Lack of signings?

Blueintheknow

During the Past few years each transfer window has came with a bunch of new signings. Is the lack of incoming arrival a sign of that Gerrard now feels he has a solid title challenging team around him?

Still the standard rumours flying about but we seem a lot more settled in the squad which in the big picture can only be a positive. I myself wouldn’t mind seeing a striker or right sided forward added but there is a certain feeling of calmness within the club now which is encouraging compared to recent years.

I think Gerrard does believe we have a team capable of winning the league. However I'm sure he is always looking to strengthen so wouldn't be surprised to see another 1or 2 come in if they're going to improve us.

I would rather that we tried to save money by loaning or selling players that do not feature in Gerrard's vision of 55 for the moment. I trust him and if he believes we have a good solid team then I believe too.

If the right players aren’t available at the right price, I’d rather not toss money on “second choices” when better players signing may need that money in the summer.

Quality players generally are not available this time of year as easily: example 1 - Alfie.

I think it will be a mistake not to try and bring in some creativity in the wide right hand side of the pitch and also up front.

I think it was said a couple of times that the squad needed to be trimmed. Also that he didn't expect any new signings. I suppose that if someone was identified to come in as a first choice then it would make sense but no point in trimming the fat to then add to it again.

We had to sign a number of players in previous windows because the first team still needed serious strengthening. That’s more difficult now as the better we get, the more expensive trying to strengthen the squad becomes.

Example of this is players like Murphy and Dorrans, got them in cheap and at the time they improved the team but that’s not the case anymore.

I think this season we've clearly seen the benefits of not making too many changes. We now have a settled core of players who all seem very happy and are fighting for each other and seem absolutely behind the management team.

The squad needs trimmed and I'm sure the manager will get the backing if he identifies someone, but its good we seem to now have a game plan in place and aren't making short-term signings on a bit of a scattergun approach.

I'll be honest I'm glad we are now in a position that the management team don't feel the need to continually add players every transfer window.

I'd suggest money is a bit tight for that based on the quality we would be wanting to bring in. If there is a player at the right value we will make a move. The squad as is should see us through to the Summer then I would expect funds to be available following potential player sales.

With King leaving and Docherty likely to follow I’d be surprised if there isn’t a midfielder signed, as we are extremely light in that area if someone is to get injured.

I think the squad is pretty settled at the minute and I think the players have what it takes for 55. I’d be reluctant to bring in new players unless an important player departs.

Would hopefully expect 1 or 2 signings to come in, perhaps loan deals even but as was already made clear to us we need to move some out first. I think our squad has the strength in it to bring 55 home to us

With King leaving and Docherty likely to follow I’d be surprised if there isn’t a midfielder signed, as we are extremely light in that area if someone is to get injured.
why though ? we've went majority of our season without them playing , we have 5 midfielders + halliday, polster and edmundson should we get desperate

I think it will be a mistake not to try and bring in some creativity in the wide right hand side of the pitch and also up front.

Tav is our creativity wide right mate and Borna wide left.

They are 1st and 2nd in the assists table for our league.

You can't get much better than that.

Tav is our creativity wide right mate and Borna wide left.

They are 1st and 2nd in the assists table for our league.

You can't get much better than that.

They are our full backs and if one or other are missing the team doesn't perform the same as normal.
However we have the likes of Barker and Ojo who are not performing well and havent done so for quite a while (although Ojo actually played better for the 5 mins he got the other night than he has done for a while).
The squad is very weak on the this position. Aribo has played really well the last month or so but he doesn't score enough while Kent seems to be pick and choose when he is going to play well.

Even if the team is winning you should always be looking to improve on your squad and for me these are our weakest areas. We don't get enough goals from our wider positions in the front 3.

There simply MUST be a backup striker signed up. If Morelos is out for whatever reason, Defoe is not really a 90 minute man IMO, as good as he is.

You say that mate, but yet, Celtic's main striker Edouard, has 17 goals in 33 starts and Defoe has 16 goals from way less starts and he's only our back up striker.

They have far bigger striking issues than us.

