Klopp - Premier League Manager of the Season

Guardiola inherited a team that finished 4th and has made them the most dominant team in the PL era.

First English treble, countless trophies, first 100 points league season. Levels above Klopp.
Levels above? Behave.

He achieved what Pep was brought in to do with way less money spent.

Liverpool hadn’t won the title for decades, they were miles off it, City had won the title twice in recent seasons before Pep took over, they were contenders with or without Pep in charge.

Guardiola inherited a team that finished 4th and has made them the most dominant team in the PL era.

First English treble, countless trophies, first 100 points league season. Levels above Klopp.
Yeah but Klopp’s had to make do with shopping at Aldi, spending a mere £75m on his centre half (whom they outbid City for somewhat ironically), and £60m on their keeper (that’s about the same as De Bruyne), and about the same for Kieta and Lucas Diaz. Also his spending doesn’t even count because they sold Coutinho (whom he didn’t sign) for £150m, and also he took over a team that were nearly relegated, because Liverpool didn’t almost win the league under Brendan Rodgers less than a year and a half prior :))

Dipper sympathisers once again showing those undeniable parallels of delusion that exist between them and a certain support from the east end of Glasgow. If they’re not careful their quadruple could end up being reduced to a league cup and an FA cup, both won on penalties. But given the tight financial restrictions the poverty stricken scousers operate under 2nd is as good as 1st really. I’m sure boys on here wanted the likes of Alex Smith and Tommy Burns to take the league manager of the year awards ahead of Walter when they ran us close but without spending as much as we’d spent :oops:

Levels above? Behave.

He achieved what Pep was brought in to do with way less money spent.

Liverpool hadn’t won the title for decades, they were miles off it, City had won the title twice in recent seasons before Pep took over, they were contenders with or without Pep in charge.
You telling me Liverpool weren’t contenders when they were a Gerrard slip away from winning the league title under the mighty Brendan Rodgers not much more than a year prior to Klopp’s arrival? You can’t knock his European achievements, but everyone knows there’s an element of luck in cup football, which means one side might need to beat a 7th placed la liga side to advance to a final while the other might need to overcome the Spanish champions and the best centre forward in the world.

The same can’t really be said of a 38 game season, and that’s Guardiola won 4 out of the last 5 now. A level of dominance that hasn’t really been seen outside of Sir Alex Ferguson.

You telling me Liverpool weren’t contenders when they were a Gerrard slip away from winning the league title under the mighty Brendan Rodgers not much more than a year prior to Klopp’s arrival? You can’t knock his European achievements, but everyone knows there’s an element of luck in cup football, which means one side might need to beat a 7th placed la liga side to advance to a final while the other might need to overcome the Spanish champions and the best centre forward in the world.

The same can’t really be said of a 38 game season, and that’s Guardiola won 4 out of the last 5 now. A level of dominance that hasn’t really been seen outside of Sir Alex Ferguson.
Klopp has a net spend of 150 million, they hadn’t won title in decades, City had won title twice in previous years before Pep arrived.

A blind man and anyone with a modicum of football knowledge will recognise Klopps achievements outweigh Pep’s.

It’s been mentioned countless times, Pep was brought in to try and bring the Champions League to city, it’s the logical next step.

It’s ironic that his main rival has had far better success in this field, spending way less in the process.

Why do people always peddle the myth that Klopp's been scrimping and saving in order to put a team together? He broke the world record transfers for a goalkeeper and defender ffs.

Liverpool won the lottery when selling Coutinho to Barca. They knew they could name their price since they just got their Neymar money.

Klopp has a net spend of 150 million, they hadn’t won title in decades, City had won title twice in previous years before Pep arrived.

A blind man and anyone with a modicum of football knowledge will recognise Klopps achievements outweigh Pep’s.

It’s been mentioned countless times, Pep was brought in to try and bring the Champions League to city, it’s the logical next step.

It’s ironic that his main rival has had far better success in this field, spending way less in the process.
LOL. I feel like you’ve done a good job of disproving that here. The net spend thing is bollocks too, that’s largely down to flogging players he never even brought to club, and it’s particularly attributable to an astronomical fee received for Coutinho. So forget that straw man bollocks and instead just look at the mega bucks he’s actually spent on the squad, which includes outbidding City for his star defender.

