit of research. He has had his team plundered and been given no money to rebuild has had to work through injuries also, he still has a team that competes and is doing well in Europe. With the finances we have i think he could find a gem or two.

Maybe he would need time to implement his philosophy and get his own players in and maybe he would still flop the other option is leaving GVB in charge, having a team that's so passive we already know we will get humped before we play.

With the names on here there really isn’t much choice at the moment is there? Especially at this stage in the season and no money to spend.

Yes, and a lot of people here fail to do the slightest bit of research. He has had his team plundered and been given no money to rebuild has had to work through injuries also, he still has a team that competes and is doing well in Europe. With the finances we have i think he could find a gem or two.

Maybe he would need time to implement his philosophy and get his own players in and maybe he would still flop the other option is leaving GVB in charge, having a team that's so passive we already know we will get humped before we play.
According to Transfermarkt their net transfers for season 21/22 were over £11m in the black, so it's true to say they were plundered. However, in terms of transfers for season 22/23 they are £7m in the red - so they've spent a fair old chunk of that transfer income they received.

Most of that accounted for by the departures of Bottheim and Berg - and then buying back Berg for about the same as they'd sold him for after just a single season.

Last edited:
Let's be honest, none of us know anything about the Norwegian league and have probably only ever seen Bodo/Glint against Celtic and the highlights in the Roma 6-1.

I'm surprised he hasn't already got a move if he was good enough.

Let's be honest, none of us know anything about the Norwegian league and have probably only ever seen Bodo/Glint against Celtic and the highlights in the Roma 6-1.

Graham Potter got a big move following achievements arguably lesser than Knutsen. The European results alone make KK a worthy managerial punt, and that’s before considering the two (apparently highly impressive) league titles.

Graham Potter got a big move following achievements arguably lesser than Knutsen. The European results alone make KK a worthy managerial punt, and that’s before considering the two (apparently highly impressive) league titles.

Potter got his move due to succeeding consistently in the biggest league in the world.

Moving from the Norwegian League to the EPL for example is completely different.

He may well do great, I have no idea, but I find it similar to the risk of picking up the likes of Itten - does great in a certain league but then massively struggles elsewhere. It may work, it may not.

I'm not sure we can afford a punt. If we get this one wrong them it's a long road back, but as you'll probably say, there's not exactly a long list of managers lining up we can pick from.

Dyche is a good manager but I'm not convinced his style would suit us for domestic football. Too much of a pragmatist.

I'm not sure we can afford a punt. If we get this one wrong them it's a long road back, but as you'll probably say, there's not exactly a long list of managers lining up we can pick from.
Gio was considered a ‘safe’ appointment last season and that was one of the reasons many of the posters on here deemed him a better appointment than Knutsen at the time. We’ve seen how that’s played out

All you need to do is watch Knutsen's team play to see he's clearly a good manager. He has this Bodo team playing in a very well drilled and identifiable style while consistently punching above their weight in Europe - it's exactly what we need. He'd probably be one of the better appointments we could realistically make; will no doubt get his move to a big league or a big club sooner rather than later.

Anyone arguing against him because he's sitting 2nd in the league after winning 2 unexpected titles is just being daft & arguing for the sake of it. Think Postecoglou was sitting about 11th in Japan before they got him.

Really don’t know what else Knutsen could do on that budget to justify a well run club taking a punt.

Never been harder for clubs like Bodo to compete, being a good coach only gets you so far.

No clue about his style of football but the Valencia fans seem to have taken very well to Gattuso. His personality (in comparison to Gio’s stoicness) is probably what our players need and he takes no shit, would be a great leader for the club.

Really don’t know what else Knutsen could do on that budget to justify a well run club taking a punt.

Never been harder for clubs like Bodo to compete, being a good coach only gets you so far.
IMO the sign of a good coach is that they have a playing identity, the team is better than the sun if it’s parts and that he develops individuals.

He ticks those three boxes.

People get hung up on win percentages and trophies won however they don’t always tell the whole story.

Potter got his move due to succeeding consistently in the biggest league in the world.

Moving from the Norwegian League to the EPL for example is completely different.

He may well do great, I have no idea, but I find it similar to the risk of picking up the likes of Itten - does great in a certain league but then massively struggles elsewhere. It may work, it may not.

Potter got his move to England on the back of doing well at a small swedish Club, very similar to Knutsen.