Their back up is a totally unproven and untested Pole with a very ordinary goalscoring record, or an absolute basket case who is still well short of full fitness and liable to go off the rails at any moment.

I know which position I'd rather be in.

They are our full backs and if one or other are missing the team doesn't perform the same as normal.
However we have the likes of Barker and Ojo who are not performing well and havent done so for quite a while (although Ojo actually played better for the 5 mins he got the other night than he has done for a while).
The squad is very weak on the this position. Aribo has played really well the last month or so but he doesn't score enough while Kent seems to be pick and choose when he is going to play well.

Even if the team is winning you should always be looking to improve on your squad and for me these are our weakest areas. We don't get enough goals from our wider positions in the front 3.

I know what you're saying mate, yet our current front 3 have scored more goals this season than the much lauded Liverpool attack, despite having played far fewer games together.

Aribo and Kent have both scored more goals than Firmino this season.

I agree though that Tav and Borna are key to that.

I know what you're saying mate, yet our current front 3 have scored more goals this season than the much lauded Liverpool attack, despite having played far fewer games together.

Aribo and Kent have both scored more goals than Firmino this season.

I agree though that Tav and Borna are key to that.
That can’t be right about Aribo and Kent, MU. Firmino got his 10th of the season last night.

We are in a good place.

We don't want to be buying second class players just for the sake of going out and buying another player. We have come through a very bad financial time, spending money when it doesn't need to be spent is not a great idea.

The integrity of this team is whats holding it strongly together and that comes from the top. If management think the risks of not buying a player is severe then yeah go ahead a buy one as they seem fit but if they are happy just keep doing what they are doing!

That can’t be right about Aribo and Kent, MU. Firmino got his 10th of the season last night.

You're right mate, I'm talking shite.

Firmino has 8 competitive goals from 33 appearances.

Aribo has 6 from the same number of games, although many were in midfield.

Kent though has an impressive 5 from 15 games.

Morelos has almost as many as Salah and Mane put together.

That's not even including Defoe's contribution.

I'd like to see a creative/goal scoring number 10 come in. Preferably a permanent deal.

But I'd not be too concerned if we didn't get one.

The squad did need trimmed too.

If we bring anyone in I’d like a player who can play out wide and upfront, but I’m also happy to just keep the squad together this window while shipping out fringe players

You're right mate, I'm talking shite.

Firmino has 8 competitive goals from 33 appearances.

Aribo has 6 from the same number of games, although many were in midfield.

Kent though has an impressive 5 from 15 games.

Morelos has almost as many as Salah and Mane put together.

That's not even including Defoe's contribution.
Are you suggesting the two in the Club World Cup weren’t in competitive matches? Lol

I would rather wait until the right player is available. We have players like docherty and Polster etc that obviously aren’t deemed good enough by the manager and are just a wage drain. To bring a mediocre player in it just means we can’t offer someone else more wages and might miss out on who we really want. Trust in the manager and his team

We don’t need to make wholesale changes which is good. But we should be looking to strengthen every window. 1or 2 quality players. Especially when we ya e chance of league. Wouldn’t want an injury or suspension to wrong player totally derail our attempt

Its actually a refreshing change that at a transfer window where we are allegedly going to get bids in for a lot of our players from big clubs which we must resist. On the other side most believe we need maybe one quality signing shows you the quality and monetary value of the squad we have at the moment changed days indeed.
Makes sense to cut the squad to bring the numbers down a bit hoping it allows SG to be able to get a young quality signing in the door over to you Papac.

Injuries, suspensions and the amount of games played all start to kick in as we reach the second half of the season. Bench weak when or or two miss out so I would like at least one in if he can add to the first 11, or at least been the bench, no more Polsters squad filler types.

I would rather quality over quantity now that we have a base there. If the quality isn't available then leave it be. Hopefully we do bring in another striker though.

I think it’s one of those where we have to wait until the last stages of the window before making any moves.
We have too many players that could realistically have offers put in for them.

We would all like new players but we had a massive overlay in the summer and previous summer window. We need to balance the books we are still paying portion of wages for alot of players Im sure there are 6 players out of contract in summer whos wages are still on the books.

Back