Kyle Bartley

Bartley was young and raw but was a decent player. He's a good player now however I think goldson is better. Would have been good to have both though.

Unpopular opinion but the tackle on brown was stupid and the yellow card ment he had to hold back for the rest of the game, not great when playing holding midfield and yes we got pumped that day

Id sign goldson every time. Nothing against big Kyle but I think we made the right decision (if it ever was a choice)

Dont think he ever played for Arsenal at senior level did he? Had Wenger kept hold of him could have been a decent squad player for them as they lacked a no nonsense player at that time

I thought he would kick on to be better than he turned out. Still a good career behind him in the EPL but felt he could have done more. Glad we didnt go back for him though.

What a tackle! If we had signed him permanently at the time I think he could have turned out to have been a good player for us

Prefer Goldson as a player but always liked Bartley and always thought he’d have ended up back at us

I liked Bartley when here before. His callenge on Brown and laughing in his face after it was brilliant.

Touch of the Gregor Stevens about him, hard enough but far from subtle, if he was here nowadays he’d be getting more reds than Alfie last year and SG would have lost patience with him. Goldson for me every time.

Might be my ignorance of his career, but I think that tackle was the last thing he did of note. Seems an alright player that’s made a good career for himself.

Dont think he ever played for Arsenal at senior level did he? Had Wenger kept hold of him could have been a decent squad player for them as they lacked a no nonsense player at that time
I think he might’ve played one game on a tour for them but nothing competitive

Watching the WBA v Stoke game tonight and seeing Bartley reminded me of when he was with us (can't believe it was 8 years ago).
I did a google search on him and found out that SG was interested in signing him from Swansea (or was it just paper talk?)

Anyway, it never happened and we signed Goldson instead.

Interested to hear FF opinion - did we get a better player in Goldson?

Yes, by a million miles

The wanking over that tackle is really over the top. The booking he took meant he was completely ineffective for the vast majority of the game. If you're going to flatten someone then you need to do it with a perfectly executed tackle which doesn't result in a foul like Thomson against Keane.

I’m surprised it’s only 8 years since he played for us, seems longer to me.
Plenty years left in him at 28.

The wanking over that tackle is really over the top. The booking he took meant he was completely ineffective for the vast majority of the game. If you're going to flatten someone then you need to do it with a perfectly executed tackle which doesn't result in a foul like Thomson against Keane.
Correct. Or Flanagan on rogic last season, win the ball with there being no doubts but wipe out the man at the same time.

Goldson for me as much as I liked Bartleys aggresive approach. Genuinely feel that Goldson is improving under Gerrard, especially distribution.

The only bad thing I can say about Kyle is he didn’t break browns leg in that challenge. I have a large collection of butt-plugs and finish the job
Wish someone would. First thing I would ever do if I was good enough to play professionally is snap that prick in half. Most overrated prick I think I’ve ever seen mostly in his own thick head

Never particularly rated Bartley the guy was massively overrated and is best remembered for a tackle against Brown.

That's sums it up for me.

That's what we always need. Somebody who will put THAT type of tackle in.
Anybody who gives it to the lego eater is ok in my book.
Spot on, it's the one thing we are missing from the current squad. Sometimes, regardless of the booking, you need someone who can put players like Lego back in their box and have a limp for the rest of a game.

The tackle on Brown is the most pointlessly revered thing. We got scudded 3-0 that day and firing stupidly into that tackle to earn a yellow card in the first 3 minutes summed up the ineptitude of the day.

Bartley played against Celtic 3 times and lost every single game against them. Two of them 3-0 defeats, the second one which he was absolutely fucking horrific in.

Goldson has been a far better player for Rangers.

Back