Kris Boyd says winter break vote was ‘madness’ as he calls for major Scottish football governance overhaul

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueMeanie

NEIL DONCASTER claims that the decision to start the winter break early was a victory for democracy.
I don’t see any winners. It was a RIDICULOUS move.

Kris Boyd has called out SPFL chief exec Neil DoncasterCredit: The Sun
Let’s get it out there, all 12 Premiership clubs had their own agenda on this.
From those at the top to those at the bottom, they wanted the outcome that suited them best.
I have no issue with clubs putting self-interest first and fighting for what they want.
Given the crazy way the SPFL runs, where members have the major say in everything, they would be fools not to apply pressure.
But that’s the point. They all have an agenda, so why should they have an influence on the decision?
What kind of way is that to run any serious football organisation?

It’s Groundhog Day. All we have heard about for years is votes for this and that.
Certain clubs form pacts and some lobby others to go in a certain way.
This winter break situation proves beyond doubt that the SPFL needs an independent decision-maker at the top.
The Premier League in England appears to have strong leadership, distant to the clubs.
In major American sports, you have a commissioner calling the shots.
That’s what we need in Scottish football, proper, neutral leadership on these big calls.
Stopping the Premiership after the Boxing Day games was a board decision, but taken after clubs were consulted on what they wanted.
That’s not healthy for the game. It can’t be. Clubs are influenced by what suits them at that time, not what is best for Scottish football.
There should be someone, just one person, in charge to make the big decisions for the greater good.
Doncaster is the SPFL chief executive, but how many times have you heard him say it’s the clubs who really decide?
Do you honestly think many of them are thinking about the fixture congestion that could be coming if there are more call-offs?
This decision to postpone the winter break is asking for trouble when it comes to pile-ups.
When you take a step back, it just doesn’t make sense to stop during a pandemic when we are allowed to play.
Doncaster said there are no free dates for postponed fixtures to be fitted in.

So when are we going to squeeze all the games in after the inevitable call-offs in the months to come? Remember, there is already a precedent that the league can’t be extended by more than a few days.
Well, what happens if Rangers arrange a tour of Japan like Celtic did back in 2008?
Everything coming from the clubs and the SPFL has been about the prospect of fans being back in a few weeks.
Does anyone really think there will be significant crowds back in by the middle of January? It’s a ludicrous suggestion.
The last short-term circuit breaker from the Scottish Government lasted for months, and the peak of the Omicron wave is predicted for February.
I’d be astonished if stadiums were packed after this early three-week break.
The fact the Old Firm match has been scheduled for a Wednesday night tells you the authorities don’t think so either.
If the police had their way, Celtic v Rangers at a sold-out Parkhead would be kicking off at 7.45am.
Something tells me the Glasgow cops aren’t expecting a full house now they have sanctioned a 7.45pm kick-off.
Let me also be clear, I don’t agree with the Scottish Government’s crowd restrictions. If you are vaccinated and can prove you are negative then you should be allowed in stadiums.
But that’s a rant for another day and the clubs must deal with the reality of what is happening.
I have sympathy for all clubs losing money due to the limit of 500 fans. Nobody wants to see that.
They need to be careful, though. Cases are relatively low at the moment but what happens if they start to rise?
Having chosen to stop playing now, that doesn’t give you much bargaining power with politicians going forward.
Clubs will also be hit with cases for the next while — just look at Dundee United and St Mirren in the last week.
I have no sympathy with the Tannadice squad. Going on a Christmas night out to Newcastle was asking for trouble.
But even clubs who supposedly follow all the right protocols are being hammered with this right now.

Look at the Premier League, where cases are high and a lot of games have been called off.
Given all the cancellations, you could almost understand why they would want a break.
But guess what? They are playing on, as they see the bigger picture.
OK, crowds are still allowed in England, but they also know scrapping games only leads to pain down the line.
Likewise, games in Germany and Holland have continued behind closed doors because they admit this problem isn’t going away soon.
In fact, we must be the only league in the world that has elected to stop playing. It’s madness.
This is dangerous territory. We have rejected the chance to get more games in and taken a major gamble.
Stopping now doesn’t solve the problem. If it did, why are the lower leagues carrying on with 500 fans?
A victory for democracy? Clubs could be the really big losers after this decision.

This decision to postpone the winter break is asking for trouble when it comes to pile-ups.​

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back