Kris Boyd to retire

%^*& Boyd nothing but a turncoat these days.

Utter nonsense. The reality is that many former Celtic players who are now in the media refuse to say a bad word about their club. Rather than be impressed by that, I think it’s embarrassing that there is such a cult mentality. And I hate the idea that someone is any less a Ger because they don’t sing Rangers praises every two seconds or slate Celtic. Celtic have won 8 in a row, a treble treble and until Gerrard arrived we were a laughing stock. Even the brightest blue tinted spectacles can’t shy away from that when they work in the media world. And if people don’t see that then they are blinkered.

Boydie was 4 times top goalscorer in the SPL and never once won Scottish POTY. That's quite a disturbing stat, tbh.

Brilliant news, that means he will have more time to write articles and do punditry work for us all to look forward to

I’ve seen poets getting an easier time than KB on this board...,

Enjoy your retirement & thanks for your goals.
That's fair mate, his first spell seems to have been erased from history somehow!
League all time top scorer, cannot see anyone sticking around long enough to get close

Boyd was a good player , if only he been a model pro like Defoe he could have been a great player . As a football pundit its a no from me . Tho i suppose given the standard of the media in this fine country of ours - oor Kris fits in just nicely alongside Thommo , 'Christophe' and the rest . Thanks for your first spell Boydy with 'The Gers' and thats about it really . Enjoy your new full time career on the telly and in the tabloids .

Regardless of what anyone’s thoughts on Boydy are, he was our top goal scorer on numerous occasions and was pivotal in 6 pieces of silverware , I think we should show him respect, considering he’s scored 138goals in the colours of our club!

Yep. Usual types itching to slate him.

Enjoy your retirement Kris

2 SPLs, 2 Scotish Cups, 2 league cups, SPL all time top goalscorer, probably top goal scorer every season in his 1st stint at us. His 2nd spell with us he was passed his best but Kris Boyd was far from "shit" . Good luck to him.

He got to the live dream. Wish him all the best going forward.

Just stop having sly digs to your former employers please Kris. In sure we have enough enemies trying to stick the boot in never mind friends doing it!!

One of our greatest ever goalscorers and has played a huge part in our history. People offended by things he’s said or not said in the public eye don’t understand the media world. Good luck to him.

Agree with first part, as to not understanding the media world, Sutton, Hartson, Bonner, Walker etc seems to be getting on just fine in it as Celtic cheerleaders.

Struggling to separate the art from the artist here. Grateful for the goals, less grateful for him turning into the new Billy Dodds - happy to slag us off to keep himself in with the right people. Persona non grata as far as I'm concerned.

Boyd was a terrific finisher, but lazy. I thought he was great, 1st time round. He's one of us, but tells it as he sees it.
We moan when their ex players back the bheasts and moan when ours don't back us. Honesty is always the best policy.

Regardless of what anyone’s thoughts on Boydy are, he was our top goal scorer on numerous occasions and was pivotal in 6 pieces of silverware , I think we should show him respect, considering he’s scored 138goals in the colours of our club!
You make too much sense. The world is now run by keyboard warriors and kids with iPhones. Boyd is critical of us at times, but as far as I'm concerned, he's earned the right to voice his opinion.

Dragged us to the league cup final win over Dundee Hibs, he'll know himself if he had worked harder he would have been a proper legend. all the best to him though many good memories

Wow!
Here was me thinking he retired during his last season with us!

Sorry Kris but you were rank!

You’ve also got to remember second time around we were rank as well, with no midfield, no wingers to supply Boyd with scoring opportunities, look at the number of goals he scored when he went back to Kilmarnock.

Agree with first part, as to not understanding the media world, Sutton, Hartson, Bonner, Walker etc seems to be getting on just fine in it as Celtic cheerleaders.

Agreed. But I think all are terrible pundits for that reason. I don’t want our ex players to be cheerleaders. We mock them for that so wouldn’t want our own version of that cult mentality

c9I4U2C.gif

Great SPL level striker...bang average at any higher level such as Europe or against filth. Terrible second spell and dreadful in his media work.

6/10

Loved Boyd as a player in his first spell, his game had flaws but he had incredible instincts. That was how he won.

Remember watching him in the preseason friendly against Brora Rangers at the start of his spell in the Championship and he looked about five stone overweight. Don't think he shifted any of it during the season.

I'll always fondly remember the player, but I have no time for the media personality.

Jermaine Defoe is a year older than him. Application and discipline fitness wise goes a long way.
Jermain Defoe is a naturally fit guy. Yes, he's ultra-professional and looks after himself brilliantly, but we shouldn't downplay that he is a natural athlete too. Kris Boyd never was.

Tremendous goalscorer.

Knew full well the importance of staying in an area of the pitch where he do the most damage. When he arrived at first he never moved wider than the eighteen yard box. Should've scored v Villarreal and didn't score often enough against Celtic. That said, Walter hardly picked him for those types of games so his opportunities to score were somewhat limited. Pulled us out the fire in a couple of cup finals and scored some great goals.

Best of luck in your retirement Kris and try to be a bit more judicious about what you say in public.

What I really want to know is - is he signing for Darvel?

Boyd divided opinion even in his first spell. Caused countless arguments with folk on buses and in pubs. Great goalscorer but his work-rate was non-existent.

Back