Kjetil Knutsen

Too much being made of the roma result. It's pretty obvious they gave the cleaners a game that night.

Considering Roma won the tournament, I wouldn't be using that game as a benchmark.

Beat them in a quarter final first leg too.

His budget is comparable to the biggest teams in his league. He isn't having a good season.

The Roma result was good but Gio can also quote good cup upsets.

My definition of 'miracles' is a bit stricter than yours.

I recognise his achievents but he would be a very risky appointment.
How would he be any riskier than the other managers we have a realistic chance of getting?

All you need to do is watch Knutsen's team play to see he's clearly a good manager. He has this Bodo team playing in a very well drilled and identifiable style while consistently punching above their weight in Europe - it's exactly what we need. He'd probably be one of the better appointments we could realistically make; will no doubt get his move to a big league or a big club sooner rather than later.

Anyone arguing against him because he's sitting 2nd in the league after winning 2 unexpected titles is just being daft & arguing for the sake of it. Think Postecoglou was sitting about 11th in Japan before they got him.
I’d be massively excited if we appointed him.

That is what I want, another Walter type.
And to think at the time people just moaned like %^*& about Walters teams being boring.

Surprised if they didn’t prefer the last 5 years since despite not winning a great deal, we did play more attractive football.

A European Walter or a domestic Walter?
A Manchester tactics type Walter or a Marseille tactics type Walter?
Our Euro games from 94 to 2011 were poor, despite making a final in that time.

I never looked forward to the CL games back then. . .or even now come to think of it B-)

The Europa games of the last 4 years have been the best I've experienced since that Marseille season.

Our Euro games from 94 to 2011 were poor, despite making a final in that time.

I never looked forward to the CL games back then. . .or even now come to think of it B-)

The Europa games of the last 4 years have been the best I've experienced since that Marseille season.
I get you.
Point I’m trying to make is there is a lot of different facets to Walter Smith’s managerial style.
Some, like his lack of youth development for example, is the kind of criticism being levied at van Bronckhurst just now.
Walter is a God to the Rangers support, rightly so, but he wouldn't get the easy ride from the Rangers support he got, he’d earned, in either spell as our manager.

Did a good job initially at Plymouth and was quite popular there but apparently would start a fight in an empty house.
Yes similar reports at Ross county too but winning the old Scottish 2nd division and 1st division aswell as getting Ross county to a Scottish cup final from the 2nd tier and finishing top 6 in their first ever season in the spl is impressive not to mention getting both Plymouth and morecambe promoted from league 2 , think it must be his attitude that lets him down otherwise think he’d of been worth a punt for a hibs/aberdeen level team

I have not read much of this thread but Knutsen was dismantled at Windsor Park to Linfield. Our issues are that we can not take the points away from home. Bodo are known for their higher level at home

It’s disingenuous to only take this season. Bodø is a town the size of Inverness, in the arctic circle. They had absolutely no right winning the Norwegian league, never mind putting 6 goals past Roma.

Knutsen has worked miracles with a team who should be relegation fodder, all things considered.
Doesn’t seem to matter how often this is explained the same inane and mindless objections will be made, probably by the type who were excited by Derek McInnes pre-Gerrard.

Last edited:
The big thing about getting a new manager (when Gio goes, whenever that may be) is getting someone in who gets it domestically.

Getting the right players in with the right mentality to regularly swat away dross (even when slightly out of form/coming back from big European games) is something we've lacked going back to Walter's second spell, bar Gerrard's freak 55 season.

IF the club where to part ways with Gio i think Kjetil Knutsen would be a really good candidate.

Plays an attack minded high pressing style of football. We would surely be in a good position to approach him while he is still at Bodo/Glimt.
I'm sure that the powers that be will be in touch soon.

Please gies a break from chasing for a manager when we have one.

The only job in Britian he's been recently linked to in any serious capacity was Aberdeen and he knocked them back, if he was as good as it appears, then surely after some good results in Europe other clubs would be all over him. Even someone in say the English Championship.

Is it not a bit like Leicester winning the EPFL?

Bodo is the same size/population as Inverness. It's literally in the arctic circle, where it will be incredibly difficult to recruit players. It's 7 times smaller than Leicester as a city and far more remote relative to the main cities in Norway. English town wise, it's like Torquay winning the Premier League.

I get you.
Point I’m trying to make is there is a lot of different facets to Walter Smith’s managerial style.
Some, like his lack of youth development for example, is the kind of criticism being levied at van Bronckhurst just now.
Walter is a God to the Rangers support, rightly so, but he wouldn't get the easy ride from the Rangers support he got, he’d earned, in either spell as our manager.
I would argue that there are lot of similarities between Walter and GVB.

Neither has a particularly certain playing style- domestically you could say styles are similar, be competitive and let the better quality and fitness decide the outcome.

Walter had a better quality of squad perhaps?

Our players got to the final of a European final last season and knocked out the current top of the Eredvise to qualify for the CL group stages.

A fully fit current Rangers squad is capable of plenty.

Apart from turning up domestically on a regular enough basis.

The only job in Britian he's been recently linked to in any serious capacity was Aberdeen and he knocked them back, if he was as good as it appears, then surely after some good results in Europe other clubs would be all over him. Even someone in say the English Championship.
He was linked to Brighton.

And to think at the time people just moaned like %^*& about Walters teams being boring.

Surprised if they didn’t prefer the last 5 years since despite not winning a great deal, we did play more attractive football.
We’ve played good football domestically for about 18 months of the last 5 years tbh, first half of 19/20 and 20/21

I would argue that there are lot of similarities between Walter and GVB.