And sorry, but to go back to the point you’ve carefully side stepped. Liverpool were a baw hair from winning the league under Brendan Rodgers shortly before Klopp arrived, are you saying they weren’t contenders? City had just finished 4th when Guardiola rolled up. And regarding Europe, you probably think Roberto Di Matteo was a better manager for Chelsea than Mourinho was. Also have to say I wasn’t aware Klopp’s solitary CL winners medal was regarded as a far better success than Guardiola’s two CL winners medals. Must be that heightened perception and knowledge you’ve got :))

LOL. I feel like you’ve done a good job of disproving that here. The net spend thing is bollocks too, that’s largely down to flogging players he never even brought to club, and it’s particularly attributable to an astronomical fee received for Coutinho. So forget that straw man bollocks and instead just look at the mega bucks he’s actually spent on the squad, which includes outbidding City for his star defender.

And sorry, but to go back to the point you’ve carefully side stepped. Liverpool were a baw hair from winning the league under Brendan Rodgers shortly before Klopp arrived, are you saying they weren’t contenders? City had just finished 4th when Guardiola rolled up. And regarding Europe, you probably think Roberto Di Matteo was a better manager for Chelsea than Mourinho was. Also have to say I wasn’t aware Klopp’s solitary CL winners medal was regarded as a far better success than Guardiola’s two CL winners medals. Must be that heightened perception and knowledge you’ve got :))
Net spend is bollocks :))

Seriously, the net spend doesn’t matter?

Pep has spent hundreds of millions more than Klopp, that’s a cold hard fact.

It also matters little that Liverpool were a baw hair from winning the title, they never won it until Klopp arrived, again that’s a fact

They are about to play in their 3rd Champions League final on Saturday, that’s what Pep was brought in for, previous managers won them the title, he was brought in deliver Champions League success.

Let it go Pep, you know fine it's not just based on league performance
It’s the Premier League manager of the year it should be based on the league. For what it’s worth I would’ve given it to Potter or to Thomas Frank, two managers who’ve overachieved and some a great job at their clubs. Not really sure why Klopp gets it for finishing second in the league.

It’s the Premier League manager of the year it should be based on the league. For what it’s worth I would’ve given it to Potter or to Thomas Frank, two managers who’ve overachieved and some a great job at their clubs. Not really sure why Klopp gets it for finishing second in the league.
Again, it's an award for the manager in the PL deemed as being the best for the season, not just for league performance, 1 point from winning the league, winner of 2 cup competitions and CL finalists and you don't see why he's been given it ? :)) :))

Maybe you could create your own award and base it purely on league performance ? I'm sure Pep or whoever else would be honoured to receive it

Again, it's an award for the manager in the PL deemed as being the best for the season, not just for league performance, 1 point from winning the league, winner of 2 cup competitions and CL finalists and you don't see why he's been given it ? :)) :))

Maybe you could create your own award and base it purely on league performance ? I'm sure Pep or whoever else would be honoured to receive it
“The most outstanding manager in each given Premier League season”

Again, I’m not sure what your obsession with Pep is or why you keep mentioning him. I wouldn’t have given it to him as I’ve said already.

Compare to Scotland - Klopp has won it for what he has done in Europe and the cups. North of the border such external factors have been parked this season..

It also matters little that Liverpool were a baw hair from winning the title, they never won it until Klopp arrived, again that’s a fact

They are about to play in their 3rd Champions League final on Saturday, that’s what Pep was brought in for, previous managers won them the title, he was brought in deliver Champions League success.

Klopps about to win the same number of Champions League trophies as Pep has in his entire career, with a Liverpool side that, on paper, is nowhere near Peps Barca or Munich teams.

Peps a great manager, only a fool would argue otherwise, but hes failed in his Man City remit. He was brought in to win a Champions League trophy. Not spend hundreds of millions a season to win a trophy thats a toss-up between City and Liverpool.

