Kris Boyd predicts Celtic transfer tailspin as Rangers icon reckons only one player is 'absolutely guaranteed' to stay

BlueMeanie

The pundit believes his former rivals are about to undertake a complete overhaul of their current playing squad.

Rangers hero Kris Boyd believes Celtic stalwart Callum McGregor could be tempted to call time on his Parkhead career this summer.
The Hoops' stand-skipper is widely regarded as one the club's best players and has been a key man during their wildly successful quadruple Treble run.
But Boyd is adamant every player among the current Celtic squad could leave apart from rising star David Turnbull.
The 22-year-old has been a bright spark amid a dreary season and the playmaker has emerged as a key man in recent months.
Embattled Neil Lennon faces an uncertain future amid his ongoing review and serious questions hang over a number of his stars,
Celtic trail Rangers by 20 points and the pundit believes Parkhead decision makers will answer every call related to the playing squad unless it's in relation to the former Motherwell man.

Speaking on the Sky Sports Scottish Football Podcast, he said: "Looking at the Celtic squad right now and we all know the financial muscle that Celtic have got.

"But when you look into their squad - I don't think any of the goalkeepers are up to it.
"You then look at the defensive, we have already been over this, you feel like your repeating yourself but there are so many of them there who will probably move on.
"You could have looked at it for a number of years and said you could build a team around certain individuals, as it stands right now, I'm probably looking at only David Turnbull who you could guarantee who is going to be part of Celtic's long-term future.

"Even people like Callum McGregor, he might say 'I've done all I'm going to do in Scottish football, I want to go on and test myself in Scottish football against the best'.
"Ryan Christie as well, I would imagine Scott Brown is not getting any younger and when you look at those guys they would have been the ones you are going to build a team around and you can bring in five or six.
"But for me, Celtic are going to need 10-plus and when you go through the whole process and structure with what is going on at Celtic at the moment in time, when you see the money that has been wasted on transfers already, and then you're saying go and recruit 10, 12 players, I don't know if I would trust anyone to go and spend the money.
"I think Celtic are in a very, very, difficult situation right now. It's all well having the money there but when you've gone and spent it on players who have not shown they are up to it, I include Klimala and Ajeti in that, it's not been good enough.

"Barkas, £5m, there's a few loans in there as well, we've already heard Kris Ajer, there's lots of things going on within that Celtic squad where I feel, looking at it right now, David Turnbull is the only one you can probably hang your hat on that is absolutely guaranteed to be there for pre-season.
"I think everyone else, if somebody comes in, there will be negotiations to take place and you can't blame McGregor, Christie, even Ajer for saying I've done this."

I’d be happy to see McGregor go. I rate him. The rest are either past it, useless overrated or can’t be arsed.

They are all overpriced so I can’t see a queue to buy any of them apart from Edouard.

With luck they’ll be stuck with the lot of them.

I’d be happy to see McGregor go. I rate him. The rest are either past it, useless overrated or can’t be arsed.

They are all overpriced so I can’t see a queue to buy any of them apart from Edouard.

With luck they’ll be stuck with the lot of them.
The only reason there would be a queue for edouard is down to him being available for relative peanuts due to his contract situation. They were never getting 30 or 40 million for him like they dreamed about.

There's quite a few of their big players entering the final 12 months of their deals. They won't be getting mega bucks for them.

They need at least 5-6 without any one leaving. Would be delighted to see McGregor leave, I think there's a good player in there.

Let’s be honest a good manager could turn that squad into a 85+ points a season team. They need a few additions for sure but they still have a lot of talent.

N.a. mate. A good squad is built on a goalkeeper and centre half. VvD or Shane Duffy. Alison or Barkas.
I said earlier in the season they need to score 3 to win. I was right.

McGregor is good until he comes up against Kamara then he looks like a tiny wee boy.
in old firm games he's the guy who's most likely to do something. he's playing in a terrible team
Turnbull has been rotten the past couple of matches, McGregor too for that matter.
They've been found out imo.
i think it's the fact they've got an incompetent coach who doesn't coach them anything, no instructions, no training and no player improvement - these guys look a shadow of themselves in comparison to the Rodgers era

It's taken Gerrard three seasons to get us back. I don't think they'll recover within a season. The only reason we bounced back after 10IAR was a mad amount of money. They don't have 30 million to spend. They'll have to build back over few seasons.

Where's their leadership if McGregor and brown go in the summer? what young talent players they got left besides Turnbull?

A rebuild when they've over-leveraged trying to win 10 and player sale values are lower due to COVID lol on top of the wage bill needing cut.

It's taken Gerrard three seasons to get us back. I don't think they'll recover within a season. The only reason we bounced back after 10IAR was a mad amount of money. They don't have 30 million to spend. They'll have to build back over few seasons.

Where's their leadership if McGregor and brown go in the summer? what young talent players they got left besides Turnbull?

A rebuild when they've over-leveraged trying to win 10 and player sale values are lower due to COVID lol on top of the wage bill needing cut.
Turnbull will no doubt be wanting out, he wouldn't have signed up for this shambles... oh well, enjoy it :))

Who's buying McGregor and Christie - English Championship, I'd imagine. Are they really going to interest a lower half Premiership side...?

I think they may struggle to offload some of these players.

isnt christie out of contract in the summer?

First they have to get a new manager and back room team in then completely overhaul the squad while the Euros are simultaneously ongoing . They then also face early European qualifiers which will have a huge impact on next season before it even starts. It's a complete recipe for chaos over the summer for them.

All this while missing out on any potential good Bosman signings who are mostly tied down in the early parts of the year.

The yahoo squad is also bloated and full of mediocrity with players on big money who contribute nothing.

No manager worth his salt is coming near them unless they pay out silly money.

- Rogic, Ajeti and Griffiths are complete wasters who will never be fully fit.

- French diddy, Christie, Ntcham & Ajer will be sold cause they need the money.

- Brown, Elyounoussi, Laxalt and Duffy :( will leave.

- Ping-pong, Barkas, Bain, klimala, Shved, Boli, Bayo are all woeful players who will be draining tens of thousands a week from any new managers budget.

in old firm games he's the guy who's most likely to do something. he's playing in a terrible team

i think it's the fact they've got an incompetent coach who doesn't coach them anything, no instructions, no training and no player improvement - these guys look a shadow of themselves in comparison to the Rodgers era
I agree, their fitness levels have fallen, their attitude has changed, their general approach to team respect, towards each other has dissolved.

All traits of TLB.

We can say what we will about BR, but that guy is and was the best manager they had and will ever have.

Last edited:
Back