Kostic and their goal

I honestly don't think we played to our full potential(whether thats due to the heat i dont know)but I thought Goldson made a couple of bad passes/decisions just before the goal and he didn't make an attempt to clear the cross what resulted in their goal

With modern technology it takes a catalogue of errors to cause a plane crash. I thank that sums up the goal we conceded tonight.

No one error caused the goal but 3 small errors and some good forward play resulted in a goal. That’s football.

This seems to me to be like much of the goals we lose where anyone of several players have an opportunity to intervene and don't.

Their player on the touchline should've had his cross blocked by Wright, Goldson was slightly out of position and should have slid in to block and Bassey, although least culpable, if he'd been 100% switched on wouldn't have let the scorer get across him.

Wright steps a couple of feet to the right and the cross wouldn’t have come in at that time.

I blame the guy sitting behind me who said”it’s going you be a long 20 minutes but we’ll hold on.”

5 seconds later they scored.

You can put them up for sale, tell their agents to find them a buyer.

They can still sit tight.

I said at start of last season when Goldson hadn't resigned that I wouldn't play him but got shot down, we can't afford to pay a player £1.5m a season to warm the bench.

Goldson pulled his leg away from clearing it to allow the boy to finish.

Good riddance to him & a few others in summer.
Agreed. Goldson constantly gets bigged up on here. I just don't see it. Too many times he fuks up and then tries to blame everyone round about him..

Last edited:
It was one of those.

If Wright had been another yard closer to the goal line, if McGregor had a better starting position, if Goldson had cleared it and not drawn his foot away, If Bassey had thrown himself at the block etc. etc.

It was disappointing and very avoidable but ultimately, no one made a glaring error.

It was one of those.

If Wright had been another yard closer to the goal line, if McGregor had a better starting position, if Goldson had cleared it and not drawn his foot away, If Bassey had thrown himself at the block etc. etc.

It was disappointing and very avoidable but ultimately, no one made a glaring error.
How is goldson drawing his foot away not a glaring error??

Their goal is on Goldson, nobody else. Easy clearance, Row Z. He left it.
Watching it back, he actually moved to
Stop himself making contact with it.

It wasn’t even as though the ball was fizzed in and could’ve gone anywhere, there was hardly any pace on it.

Absolutely fucking atrocious defending.

Hope he does leave in the summer.

Its was a cracking ball whipped in and a striker finish

Played into a area where your striker wants it and makes defenders think twice.

Rather lose a goal like that than a %^*& up by a player which has happed several times this season

The 60 seconds before that were shocking as well, Kamara and Wright let a boy wander into our half until it was knocked out for a throw. They took a quick one, all their set pieces were really quick actually, and we were under pressure

There was 3 or 4 folk at fault for the goal but Goldson thought Bassey had it and Bassey thought Goldson had it

It got worse each time I seen it on the screens on the replay

Bassey is doing a good job overall but he’s still too raw for me to be relied on and trusted every game. Not his fault as I know injury to Helander (twice) and also Balogun means he’s a starter thrown in but he’s got so much more developing to do for me
Bassey has been head and shoulders above all our defence since Christmas.
His progress has been remarkable. He is not "raw", he is an accomplished, dominant defender, and will attract a record fe for his sale, probably this transfer window.

reminded me of that goal motherwell scored against us in the 2nd game at Ibrox. Goldson should have just cleared it
100% but first Wright had to stop the cross then Goldson had to react and when he didn’t Bassey had to stick with the runner. All three are to blame if someone wants to apply % to each then fine but it was a catalogue of errors.

With modern technology it takes a catalogue of errors to cause a plane crash. I thank that sums up the goal we conceded tonight.

No one error caused the goal but 3 small errors and some good forward play resulted in a goal. That’s football.
Agreed but for a defender not to have put his foot through that ball,which he could have is down to bad defending.