“The most outstanding manager in each given Premier League season”

Again, I’m not sure what your obsession with Pep is or why you keep mentioning him. I wouldn’t have given it to him as I’ve said already.
Assuming you're just trolling now, are you refusing to accept that what Liverpool have achieved this season is outstanding ?

Christ, so how he’s had far more success because he’s fallen short and been runner up more times? That supersedes winning it? That’s the sort of logic that goes down a storm in the east end. Wooooooo, vice champions!! They’re about to play in their 3rd CL final, the same number of finals Guardiola’s been in…..

Yes net spend is straw man bollocks, that’s why it’s practically only ever spoken about by scousers with their tim-like mentality and penchant for mental gymnastics. You’re crediting Klopp for getting big fees for Rodgers’ players. But that’s really down to the higher ups at the club successfully mugging off Barca on account of them having just received a fortune for the Neymar deal. They even got a big fees for Benteke and Solanke ffs. All the while Klopp’s set new world records for fees spent on a centre half and goalkeeper.

I’m not sure you’re old enough to remember 9 in a row. But in your eyes, I’m guessing Walter’s achievements were diluted on the basis of having spent more money than the rest of the sides in the league?

Lastly, the bolded part. Yes it does matter, because you said they were “miles off” winning the league when they were a baw hair away from doing just that little over a year before Klopp arrived. So that’s a complete load of bollocks isn’t it? Thanks for playing, better luck next time :))

Christ, so how he’s had far more success because he’s fallen short and been runner up more times? That supersedes winning it? That’s the sort of logic that goes down a storm in the east end. Wooooooo, vice champions!! They’re about to play in their 3rd CL final, the same number of finals Guardiola’s been in…..

Yes net spend is straw man bollocks, that’s why it’s practically only ever spoken about by scousers with their tim-like mentality and penchant for mental gymnastics. You’re crediting Klopp for getting big fees for Rodgers’ players. But that’s really down to the higher ups at the club successfully mugging off Barca on account of them having just received a fortune for the Neymar deal. They even got a big fees for Benteke and Solanke ffs. All the while Klopp’s set new world records for fees spent on a centre half and goalkeeper.

I’m not sure you’re old enough to remember 9 in a row. But in your eyes, I’m guessing Walter’s achievements were diluted on the basis of having spent more money than the rest of the sides in the league?

Lastly, the bolded part. Yes it does matter, because you said they were “miles off” winning the league when they were a baw hair away from doing just that little over a year before Klopp arrived. So that’s a complete load of bollocks isn’t it? Thanks for playing, better luck next time :))
You’re actually off your head :))

I notice you are concentrating mostly on Klopp and the money and how it doesn’t matter and all that bollocks.

How about addressing the elephant in the room, Pep being brought in to win the Champions League and looking on again as Klopp and Liverpool leave him wondering again what if..

I notice you are concentrating mostly on Klopp and the money and how it doesn’t matter and all that bollocks.

How about addressing the elephant in the room, Pep being brought in to win the Champions League and looking on again as Klopp and Liverpool leave him wondering again what if..

Guardiola often gets overlooked despite arguably assembling the best Premier League team of all time.

On the other hand, it gets made out as if Klopp's a miracle worker.

In fact there are so many similarities with Celtic / Liverpool in terms of the way the media fawn over them, the way they see themselves as the victims at every turn and the way they need to be loved by everybody.

I hope Real Madrid batter them.

Supposing they lose to Madrid at the weekend. The fruit of this season’s labours will be two domestic cups both won on penalties. Is that really something special? Particularly accounting for their very favourable and routine path to the CL final? Especially in comparison with their opponents.

Getting back to the absurdity of awarding the trinket to someone who finished second, I also think Klopp’s had a far easier time of it with injuries, he’s had most of his strongest team available throughout the season while Guardiola’s had to deal with the loss of key players. The only time Liverpool were in a sticky spot they managed to lie about covid to have fixtures rearranged in another stunt very reminiscent of their Glasgow brethren.

