Klaas-Jan Huntelaar

HMS.Temple.Garden

Reports in Germany that Schalke have approached him to join them this month to help them escape relegation.

Huntelaar came off the bench away to Twente last night and scored twice to win them the game, he has meant to have been quoted as "Schalke is in more trouble, they need me more, so that is more of a feeling choice. Ajax is a bit more stable and perhaps a bit nicer in terms of ending, with the possible title, the cup tournament and European football. Of course it is difficult. I'm not so far out there that I can tell. I'm going to sleep on it one more night."

I love hearing of veterans like him in great form getting a move out of necessity rather than pity.

Turned the game for Ajax last night. Thought he would be happy to stay at Ajax as their equivalent of Defoe but guessing he wants to play and save schalke. Best of luck to him if he goes

Just looking at his stats, he has some scoring record. He has a cracking goals to gamrd ratio at most of the clubs he has been at.

Went and saw Schalke play Mainz at the Veltins a few years back and it was absolutely superb.

Got myself a Schalke top with Huntelaar’s name on the back of it too!

Love him as a player, proper striker.

They are pretty much all or bust I think.

If they go down they are honestly fucked. Enormous debts. While I think it's funny the whole Tasmania record etc, seeing Schalke go down while clubs like Leipzig thrive is pretty pish.
Why? Schalke are a historic club but have been poorly run for years. Leipzig, while owned by Red Bull, have a strategic structure in place and aren't going out and spunking €60m a head on players. They've run the club right(ish) and have been picking up high potential, young players and coaching them well to get them in the position they have been. If they'd wanted to, they could've done a PSG or Man City and bought a title in their first year in the Bundesliga.

Last edited:
Hadn’t won in 30 odd games. Backed hoffenheim last week score n win and well ye know wit happened. Tbh I thought they were so far behind the rest that they’d have no chance of staying up but does seem doable.

%^*& them. Better clubs in trouble, like Arminia and Koln, than that Ruhrpot pile of piss.
Has anybody wishing them well ever had the pleasure of visiting Gelsenkirchen?

He won’t do anything there for me, he’s long gone. His last season there he was really poor.

Why? Schalke are a historic club but have been poorly run for years. Leipzig, while owned by Red Bull, have a strategic structure in place and aren't going out and spunking €60m a head on players. They've run the club right(ish) and have been picking up high potential, young players and coaching them well to get them in the position they have been. If they'd wanted to, they could've don't a PSG or Man City and bought a title in their first year in the Bundesliga.
Agree with a fair lot of what you say, I actually watched them about 6/7 times when they played away from home in 2014/2015 season as I was working in Germany and wanted to see what reception they got off each home crowd - was a big thing at the time as they were so disliked. The main problem people have is the 60 plus 1 tactic they use, basically the cost of being a member is so high there are only about 20 of them - Schalke have about 150,000. It does make me wonder how so many fans can keep getting it wrong with who they vote in but I guess once a Club is in debt it’s hard to get out of it.

%^*& them. Better clubs in trouble, like Arminia and Koln, than that Ruhrpot pile of piss.

No, but guessing it's like most ex-industrial places? I prefer Dortmund but not enough that I want to see the Bundesliga lose one of their best clubs.
I'm sure I've read/seen Bielefeld as being good guys regards Rangers (might just be because they're friendly with HSV) but nothing about Koln. What makes them better clubs than Schalke, barring some mentally challenged love-in I'm not privy to?

Err yes. Despite our attentions in 44/45, a lovely place with lovely people. When I was last there their three grounds were still all in situ. Altho' I understand the second one has now been demolished.

As for Schalke itself proper supporters and better prawn sandwiches than most

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/S...rbIA1IF18ItMXwRoKjBL8y7mvTp_S0LAurdU063l=s152

I wouldn't say it is a lovely place like but it's a good drink and atmosphere!
I know a bit tongue in cheek that. I used to stay in Marl & Recklinghausen when I visited. My friends have now retired to Saxony so probably not again. It is the only ground that I have watched a match from an armchair (that's the best description).

No, but guessing it's like most ex-industrial places? I prefer Dortmund but not enough that I want to see the Bundesliga lose one of their best clubs.
I'm sure I've read/seen Bielefeld as being good guys regards Rangers (might just be because they're friendly with HSV) but nothing about Koln. What makes them better clubs than Schalke, barring some mentally challenged love-in I'm not privy to?
Like Greenock, but without the charm.
May just have been my bad luck but them, St Pauli and Preussen Munster were the three supports I ever got into any arguments over Rangers with.

