Lack of subs tonight

Criminal when we are 2 up and needing legs, their manager used every sub and went for it, Gerrard froze.
This ^

How we didn't even make one sub, just to even run the clock down is an absolute joke.

You don't want to be too harsh because what a performance and what a season we're having but these flashes of school boy management is really f*cking frustrating at times.

Sort it out Stevie!

Bassey, Helander, Hagi, Itten, Barker, Stewart, Barjonas, Dickson, King

Who out of that stops the midfield being completely overran the last 20 minutes? We could bring Helander on for a forward but that just invites more pressure.
Ffs we were bumming like stink about our great squad and now you’re saying we couldn’t make a substitution?

The options weren’t there on the bench

Any sub he would have made would have weakened us

So why are these players at Rangers? Why are they picking a wage if you (or the manager) dont think they are worthy of playing 20 minutes against Benfica with 2-0 up?

People are looking for every excuse to make when its about Gerrard. Yes he has done some great things but not even bringing on at least one player at the end is/was a mistake.

Itten, Hagi, Barker are all players less likely to retain possession imo, which is why he didn't change it up front either.

Agreed. I think the bench wasn’t quite right for what we needed. Barker for Kent maybe, but Kent was giving everything until the end. Bassey for barasic? But then barasic has a delivery thag can change a game.

Very tough spot.

So why are these players at Rangers? Why are they picking a wage if you (or the manager) dont think they are worthy of playing 20 minutes against Benfica with 2-0 up?

People are looking for every excuse to make when its about Gerrard. Yes he has done some great things but not even bringing on at least one player at the end is/was a mistake.
That’s not quite it. You’ve got to consider the game and the system, and how the game is going on the night. I think Gerrard trusts those players, but it wasn’t the right game for them.

If we see the game out are we moaning about no subs? If we make subs and don’t see the game out are we moaning about making subs? You’re dammed if you do and damned if you don’t.

It’s easy to say it was a mistake not to make changes after the fact.

This ^

How we didn't even make one sub, just to even run the clock down is an absolute joke.

You don't want to be too harsh because what a performance and what a season we're having but these flashes of school boy management is really f*cking frustrating at times.

Sort it out Stevie!
Remind me how many games we have lost this season? Our best run in how many years? How many clean sheets? Top of the spl and europa league? Aye sort it out Stevie indeed

Think if we had better options for the middle of the park we would have used them tonight. Jack, for example, would have been perfect to come on and flatten the game. That said, maybe a couple of subs to waste some time and flatten the game should have happened. We’ll never know if it would have made a difference.

All this talk of depth in the squad when nobody on the bench was considered to make a difference.

I think these games should be a reality check for our defenders that may be believing their own hype, been found out against a decent side two games on the bounce.

That’s not quite it. You’ve got to consider the game and the system, and how the game is going on the night. I think Gerrard trusts those players, but it wasn’t the right game for them.

If we see the game out are we moaning about no subs? If we make subs and don’t see the game out are we moaning about making subs? You’re dammed if you do and damned if you don’t.

I really dont think that anybody would have been moaning if Hagi would have came on instead of Arfield or Itten instead of Morelos or Kent. Its not like somebody on here is demanding to swap the keeper during the game.

Also most people said this when we were 2-0 up. Not just after the game. ;)

It was a mistake at the time. Still, live and learn hopefully.

Felt at 2-0 and at 70 mins some changes were required.

Fresh legs and break up the game.

Still a great position to be in but more game management required
Would feel worse about it if it was a league game at the weekend but imagine there will be some changes so players who emptied the tank tonight can get a rest

Agree on game management though. Was poor tonight, particularly given the events in Portugal.

Massively disappointing and some rank rotten defending which is not like us. Good side Benfica but we should have been through tonight.

I really dont think that anybody would have been moaning if Hagi would have came on instead of Arfield or Itten instead of Morelos or Kent. Its not like somebody on here is demanding to swap the keeper during the game.

Course not. Not really what I’m saying though.

We’ve seen it before. He’s made subs and we’ve got people moaning that making those subs cost us the game. Here we say it’s a problem we didn’t make subs.

Arfield and Hagi are two completely different players. Itten for Morelos maybe, but Morelos wasn’t looking like he needed off, he was giving them nightmares.

It’s all ifs buts and maybes which is great. And it’s good for constructive discussion.

Also most people said this when we were 2-0 up. Not just after the game. ;)
You are exposing how little you know about football even suggesting hagi for arfield in a game like that

Last edited:
Screaming for subs after Roofe's worldie as we looked leggy and when they pulled it back and only one team would've won it if played to finish for me more disappointing than last week.

I thought this game was suited for Hagi coming on second half but to replace who? Okay Maybe Itten for Alfie who looked shattered towards the end, but I think Gerrard called it just about right tonight.

Don't understand what people think subs could've done differently for their goals.

First one is poor defending initially from Tav (which he held his hands up to in his interview) then an unlucky break off McGregor. Then their 2nd is just great football from some fantastic players.

2 small moments aside it was a hard working disciplined performance, but that's what happens against good teams, they can punish you in those small moments.

Criminal when we are 2 up and needing legs, their manager used every sub and went for it, Gerrard froze.
Absolute rubbish if Aribo Jack and Zungu had been fit it would have been different the truth is we had nothing on the bench that could have helped us as for them using there subs well they had too they were chasing the game. We have played two games against a too team the best we will play this season for sure and we have managed to stay unbeaten that is a great feat let’s just be happy and proud of that

If I picked the right 6 numbers I win the lottery...