Agreed but for a defender not to have put his foot through that ball,which he could have is down to bad defending.
I don't know the thought process of the guy, but maybe defenders are trained not to stretch and wildly swing at a ball when facing their own goal, or perhaps he waas expecting McGregor to throw himself at it or Bassey to be ahead of their player.

Modern football changes by the season, in the olden days chances are the centre half would have kicked the ball just about out of a diving goalkeeper's hands.

Can't really allow myself to get annoyed at Scott Wright losing a duel to Filip Kostic. It's a ridiculous mismatch in terms of quality.

Kostic gets crosses like that in all the time. The guy can rattle it anywhere he wants with basically zero back lift. Mad technique.

Goldson should have slid and knocked the cross out for a corner. He takes the blame for me.
As much as it pains me to watch it again he's looking for McGregor to come for it, after all this time and he still doesn't get it that he's glued to the line.

If in doubt knock it out , 1st , 2nd and last rule of defending...
It's a mistake by Goldson , a huge one , it's happened .
With a little bit of luck on our side the result could have gone our way . Both teams were nervous and we were fortunate on a few occasions. The save from Kent at the death told everyone the football gods were not on our side ...
I've had a great season following my team and have many happy memories , for that I thank them all ...

Looking at that, how does Kostic even get that ball in?
But regardless, the man on the front post must clear the danger.

It goes through Wright's legs not sure if he can be blamed it's on Goldson and Bassey I do think if Goldson gets something on it then there's a chance it goes in given the quality of the ball in and Bassey is ball watching which allows Borre to get ahead of him.

They can still sit tight.

I said at start of last season when Goldson hadn't resigned that I wouldn't play him but got shot down, we can't afford to pay a player £1.5m a season to warm the bench.
Any decent players won’t fancy training with the kids for their final 2 years of their contracts when they have the option of moving on for bigger money. Its a game of poker between club and players/agents but if its not done at 2 years left the club will lose money. Goldson £8M 2 years ago nothing now, Morelos £16M 1/2 years ago now going into final year nobody’s bidding £10M plus. Aribo? Him, Kamara and Morelos need to resign asap or be sold asap or we risk £35M plus as that’s would be their value on long term contracts. We are a selling club and our business model is buy cheap sell high but apart from Nathan P we are failing in that regard

Goldson pulled his leg away from clearing it to allow the boy to finish.

Good riddance to him & a few others in summer.

The guy has been an absolute rock for our club.

Have said this a million times, Goldson & Tav won’t be fully appreciated by a huge amount of our support until they are gone.

Personally I hope Tav & Goldson have many years left at the club.

I took a coaching badge years ago and an instructor who was a Pro Level put on a session on “Attacking from the flanks”.

Looking back at the goal last night all the main points leading to the goal were covered that day by the guy putting on the session.
1. Low hard cross to the top of six yard box.
2. Late direct run and get between defenders.
3. Attacker get first touch on ball.
4. Cause confusion and indecision between keeper and defenders.

Although we were at fault I think it was a well worked goal and it had probably been worked on the training pitch quite a lot by the Germans.

Any decent players won’t fancy training with the kids for their final 2 years of their contracts when they have the option of moving on for bigger money. Its a game of poker between club and players/agents but if its not done at 2 years left the club will lose money. Goldson £8M 2 years ago nothing now, Morelos £16M 1/2 years ago now going into final year nobody’s bidding £10M plus. Aribo? Him, Kamara and Morelos need to resign asap or be sold asap or we risk £35M plus as that’s would be their value on long term contracts. We are a selling club and our business model is buy cheap sell high but apart from Nathan P we are failing in that regard

I get the need to have all our players entering the final year of their contracts to resign but it could be these players have already refused extensions and are actively looking to move on in the summer or are perfectly hapoy to ser out their contracts ala Goldson and make big bucks next summer. As a club not awash with money we cannot afford to put 2, 3 or 4 players, each earning in excess of £1m per year, on the bench for a full season.

Back