Then why are you not addressing my points? If I’m cuckoo then this should be a piece of piss for you. “Liverpool were miles off it”, after coming within an inch of winning the league shortly prior to Klopp’s arrival. Klopp has been more successful in the CL than Guardiola because he’s won less winners medals and gained more runners up medals, I mean ffs that’s nuttier than a squirrel jobby.

And I’m off my head, you make Paul Merson and Dean Windass look like Gary Neville and Gabriel Marcotti :))

P.S - Guardiola ought to have done better in the CL, especially in that final against Chelsea. But there’s a reason only one side and one manager has ever retained the trophy in its history. If he’s failed in his remit you’ve also got to wonder why he’s not been sacked.

Guardiola often gets overlooked despite arguably assembling the best Premier League team of all time.

On the other hand, it gets made out as if Klopp's a miracle worker.

In fact there are so many similarities with Celtic / Liverpool in terms of the way the media fawn over them, the way they see themselves as the victims at every turn and the way they need to be loved by everybody.

I hope Real Madrid batter them.

Madrid deserve it on the basis of having to compete with the best sides and best players in the world to get to the final. Imagine having to scrap with PSG, Chelsea and City to get to the final against a side who’ve only had to overcome Inter, Benfica and fecking Villarreal.

On the downside, if Real win we’ll have to hear about how the referee and the linesman and the ball boys were all out to stop Liverpool :))

Do the people who vote on this have to only take league games into account when voting? The competition is between managers of the league but do they not take overall management into consideration? Just attach it to the league trophy and hand it over to the league winner if that’s the case.

Do the people who vote on this have to only take league games into account when voting? The competition is between managers of the league but do they not take overall management into consideration? Just attach it to the league trophy and hand it over to the league winner if that’s the case.
Even then it wouldn’t have to go to the league winning manager. There’s managers who punch well above their weight every season who often merit these awards. But when you have a side like that Liverpool one and you come second it just seems a bit hilarious and kind of SPL-ish to award that manager the manager of the year award, which is the biggest insult I can pay really.

Last edited:
Well no, Pep has actually dominated England whereas Wenger never.
My point is that Ferguson was the best manager during the time of the EPL, imo, then the fact that 100 points seems to have some bearing was thrown in to the mix. I was just throwing in my own ridiculous measure. The amount of points is matterless and dependent on the standards of the other teams, which, again my opinion, has been poor for about 10 years apart from the few top teams.

Even then it wouldn’t have to go to the league winning manager. There’s managers who punch well above their weight every season who often merit these awards. But when you have a side like that Liverpool one and you come second it just seems a bit hilarious and kind of SPL-ish, which is the biggest insult I can pay really.
He was winning it with about 20 minutes to go on the last day of the season, it’s not like they were 15 points behind. Then take his management over the season in all competitions into account and it seems logical to me.

Assuming you're just trolling now, are you refusing to accept that what Liverpool have achieved this season is outstanding ?
They’ve done well yes but the season could quite easily end up with only a league cup and a FA cup. They’re absolutely a top side but I’m not sure what’s so great about their Premier League achievements this season. Never really a fan of manager of the year going to a big clubs manager when guys like Potter and Frank have done excellent jobs at smaller teams and overachieved.

Then why are you not addressing my points? If I’m cuckoo then this should be a piece of piss for you. “Liverpool were miles off it”, after coming within an inch of winning the league shortly prior to Klopp’s arrival. Klopp has been more successful in the CL than Guardiola because he’s won less winners medals and gained more runners up medals, I mean ffs that’s nuttier than a squirrel jobby.

And I’m off my head, you make Paul Merson and Dean Windass look like Gary Neville and Gabriel Marcotti :))

P.S - Guardiola ought to have done better in the CL, especially in that final against Chelsea. But there’s a reason only one side and one manager has ever retained the trophy in its history. If he’s failed in his remit you’ve also got to wonder why he’s not been sacked.
You keep mentioning Liverpool being within an inch of winning the league, like this is some sort of achievement? Focus on this sole campaign but fail to mention the other seasons finishing miles off the pace, 4th, 6th, 8th place finishes, do these not count?

One title in 30 years, a succession of managers failing to deliver until Klopp arrived.