You can’t guarantee subs make a difference. If he makes the subs and Benfica score then people are crying about the subs upsetting the shape or the team.

We haven’t even lost the game. Support your team.
Yes, it’s easy after the event to question decisions.
Me as a fan watching?
I couldn’t decide whether Alfie was struggling with his ankle, must sub.
Was Ryan out on his feet, must sub.
Then Alfie makes that run and shot, what do I know.
Give me two draws three weeks ago, ?
Yer damn tootin’
Roll on Sunday

It was a mistake at the time. Still, live and learn hopefully.
Yes, it’s easy after the event to question decisions.
Me as a fan watching?
I couldn’t decide whether Alfie was struggling with his ankle, must sub.
Was Ryan out on his feet, must sub.
Then Alfie makes that run and shot, what do I know.
Give me two draws three weeks ago, ?
Yer damn tootin’
Roll on Sunday
Absolutely. A rollercoaster to watch from the comfort of our home without the eyes of the world judging our every move.

Let’s keep playing football like this and we’ll be moaning about having 8 points in 4 games in the champions league next year.

We rarely play against a team who play at such a fast pace and quite a lot and of our players just got very tired. Not sure bringing on a couple of subs would have made much difference. Looks like even a draw against Standard Liege next week gets us through, so not too downhearted.

Absolute rubbish if Aribo Jack and Zungu had been fit it would have been different the truth is we had nothing on the bench that could have helped us as for them using there subs well they had too they were chasing the game. We have played two games against a too team the best we will play this season for sure and we have managed to stay unbeaten that is a great feat let’s just be happy and proud of that
I am happy and proud, the thread is about subs, you can ignore or join in the thread. Many think we could have brought on a sub or two, even Gerrard thought about it, or they wouldn't have been warming up, Gerrard never used them , I happen to think he should have
Dont know about Barker tonight, other than not a bad idea
He was warming up, but never got on. I think he could maybe have ran at them, that's what their subs did to us on two occasions.

It’s a Rangers fans message board.

literally for this type of discussion.
Agreed. But the manager gets paid to run the team, has a better understanding of the team, the players, their fitness and his game plan, so no matter anyone’s opinion it’s only his that matters.

We have a management team who meticulously analyse every detail of every game, to the extent of using AI to predict and prevent injury to our players. Yet we've still got absolute moon units claiming to know better using words of wisdom like "fresh legs to break up the game"

This forum is a madhouse.

Agreed. But the manager gets paid to run the team, has a better understanding of the team, the players, their fitness and his game plan, so no matter anyone’s opinion it’s only his that matters.
Ultimately he’s the only person who can change anything but I disagree that it’s only his opinion that matters.

Ultimately he’s the only person who can change anything but I disagree that it’s only his opinion that matters.
It is.

We can type all day long, means nothing.

He felt the 11 were the boys to see it out. No certainty that subs would’ve won us the game. All hypothetical.

At 2-1 it was crying for Hellander to come on. Missed having the luxury of either bringing Aribo or Arfield on when the their one got tired.

I am happy and proud, the thread is about subs, you can ignore or join in the thread. Many think we could have brought on a sub or two, even Gerrard thought about it, or they wouldn't have been warming up, Gerrard never used them , I happen to think he should have

He was warming up, but never got on. I think he could maybe have ran at them, that's what their subs did to us on two occasions.
I disagree any sub that would have came on would have been a serious drop in quality and disrupted the team shape the manager made the right decision BTW subs warm up all the time it’s to stretch their muscles and legs not an indication that the manager is thinking about using them !

Didn’t think we really had the subs available for were we needed change, it was our midfield 3 who tired but we didn’t really have an option off the bench for there
Stop talking sense. We should have used the subs. Just because they were available. Some people seem to believe subs must be used. Bet it's the same eejits whinging about making subs the last game.

2 up in control, SG makes the subs and we drop points, I wonder what would be said on here, I think the first one would be we are in control why bother making subs if ever a game didn't need subs this was it. The point I'm making is hindsight is a wonderful thing. They are a very good team I'm not sure if it would have made any difference either way.

We needed some fresh legs around the 70 minute mark. Players had put so much in, SG spoke about the team managing games after the last game against Benfica, the management team need to do the same. 20 minutes to go, a sub every 5 minutes, eats up the time. Pleased with the performance, felt we could have won it, but no complaints about the effort from the players. They are a champions league team, shows how far we have come when we are disappointed at this kind of result.

Felt at 2-0 and at 70 mins some changes were required.

Fresh legs and break up the game.

Still a great position to be in but more game management required
Was nothing to bring on a couple of kids in King and Dickson who along with Stewart and Barjonas were there to make up the numbers.

Hagi isn't exactly in form and then I am not sure if Gerrard is keen on Itten and I base that on Defoe now ahead of him in terms of game time. Point is though the bench was extremely weak tonight but if the likes of Jack and Aribo were available then changes would have been made.

The only real change would have been Barker or Hagi for Kent as Kent looked slightly jaded, would it have made any difference? Who knows.

Nobody else looked tired really and if they did there wasn’t anyone available, especially in midfield.

Is 100% correct, but that doesn’t mean he is immune from criticism when he gets it wrong. The team needed some help tonight, it didn’t come. The momentum had shifted in this match before their first goal. After they pulled one back, we should have tried to disrupt their momentum, we didn’t. We accepted what came our way.

Tiresome reading this stuff from the OP. Other than bringing Helander / Bassey on, what could SG have done? Stewart for Morelos? Barker for Roofe? Barjonas for Kamara/Davis? Played a very good and very expensive team that were probably a bit too good for us tonight.

Back