Klopp - Premier League Manager of the Season

If Liverpool win the CL, then this is more than justified. A treble, and only came 1 point short of a historic quadruple. Hard to argue against it.

Edit: when I wrote this last night I didn't read properly and thought it was just best manager in English football, not best manager in PL. If it's purely based on PL performance, then there's an argument Klopp shouldn't get it. But I imagine that they did factor into the debate that they've won two trophies and are in contention for the big one. The sheer number of extra games may well have been taken into account.

Last edited:
If Liverpool win the CL, then this is more than justified. A treble, and only came 1 point short of a historic quadruple. Hard to argue against it.
The CL hasn’t got anything to do with the Premier League though nor has it been decided yet. Even if it should be a factor, Liverpool’s route to the final has been a piece of piss compared with what City have faced too.

Oh, and I was being sarcastic when I said “makes sense” :)) Reminded me of when we won the league and instead of the awards going to Walter and one of our players they went to Strachan and Gary fecking Caldwell.

The CL hasn’t got anything to do with the Premier League though nor has it been decided yet. Even if it should be a factor, Liverpool’s route to the final has been a piece of piss compared with what City have faced too.

Oh, and I was being sarcastic when I said “makes sense” :)) Reminded me of when we won the league and instead of the awards going to Walter and one of our players they went to Strachan and Gary fecking Caldwell.

As per, as I should read properly: PL manager of the year. If it's based purely on PL, then surely Pep or Howe should've got it.

You could argue that the impact of other competitions has an indirect effect on league performance, just by virtue of playing more games. Still, if it's PL manager of the year and based solely on PL performance, no reason Klopp should be winning.

Don't buy the 'they had an easy run-in' nonsense though. Villarreal beat Bayern and Inter in knock outs, Benfica did Ajax before them etc.

As per, as I should read properly: PL manager of the year. If it's based purely on PL, then surely Pep or Howe should've got it.

You could argue that the impact of other competitions has an indirect effect on league performance, just by virtue of playing more games. Still, if it's PL manager of the year and based solely on PL performance, no reason Klopp should be winning.

Don't buy the 'they had an easy run-in' nonsense though. Villarreal beat Bayern and Inter in knock outs, Benfica did Ajax before them etc.
Villarreal finished 7th in La Liga mate. They are not a great side in any way, shape or form. They’ve got a good manager but with the squad they’ve got that should have been nothing but a comfortable tie for Liverpool. Compare that to going up against the CL veterans, the Spanish champions and Karim
Benzema who has probably been the best striker in the word for the last year or two.

I could have understood looking at the likes of Howe, or even Moyes. But handing it to Klopp for ultimately missing out on the big one with the side he has is pretty funny.

Villarreal finished 7th in La Liga mate. They are not a great side in any way, shape or form. They’ve got a good manager but with the squad they’ve got that should have been nothing but a comfortable tie for Liverpool. Compare that to going up against the CL veterans, the Spanish champions and Karim
Benzema who has probably been the best striker in the word for the last year or two.

I could have understood looking at the likes of Howe, or even Moyes. But handing it to Klopp for ultimately missing out on the big one with the side he has is pretty funny.

And Frankfurt finished 11th in Bundesliga. Not saying that Villareal are the same as a Madrid side who seem preordained to win this year (seriously - being behind against PSG, Chelsea and City to get to the final). I'm just not gonna say it's a piece of piss to get to a CL final. It's knockout football. You can only beat what's in front you (and what's in front of you has already had some major scalps)

And Frankfurt finished 11th in Bundesliga. Not saying that Villareal are the same as a Madrid side who seem preordained to win this year (seriously - being behind against PSG, Chelsea and City to get to the final). I'm just not gonna say it's a piece of piss to get to a CL final. It's knockout football. You can only beat what's in front you (and what's in front of you has already had some major scalps)
Not saying it’s a piece of piss of course, but there’s always going to be luck involved in cup football and the knockout ties they’ve had to negotiate haven’t exactly been in the challenging category. Not sure why you mention Frankfurt since they went to the Europa League final which is some way below the CL! Im sure I heard others say they patched the league too so they could put their full focus on that.

Either way, Villarreal ain’t a great side and barring a short lived comeback, they were disposed off in the manner they ought to have been.

Last edited:
What a complete joke.

Either Pep for WINNING the league or Conte for coming in to drag a basket case to the CL spot.

Finishing 2nd with Liverpool with the obscene amount of money they've spent on that squad is really no achievement for the manky homeless looking one.

Thought that was weird when I saw it last night. As Pep said though, everyone kisses Liverpool's arse.

They are a very good side; 7th or not.

There's four winners of that League really, some big clubs are more than delighted to be in the "top four"; coming first is a bonus.

Clue's in the Premier League bit though surely?

Really strange choice.

I like Klopp.

Potter or Frank would have been my shout, always think giving these things to top end managers is pretty boring.

The fact he’s won one league puts doubt on it
Klopp inherited a poor Liverpool squad, the transformation over the years has been extraordinary.

I read Pep has spent close to a billion with a net spend of half a billion, Klopp in contrast has spent half a billion with a net spend of 150 mill.

City were already winning titles when Pep took over, he was undoubtedly brought in to secure the Champions League, he has failed in that respect, whilst Klopp has delivered the title and the Champions League for Liverpool.

There could be a case for him pushing man city all the way within a point with no where near the resources city have used. But I'd of given it to Pep since he actually won the league. Or Graham Potter for getting Brighton 9th.

If Liverpool don't win the champions league Klopp won the FA CUP and came second in the league that's just about the same as GIO runners up in Europe came second in the league and won the Scottish Cup the only difference is Klopp done it on a bigger scale a like his passion for football never a dull moment with him did GIO win the manager of the year?? I know he wasn't here for a full season but if Klopp can win it why not GIO think our boss done a better job when you think of the money Liverpool has compared to us.

I know GIO never won it but if u compare he should've but as others say they have to look at other managers that turned there club around.

It's a fair enough choice - pushing City so close is impressive considering the relative budgets. He's done a remarkable job over the last few years it's just the oil money has unbalanced everything.

A few are mentioning Potter would be a good shout for the excellent job he has done with Brighton - however in his 3 years there he has spent only £9 million less than Klopp in the same time frame. Over those same 3 years Liverpool are way behind City in spending but also behind Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle, Villa, Everton, Leicester, West Ham and Wolves. The job Klopp has done to make Liverpool what they are at the moment is seriously underrated IMO.

Barclays Premiership manager to me should always be the winner of the league or someone like Dyche or the boy Sheffield Utd had when they exceeded expectations with much greater league positions than they could've dreamed of. Klopp and Liverpool despite a narrow league lose have been excellent this season and potentially a great season if the CL win happens which I hope it does. To me though the Barclays Manager of the season is focusing solely on the league and coming second for Liverpool did not exceed expectations.

Can see why,, no-one could have complained if it had been pep though or dare I say it...Eddie Howe given the turnaround he managed with Newcastle

Haha the Guardiola lovers won't like that, but 2 cups and 1 point from a treble with the CL final to play for means he deserves it

Back