Neither has a particularly certain playing style- domestically you could say styles are similar, be competitive and let the better quality and fitness decide the outcome.

Walter had a better quality of squad perhaps?
Gough, Weir, or Goldson?
Ferguson, Davis or Davis?
McCoist, Jelavic or Morelos?

Better quality?

Dyche would turn us into a hard to beat, pragmatic, snarling, kick your Granny to win a match team of hatchet men.

Anybody got his number?
We are already hard to beat in Scotland, domestically we have lost only 7 matches since March 2020 and four of them were under SG (including the Hibs semi in this as well) and as dire as Gio's football is it at times we don't often look like losing in Scotland but look capable of drawing a lot of the time. A draw is as bad as a defeat in this league.

Last edited:
We are already hard to beat in Scotland, domestically we have lost only 6 matches since March 2020 and four of them were under SG (including the Hibs semi in this as well) and as dire as Gio's football is it at times we don't often look like losing in Scotland but look capable of drawing a lot of the time. A draw is as bad as a defeat in this league.
For context, my post was after we'd just been pumped rotten off Ajax, and was more than a little tongue in cheek.

The point I’m making is that the current manager hasn’t been given an opportunity to improve the quality of the squad…..

If he had the chance to improve the quality of the midfield for instance
Fair enough.
I was trying to support your line.
In saying that I can’t agree with you here.
We’ve signed Lawrence and Tillman on his watch.
If he is part of the recruitment and selection process, which I’d suggest he has to be, he’s selected them and is part of the team who decided to strengthen positions at the expense of others.

The reality is if we sacked Gio today our board would either look at ex Rangers players currently in management or unemployed British managers like Sean Dyche, Billy Davies, Scott Parker etc.

After Graham Parks disasterous Pedro experiment which cost us millions of pounds, I'd be amazed if the board went for an "unknown" quantity.

The reality is if we sacked Gio today our board would either look at ex Rangers players currently in management or unemployed British managers like Sean Dyche, Billy Davies, Scott Parker etc.

After Graham Parks disasterous Pedro experiment which cost us millions of pounds, I'd be amazed if the board went for an "unknown" quantity.
The same board that whinge about the SPFL's reluctance to "go to the market" when it comes to negotiating TV deals when they do the exact same thing when it comes to manager recruitment.

We are already hard to beat in Scotland, domestically we have lost only 6 matches since March 2020 and four of them were under SG (including the Hibs semi in this as well) and as dire as Gio's football is it at times we don't often look like losing in Scotland but look capable of drawing a lot of the time. A draw is as bad as a defeat in this league.

Maybe rather than hard to beat, hard to score against would be a better mantra. Unquestionably we’ve conceded too many goals in recent seasons.

I’m not saying Dyche is the answer, but his Burnley teams got success from conceding few, albeit scoring few too.

Too many games now where we’ve ended up drawing off the back of conceding weak goals.

Pedro is not comparable to Knutsen though. Knutsen’s CV is far more impressive than Pedro’s. I remember looking at Pedro’s and being totally underwhelmed. It was a baffling appointment.

Maybe rather than hard to beat, hard to score against would be a better mantra. Unquestionably we’ve conceded too many goals in recent seasons.

I’m not saying Dyche is the answer, but his Burnley teams got success from conceding few, albeit scoring few too.

Too many games now where we’ve ended up drawing off the back of conceding weak goals.
I would rather we just aimed to score 3 or 4 every game, do that most weeks and we wont be dropping many points.

Defensive managers are of no use to us in this league. Especially at the salary he would be looking for.

Reality is very few of these coaches play against sides that sit 10 men behind the ball like we face, the Manager we need is a bit of a niche who will be able to break down these sides and attack well against those tactics. Gio isn't suited to that.

Knutsen has done well against sides that come out and play, same with Dyche and some others people in here talk up. But domestically, which is our bread and butter doesn't allow for that, so who's to say if he could adapt.

Bodo is the same size/population as Inverness. It's literally in the arctic circle, where it will be incredibly difficult to recruit players. It's 7 times smaller than Leicester as a city and far more remote relative to the main cities in Norway. English town wise, it's like Torquay winning the Premier League.

That is not really how it works though, Leicester had one of the lowest budgets in the premiership, 18th I think there isn’t even 18 teams in the Norwegian league.

Edinburgh and Manchester have roughly the same populations so should Hearts and Hibs be winning the same as Man Utd an Man City

If Rangers lost 1-0 against Linfield the pitch forks would be out. It would generally be very unflattering if we got this said manager
Celtic lost 1-0 vs Lincoln Red Imps, no one cares though because they won comfortably at home. The same as Bodo did.

If supporters are underwhelmed with a manager who was under consideration by the very well-run Brighton who could take our best players with no struggle, as well as having cultivated a club from the second tier to extra time for a place in the UCL then maybe the fans need a reality check. Who do we, as a club, expect to attract? Clubs like Club Brugge have no qualms making brave appointments, why can’t we do that?

Celtic lost 1-0 vs Lincoln Red Imps, no one cares though because they won comfortably at home. The same as Bodo did.

If supporters are underwhelmed with a manager who was under consideration by the very well-run Brighton who could take our best players with no struggle, as well as having cultivated a club from the second tier to extra time for a place in the UCL then maybe the fans need a reality check. Who do we, as a club, expect to attract? Clubs like Club Brugge have no qualms making brave appointments, why can’t we do that?
Can we risk another risk?

Too far.

Another home defeat and on a pitch worse than Livingston’s that no one wants to play on.

in the league 1 point off being fourth place, 6 draws 5 defeats out of 25 games, I don’t think I even know 4 Norwegian teams.

Back