He was winning it with about 20 minutes to go on the last day of the season, it’s not like they were 15 points behind. Then take his management over the season in all competitions into account and it seems logical to me.
He didn’t win it though, he lost ffs :)) Come on this is mental. I remember everyone ridiculing the notion of Callum Davidson winning our equivalent last season on account of winning two cups with an unfancied side. Well that may be all Klopp has to show for this season with a fancied side.

You keep mentioning Liverpool being within an inch of winning the league, like this is some sort of achievement? Focus on this sole campaign but fail to mention the other seasons finishing miles off the pace, 4th, 6th, 8th place finishes, do these not count?

One title in 30 years, a succession of managers failing to deliver until Klopp arrived.
No I keep mentioning it because you made up a load of fairy bollocks about them being “miles off it” until Klopp came in, even now you flat out refuse to admit that what you posted was nonsense. If I was you I’d get my CV sent off to the Daily Rebel, you’d be shoe in for a position in their sports department with your determination to stick to fantasy and avoid reality :))

And by the way, there’s a lad above who seems to think coming close to winning the title is in fact an achievement and makes Klopp a logical choice for the that award. It’s a mad house in here.

He didn’t win it though, he lost ffs :)) Come on this is mental. I remember everyone ridiculing the notion of Callum Davidson winning our equivalent last season on account of winning two cups with an unfancied side. Well that may be all Klopp has to show for this season with a fancied side.
You ignored the part where I said it’s not like he lost it by 15 points. His management in other competitions can easily be seen to make up for 20 minutes. I don’t see how 1/5th of one match makes that big a difference to management over a season. It’s not like he swapped his goalie for a striker and played the ball boys for the 20 minutes that decided the title. It’s the smallest possible margin and management over the season comes into play.

No I keep mentioning it because you made up a load of fairy bollocks about them being “miles off it” until Klopp came in, even now you flat out refuse to admit that what you posted was nonsense. If I was you I’d get my CV sent off to the Daily Rebel, you’d be shoe in for a position in their sports department with your determination to stick to fantasy and avoid reality :))

And by the way, there’s a lad above who seems to think coming close to winning the title is in fact an achievement and makes Klopp a logical choice for the that award. It’s a mad house in here.
I’m beginning to think I’m debating with a simpleton who is sitting jacking off to Pep photos and having perma rage at a suggestion another manager is clearly better.

Save the reply dude, your on my ignore list.

You ignored the part where I said it’s not like he lost it by 15 points. His management in other competitions can easily be seen to make up for 20 minutes. I don’t see how 1/5th of one match makes that big a difference to management over a season. It’s not like he swapped his goalie for a striker and played the ball boys for the 20 minutes that decided the title. It’s the smallest possible margin and management over the season comes into play.
He lost! You either win or you lose, there’s no special award or plaque that says “almost won”. We lost on penalties last Wednesday, that’s closer than Klopp came to winning the Premier League, but I’d be surprised if any of us felt like hyping up or celebrating the fact that we nearly won, because ultimately we lost.

The “difference” isn’t the 1/5th of the last match of the season, it’s every match across the season including games drawn or lost early in the season, at the end of the day they all count and influence the outcome on match day 38. The “difference” is whether you ultimately win or lose, and Klopp lost.

I’m beginning to think I’m debating with a simpleton who is sitting jacking off to Pep photos and having perma rage at a suggestion another manager is clearly better.

Save the reply dude, your on my ignore list.
I’m just discussing football by looking at the results and what has played out across the season. Petty insults and personal abuse are much more in line with someone in a rage.

Cheers.

He lost! You either win or you lose, there’s no special award or plaque that says “almost won”. We lost on penalties last Wednesday, that’s closer than Klopp came to winning the Premier League, but I’d be surprised if any of us felt like hyping up or celebrating the fact that we nearly won, because ultimately we lost.

The “difference” isn’t the 1/5th of the last match of the season, it’s every match across the season including games drawn or lost early in the season, at the end of the day they all count and influence the outcome on match day 38. The “difference” is whether you ultimately win or lose, and Klopp lost.
We’re not talking about the premier league trophy, we’re talking about the league managers award which is based on management over the season and probably taking other competitions into account. Are you saying that 1/5th of the game changed how he managed the season? Did he do something that suddenly made him a worse manager in the season?

