Kyle Lafferty lands coaching role as he looks for new club

BlueMeanie

Ex-Rangers star Kyle Lafferty has taken a job in coaching - with amateur outfit East Kilbride YM.

Northern Irishman Lafferty, 31, left Ibrox earlier this summer after his deal was mutually terminated.

In a bid to remain in football while his playing career is being sorted out, the striker has taken up coaching youngsters.

His first game in the dugout saw EK win 6-3 over Milngavie Wanderers.
As he goes through his B-licence, Lafferty revealed how much he's enjoying his time out.
He told Daily Record: "I’m really enjoying it, I’m sticking in and it’s the path I want to go down in the future.
"It’s a good learning curve for me. I want to go into coaching at some point, but I don’t know when that will be.

"Steven Gerrard is a young manager and I’d like to go down that route as well.
"Whatever I do I want to continue to be in the football world, but I’m still a player at the minute."
Lafferty recently issued a plea to Hearts to bring him back to Tynecastle but it is understood that deal will not happen.
Kilmarnock also opened a dialogue but the front man explained how the pair were too far away from anything going through.

Him and his bro n law O'Dea were involved up there but I'm sure O'Dea has now packed it in due to other commitments.

I can't help but be pessimistic regards Kyles attitude to coaching youngsters given his shite attitude at the club he grew up supporting and given a 2nd chance at.

Him and his bro n law O'Dea were involved up there but I'm sure O'Dea has now packed it in due to other commitments.

I can't help but be pessimistic regards Kyles attitude to coaching youngsters given his shite attitude at the club he grew up supporting and given a 2nd chance at.
O'Dea is away to the filth I am sure

What an opportunity hes missed out on! We're crying out for a 3rd choice striker thats offers something different to Morelos and Defoe. As a Rangers fan playing for the club in a season where we have a great chance of winning the league you'd have thought he'd give it his all in training to be a part of it! Just seems like a big waster

Wasn't he at Motherwell under 18s aswell as EK?

Wouldn't surprise me home going there tbh, fits the mould perfectly!!! ;-)

Yeah mate, O'Dea was with EKFC (Lowland league team) as well as coaching Motherwell's u18's but only played 2 games & got sent off in one of them.

The team Lafferty coaches is EKYM (Amatuer team).

The big lad fesses up that he was a bit lazy in training and I’m sure he’ll be quick to point out to the lads he trains as to how that didn’t exactly help him. But let’s remember, the lad played professional football and represented his country, quite a big thing really. I wish him nothing but good in his future and whilst it didn’t quite work out, I’d thank him for his time with us.

I was out walking the dog the other night in EK when I saw a team out jogging and I thought I was seeing things when I saw big Laff was at the front , now I know the reason why .

I remember reading a few weeks ago when Lafferty was talking about his gers exit that he himself admitted he was not a good trainer, and didnt always give it his all.
Stands to reason he would go on to become a coach...

Couldn’t think of a worse ex-player to coach a team. Has a stinking attitude himself so how is that going to translate to coaching players?

A numpty of a guy.

Sometimes I wonder about posters on this forum.

They just love sticking the boot in to our ex players. Especially those that love Rangers.

Weird. Weird. Weird.

Good luck big Kyle. I wish you all the best.

But Kyle Lafferty is a horrible person with no morals, no clue and no respect for Rangers or the fans.

Genuine question:

How can a 32 year old man who admits to 'not being a great trainer' motivate young guys to do what he won't?
A living example of “don’t do as I do, do as I say”.
More seriously, you don’t have to teach how you lived.
For example: how many football managers do you know who played the game one way but had their teams play another?
John Grieg might have been an example, at least he tried to be.

Seen him out jogging past the Calderwood Square in EK a couple of nights ago.

For some reason inthougy he had signed for a team in Cyprus.

what a waste of a career, bad enough fcking it up once at your boyhood club but twice come on tae fcuk. In the good old days of Rangers he would have prob got a job for the boys and payed a mint.

Loaded football player wants to pass on his experience and expertise onto young football players in his own time.
Where exactly is the problem?
Give the guy a break ffs!

Hearts should just stop f**king about and sign him and Cummings, would be quite an exciting partnership for their fans, short term deals in case it's the disaster it has the potential to be...

It’s my team he’s coaching, he’s been an absolute breath of fresh air for us and training has been class, even the mentally challengeds love what he’s brought.

Dreading him getting a team now to be honest because it’ll probably mean his involvement with us will end but he has been superb for us

Superb guy, good coach - didn’t work out at Rangers last year for a number of reasons but hopefully he gets a decent club and continue his career for a few more years yet

It’s my team he’s coaching, he’s been an absolute breath of fresh air for us and training has been class, even the mentally challengeds love what he’s brought.

Dreading him getting a team now to be honest because it’ll probably mean his involvement with us will end but he has been superb for us

Superb guy, good coach - didn’t work out at Rangers last year for a number of reasons but hopefully he gets a decent club and continue his career for a few more years yet

Have heard very good things about his enthusiasm. Thanks for adding a bit of balance to the thread. ;) Hope you do well together.

I've spent time with Kyle and therefore have a soft spot for him. Having said that, I was left shaking my head when he admitted to not being the best trainer and even though he knew!! The gaffer wanted a squad that was dedicated 100% to training, KL didn't apply himself in training. Weird.. + I plan to ask him that very question, in Nov. When I'm back over.

He's a clown of a guy. What an opportunity that he's squandered.

Interesting that we paid him off fairly quickly to get him out, compared to say Dorrans or Grezda.

Back