Kyle Lafferty's Kindness

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jan Žižka

A very decent thing to do.

Former Rangers striker Kyle Lafferty has been lauded by players and staff at Sarpsborg for an incredible financial gesture.

The 32-year-old helped the Norwegian club maintain their top-flight status on a dramatic final day of fixtures last Sunday.

Lafferty played the full 90 minutes as his side did enough to stay up.

With a 0-0 draw at Lillestrom, Sarpsborg stayed up on goal difference, ensuring Lafferty secured a ‘substantial financial bonus’.

Yet, rather than keeping it for himself which he’d have been perfectly entitled to do, he shared it with his teammates.

“It was a generous and kind contribution from Kyle,” said club captain Joachim Thomassen, as quoted by the Scottish Sun.

“But remember, he can afford it! Kyle has a slightly different CV than most people, but he’s a fantastic guy.”

Manager, Geir Bakke, added: “Yes, I’ve heard about this! But that’s Kyle for you – he’s crazy and wonderful.”

Lafferty has had his off-field issues over the years and admitted he didn’t work hard enough in training during his unsuccessful second stint at Rangers which ended in the summer [Daily Record].

By all accounts, though, he’s had a very positive impact on the playing squad at Sarpsborg – a fairly low-profile, unassuming Scandinavian club.

As his short-term deal expired at the conclusion of the Eliteserien campaign, the forward’s future is currently up in the air.

Good luck to him. :cool:

The guy who was the first to stand up and refuse to take a paycut while at his boyhood club after admin because he had a wedding to pay for, before being promply put in his place by David Weir.

I'm sure there's another angle where Kyle and money are involved.

Watched a piece on Sky Sports News about Lafferty the other week. One of the younger members of the squad didn’t drive and Kyle had found out that to get to training the young lad walked every day. Kyle went out and and bought him a bicycle. Small gesture but says a lot about the boy. He may have made some idiotic decisions in his life but he seems a genuinely decent person.

The guy who was the first to stand up and refuse to take a paycut while at his boyhood club after admin because he had a wedding to pay for, before being promply put in his place by David Weir.

It's good to see he's learnt a lesson from then.

I thought Weir had already left by that point? He left earlier in that season if I remember correctly. I heard rumours of him and Lafferty having a fall out but didn’t think it was related to that.

Either way, the CVA was rejected so you can’t blame it all on him. If all the players had played for free, the CVA would still have been rejected.

Doesn’t justify his decision but a guy like Lafferty would probably be acting on the instructions of his agent.

Lafferty is a decent guy no doubt he’s just a big dafty though that’s where his problem is I have no ill feeling towards the guy it just didn’t work out.

davis kind of summed it up for me the year we won the league at rugby park during an interview Davis ran up rubbing his head calling him big dafferty.

David Weir who left the club a month before admin? That David Weir?

Lets not let pesky facts get in the way of a good rumour though.

So you are on side with what Whyte was doing at the time?

Can’t understand his ‘not working hard enough in training’ remark.

Whatever else you might think of KL, he was a dyed in the wool Bluenose. You’d think he’d bust a gonad to keep playing for us.

Even at his worst he was good entertainment, the Ulster Gazelle.

We’ll need to find a reason to criticise Lafferty for this.
I’m struggling just now but I’m sure somebody will put me correct.

Didn’t take long

“It was a generous and kind contribution from Kyle,” said club captain Joachim Thomassen, as quoted by the Scottish Sun.

“But remember, he can afford it! Kyle has a slightly different CV than most people, but he’s a fantastic guy.”

See if that "But remember, he can afford it!..." is a direct quote - that person is a total grade A c0ckwomble.

That is not something you say after receiving a gift - "Aye but...".

Use it as a tax break that really would send the mutants into overload but really nice thing to see. I bet there are very few professional players that would do the same

See if that "But remember, he can afford it!..." is a direct quote - that person is a total grade A c0ckwomble.

That is not something you say after receiving a gift - "Aye but...".
It does come across badly, I wonder if he’s said it humorously and the direct quote gives the wrong impression.

It was a great gesture and he is a player who is generally liked by Bears.
But the most telling comment is the one where he admits he didn't work hard enough in training at Rangers.
Ffsake, we all shake our heads in frustration and ask, 'just why the fck not?' :oops:

It was a great gesture and he is a player who is generally liked by Bears.
But the most telling comment is the one where he admits he didn't work hard enough in training at Rangers.
Ffsake, we all shake our heads in frustration and ask, 'just why the fck not?' :oops:

That was the first thing I took from it too. Claims to love us but couldn't bother his arse working for us.

Last edited:

Would you not be the first to stand up and refuse if your employer was trying to slash your wages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back