Speak for yourself.

Just because you hadn’t heard of them before last year, doesn’t mean others hadn’t.

Bodø would have been very familiar to gamblers in recent years, as during their title winning seasons, they were absolutely blowing teams away.

That’s two things you’ve now got wrong.

Potter made his name at Osterund in Sweden, another scenario of a team who were punching way above their weight relative to size and finances.

If Inverness Cally won the SPL and then pumped Roma, it would be a miracle. You’re literally talking like for like. Bodø might be able to spend a bit of cash now, but their team was built on the money ball principal.

They have no right achieving what they have done in recent years.

Winning 12 out of 21 games in the Norwegian league is far from impressive regardless of player turnover.
Kjetil Knutsen is a miracle worker but even for him it's not sustainable to dominate domestically for 3 years. He's lost 5 first team players every year he's been at the club, they leave for millions and he gets £0 to replace them. Simply not sustainable.

21/22: £11.3m departures - £0 spent
20/21: £6.5m departures - £0 spent
19/20: £3.7m departures - £750k spent

Outrageously good manager on and off the pitch.

Kjetil Knutsen is a miracle worker but even for him it's not sustainable to dominate domestically for 3 years. He's lost 5 first team players every year he's been at the club, they leave for millions and he gets £0 to replace them. Simply not sustainable.

And 22/23: £1.8m departures - £7.02m spent.

More than half on bringing Patrick Berg back to the club.

Plenty of undisclosed fee transfers in there. They're not all free transfers

Potter had similar record in Sweden he’s turned out not too bad.

Knutsen has done very well in Europe and plays a good attacking system the fact he’s being linked with lots of jobs says everything…….the horseshoe was linked to no fooker after feynoord till we gifted him a job.

Knutsen has done very well in Europe and plays a good attacking system the fact he’s being linked with lots of jobs says everything…….the horseshoe was linked to no fooker after feynoord till we gifted him a job.
Linked by the media, however he remains at Bodo.

We don’t want to pick a favorite to succeed Gio before he’s gone and before we see who the other candidates might be.

And 22/23: £1.8m departures - £7.02m spent.

More than half on bringing Patrick Berg back to the club.
The season isn't over yet but context is needed.

The £7m spent was last month when the league was gone by 10+ points with 10 left to play.

The board have gambled massively on him winning the league with freebies again and now they're getting what they deserve.

The season isn't over yet but context is needed.

The £7m spent was last month when the league was gone by 10+ points with 10 left to play.

The board have gambled massively on him winning the league with freebies again and now they're getting what they deserve.
We arent interested, Kjetil, but thanks for joining the forum.

Derek Adams was a name on our list amongst our board when Gerrard left.

Let that sink in.
Definitely not a rangers manager
To be fair to adams though he’s done some great jobs at lower levels but even pre gerrard no chance was adams getting a look in for the rangers job

If Inverness Cally won the SPL and then pumped Roma, it would be a miracle. You’re literally talking like for like. Bodø might be able to spend a bit of cash now, but their team was built on the money ball principal.

They have no right achieving what they have done in recent years.

Is it not a bit like Leicester winning the EPFL?

Speak for yourself.

Just because you hadn’t heard of them before last year, doesn’t mean others hadn’t.

Bodø would have been very familiar to gamblers in recent years, as during their title winning seasons, they were absolutely blowing teams away.

His team scored 1 goal more than the team that finished 5th in the league last season. They averaged less than 2 goals a game.

Yep, get rid of Gio (not opposed to this) and instead let’s assign an untested manager who’s has some success Norway. Have I read this script before somewhere or will we all be stripped to our pants next summer to celebrate?

Too much being made of the roma result. It's pretty obvious they gave the cleaners a game that night.

Considering Roma won the tournament, I wouldn't be using that game as a benchmark.

Too much being made of the roma result. It's pretty obvious they gave the cleaners a game that night.

Considering Roma won the tournament, I wouldn't be using that game as a benchmark.
Which result? Roma won only one from four meetings with them last season.

And the quarter final win contained only a third of the team that beat Roma in the group stage.

Definitely not a rangers manager
To be fair to adams though he’s done some great jobs at lower levels but even pre gerrard no chance was adams getting a look in for the rangers job
Did a good job initially at Plymouth and was quite popular there but apparently would start a fight in an empty house.

Back