If you’re basing it on “he never won the league” then attach it to the league trophy and hand it over with it.

You seem to be invested in this and it’s not allowing you to see why that tiny part of a game doesn’t change management over a season, whereas the other trophies over a season does.

We’re not talking about the premier league trophy, we’re talking about the league managers award which is based on management over the season and probably taking other competitions into account. Are you saying that 1/5th of the game changed how he managed the season? Did he do something that suddenly made him a worse manager in the season?

If you’re basing it on “he never won the league” then attach it to the league trophy and hand it over with it.

You seem to be invested in this and it’s not allowing you to see why that tiny part of a game doesn’t change management over a season, whereas the other trophies over a season does.
If you’re having to ask that after my previous two posts then you’re not reading what I’m writing and we’re done here!

If you’re having to ask that after my previous two posts then you’re not reading what I’m writing and we’re done here!
It’s helping make a simple point re your “he never won it” point. Not winning it never changed his management over the season because he never won it by such a small margin. A far bigger margin in his favour is the overall management in competitions over the season.

I am confused. Do people genuinely think that taking part in the cup games like Champions League, FA Cup does not enhance your chances of winning Premier League manager of the year? I don't think the only basis in making the decision is how they perform in the league only - or is it written down somewhere that's what it is? I would have thought it would be for the Premier League manager that has made the most impact in the season and all competitions would justify that - someone who performs at the very top of the cup competitions and still finishes in such a high position is surely a very good achievement baring in mind you fighting on all fronts.

I can't stand Liverpool but Klopp is a very good manager and he has done very well. He spent half of what Pep did and still pushed them right to the very end.

I'd say Klopp deserves it. Still hope his team get pumped in the Champs League final.

It’s helping make a simple point re your “he never won it” point. Not winning it never changed his management over the season because he never won it by such a small margin. A far bigger margin in his favour is the overall management in competitions over the season.
I mean I understand the point you’re trying to make. I just think that ending the season with domestic cups is only a serious achievement if you’re not a world class side expected to win the league. Ultimately he’s lost the one the fans really wanted, so it can’t real he deemed to have been exceptionally well managed when they lost out on the big one.

The other point I was making regarding the last 20 minutes being irrelevant is that the league is not decided in match day 38. Part of the reason they’ve lost is because they slipped up early on in the season. But ultimately it all boils down to whether or not you won the league, and they didn’t. And you said again why not just give it to whomever wins the league every year then, but I already said once that this doesn’t have to be the case because you can award it to managers who’ve punched well above their weight and performed above even the expectations of the title winning manager, like Potter this season. But awarding it to someone who was one of the two favourites for the title for coming second, yeah, that just remind me to the hilarity of the SPL awards.

I am confused. Do people genuinely think that taking part in the cup games like Champions League, FA Cup does not enhance your chances of winning Premier League manager of the year? I don't think the only basis in making the decision is how they perform in the league only - or is it written down somewhere that's what it is? I would have thought it would be for the Premier League manager that has made the most impact in the season and all competitions would justify that - someone who performs at the very top of the cup competitions and still finishes in such a high position is surely a very good achievement baring in mind you fighting on all fronts.

I can't stand Liverpool but Klopp is a very good manager and he has done very well. He spent half of what Pep did and still pushed them right to the very end.

I'd say Klopp deserves it. Still hope his team get pumped in the Champs League final.
No, I think what we’re saying is winning two domestic cups doesn’t supersede winning the league when your team is one of the hot favourites to win the league.

As for the weekend, whoever wins I lose, can’t stand either club, but think Madrid deserve it for having to do a lot more to make the final. Plus Ancelotti is much mor ‘real’ than Klopp, who although brilliant, definitely has a bit of an act for the media.

I mean I understand the point you’re trying to make. I just think that ending the season with domestic cups is only a serious achievement if you’re not a world class side expected to win the league. Ultimately he’s lost the one the fans really wanted, so it can’t real he deemed to have been exceptionally well managed when they lost out on the big one.