I wouldn't say it is a lovely place like but it's a good drink and atmosphere!
The stadium had decent bars but I struggled to find a decent bar, I thought Dortmund was a shit night out as well, when compared with Duss, Koln, Essen etc

The stadium had decent bars but I struggled to find a decent bar, I thought Dortmund was a shit night out as well, when compared with Duss, Koln, Essen etc
AufSchalke is the best to go to by a mile really.

Aye they both pretty dull compared to those you mention as well as Bochum. Only point to visiting them both is for a match, especially if you like a drink, to be honest there are plenty of German Cities/Towns that ain't that great for a night out.

This is a decent read, mentions the Schalker Meile - street dedicated to the Club really, you go right through on the Tram from Station to Stadium, also go past 1 of the old Stadiums.

Last edited:
Big diddy, but knows where the net is. We were heavily linked with him when he was at Heerenveen.

Can't see any way back for Schalke.

Like Greenock, but without the charm.
May just have been my bad luck but them, St Pauli and Preussen Munster were the three supports I ever got into any arguments over Rangers with.
Interesting. St Pauli would be a write off for obvious reasons, PM I've heard of but know nothing of.

Interesting. St Pauli would be a write off for obvious reasons, PM I've heard of but know nothing of.
It’s a local Westfalen thing. It’s not important but the Munster area (which included Gelsenkirchen) is the catholic area. The rivalry is based on area/teams but it’s also a total catholic v Protestant area. Thankfully religion doesn’t play a part in German football though!

Is he signing for Schalke or what?
Not confirmed by looks of things, lots of questions at press conference and little denial they are after him:

"He's not even there, but it was the big topic at the press conference: Huntelaar. On Thursday it leaked that Schalke would like to bring back the attacker, who scored 126 goals for Royal Blues in 240 competitive games from 2010 to 2017. "Of course, nothing is fixed yet. But there is mutual interest. If a player with the experience, aura, personality and quality would come back to us again, it would be fantastic for us," enthused Coach Gross. "Yesterday's game in Holland showed that he still has the finishing touches. He is a personality who would do us good."

Last edited:

Klaas-Jan Huntelaar has returned to Schalke from Ajax until the end of the season in a boost the Royal Blues' attack as they look to stave off relegation.

The 37-year-old signed the short-term contract at Schalke on Tuesday, completing a return to the Veltins Arena, where he spent seven years of his career between 2010 and 2017.

"We need to win a lot of games and in order to do that we have to score goals to climb up the table," Huntelaar, who will now wear the number 21 shirt, told Schalke's official website. "I want to contribute my part to helping us avoid relegation. Schalke belong in the Bundesliga. Now it's up to us to make sure we stay there."

Huntelaar scored 126 goals in 239 competitive appearances for Schalke, helping them win the 2011 *** Cup, while he also finished as the Bundesliga's top scorer in 2011/12 with 29 goals.

"When you've played for Schalke, you're infected by this Schalke virus. He's said himself that he looks back fondly on his time here, and has very, very good memories," said Schalke coach Christian Gross of Huntelaar's return. "My feeling from him is that he would love to take on this challenge, and that deserves a lot of respect.

"The man, his personality, his past at Schalke - I'm convinced he can help us in many ways, and he could certainly help [Matthew] Hoppe too – he could definitely learn a lot from him. It would do us the world of good."

The Dutchman originally made a name for himself in his homeland at both Heerenveen and Ajax, before joining Real Madrid in 2008. He was in the Spanish capital for just one season, scoring eight times in 20 league outings, before a one-year loan to AC Milan prior to his move to Germany .

Watch: Huntelaar's top 5 Bundesliga goals

resp_live_placeholder_image_home.jpg

After leaving Schalke almost four years ago, Huntelaar returned to Ajax in 2017, winning the Dutch league title twice.

He has been largely used as a substitute in 2020/21, however, and announced towards the end of last year that he would be retiring from the game for good at the end of the current season.

Following the arrival of Sead Kolasinac, Huntelaar is Schalke's second signing of the winter transfer window as they look to familiar and experienced faces to help them climb the table and avoid relegation.

Tell you what though, they play Cologne today - 530 live on BT and then Sunday they are at home to Bayern. They could be completely done for in my opinion by the end of the week.

Back