The other point I was making regarding the last 20 minutes being irrelevant is that the league is not decided in match day 38. Part of the reason they’ve lost is because they slipped up early on in the season. But ultimately it all boils down to whether or not you won the league, and they didn’t. And you said again why not just give it to whomever wins the league every year then, but I already said once that this doesn’t have to be the case because you can award it to managers who’ve punched well above their weight and performed above even the expectations of the title winning manager, like Potter this season. But awarding it to someone who was one of the two favourites for the title for coming second, yeah, that just remind me to the hilarity of the SPL awards.
It’s not based on which one fans wanted most, it’s based on how he’s managed his club, squad and team over the season.

The fact it’s based on the league over the season and it came down to the last half of the league match shows that there was very little difference between Klopp and Pep in the league over the season.

You say it was stuff early in the season that cost Klopp but by that same token, there must be parts of the season that cost Pep, because the league was that close.

If you were looking at it and being fair, like for example if you’re trying to pick one to win an award, you could say it was close enough to say both managers were pretty much even over the course of the league season, and Klopp deserved it based on how he managed his squad and team over all competitions.

You say it was stuff early in the season that cost Klopp but by that same token, there must be parts of the season that cost Pep, because the league was that close.

If you were looking at it and being fair, like for example if you’re trying to pick one to win an award, you could say it was close enough to say both managers were pretty much even over the course of the league season, and Klopp deserved it based on how he managed his squad and team over all competitions.
Come on man, please don’t.

Nothing cost Pep! He won the league again! You can only talk about results being costly if he lost it, but he didn’t. As for what the award is given for - I reckon you’ll struggle to find any another instance where one of the favourites for the league, didn’t win the league, but won domestic cups and saw their manager crowned manager of the year for that ‘feat’.

Come on man, please don’t.

Nothing cost Pep! He won the league again! You can only talk about results being costly if he lost it, but he didn’t. As for what the award is given for - I reckon you’ll struggle to find any another instance where one of the favourites for the league, didn’t win the league, but won domestic cups and saw their manager crowned manager of the year for that ‘feat’.
You can’t possibly say something cost Klopp points and nothing cost Pep when it’s as close as it was.

You’re clearly invested in Pep. That’s fine, but it’s causing you not to look at things fairly. There’s no point in trying to convince me, because I’m not invested and I don’t care. I’m only pointing out why Klopp has probably won it and why it seems fair enough.

You can’t possibly say something cost Klopp points and nothing cost Pep when it’s as close as it was.

You’re clearly invested in Pep. That’s fine, but it’s causing you not to look at things fairly. There’s no point in trying to convince me, because I’m not invested and I don’t care. I’m only pointing out why Klopp has probably won it and why it seems fair enough.
The bolded part, I mean Jesus Christ. I’ve had some absurd debates but this is up there. Pep dropped points that proved costly, even though he won the league, but I can’t say that they prove costly to Klopp, even though he ultimately came up short. Absolutely bizarre train of thought. But you’re entitled to your opinion, but it feels like you’re being purposefully obtuse and missing each and every point just to be stubborn. I hope that’s what it is anyway! I mean the irony of suggesting I’m invested in PG when you’re putting up such a bizarre and irrational argument in favour of Klopp is not lost on me. Cheers though!

He inherited a side on which £1bn plus had already been spent and continued to vastly outspend Liverpool. 4th was a false position, given their owner’s resources.

Klopp has achieved far more than Guardiola, given their relative budgets.

Last edited:
They’ve done well yes but the season could quite easily end up with only a league cup and a FA cup. They’re absolutely a top side but I’m not sure what’s so great about their Premier League achievements this season. Never really a fan of manager of the year going to a big clubs manager when guys like Potter and Frank have done excellent jobs at smaller teams and overachieved.
Fair enough, if you think finishing 9th or 13th is better than winning 2 cups, getting to the CL final and coming within a point of winning the league when predicted to finish a distant 3rd then there's not much more to say.

Back