Lafferty deal close

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank Hill

:)

KYLE LAFFERTY is edging closer to a return to Rangers — as they knocked back a Bordeaux bid for Alfredo Morelos.

SunSport can reveal further talks between Hearts and Gers have taken place, with the 30-year-old Northern Ireland cap hopeful a deal can be struck in the next 48 hours.

The Jambos rejected Gers’ initial £200,000 bid, but with Craig Levein keen to take Lee Wallace back to Tynecastle they haven’t walked away from the negotiating table.

Rangers are prepared to offer outcast Wallace as a makeweight in the deal, with further talks planned for Thursday as Steven Gerrard chases his 11th summer signing.

However the Ibrox boss doesn’t want to lose striker Morelos.

And Gers rejected a £3.75million offer from French Ligue One side Bordeaux after turning down bigger bids from China for the Colombian last season.

Gerrard leads his side into a Europa League third-round qualifier against Maribor with a 3-1 first-leg lead.

And he has vowed he won’t park the bus.

Gerrard said: “We’ve got ambitions of playing in the Europa League.

“We can’t be coming to every away venue and saying ‘Now it’s time to defend for 90 minutes’. We come here to win.

“I’ll be selecting players who can get that all-important goal.

“That’s what big players do. They come to difficult places and get goals in games like this. That’s not to say we will go crazy, go gung-ho and take all kinds of unnecessary risks.

“Our plan will involve trying to defend with a good, strong performance, but carrying a threat as well.”

If Gers qualify they will face a play-off against either old foes Progres Niederkorn or Russian side Ufa.

Gerrard has a dilemma at left-back, with Jon Flanagan suspended and Borna Barisic cup-tied.

Lee Hodson and Andy Halliday both travelled, with the latter set to play.

Big Kyle would help Morelos, by lifting some of the pressure from him, sharing the burden of scoring the goals.

So, get it done, Rangers

p.s. Morelos won't be sold

Depends on the formation though, don't you think?

SG likes his wide men, would he go two up top or am I looking at it the wrong way?

Lafferty gives the variation that we need up front.Would be ideal to come off the bench or play just part of a game from the start

Cant understand the hard on for KL on here. At best he will be a squad player. Happy to be proven wrong of course.

Why else are we looking at signing him? To play him in the reserves? I don’t think I’ve read one post on here claiming he will be our main striker. Fans are backing this one because he is a proven winner at our club and a proven goalscorer in big matches and happens to be in excellent form. But I’m sure you knew that mate :)

Has he ever been sent off against them before ?
Either for us or Hearts ?

No but I do remember the media going on for weeks and weeks after an, admittedly bad, tackle on Hinkel at the Shit Pit. Probably could’ve walked that day.

Lafferty in place of Morelos would be a disaster

2+2=5

Even if we were to sell Morelos, Lafferty wouldn’t be the replacement imo. Especially given that it would take a sizeable offer for us to sell and we would be able to reinvest at least part of that money.

Cant understand the hard on for KL on here. At best he will be a squad player. Happy to be proven wrong of course.
I get you, but I do trust this management team of selecting fits for the squad . H&H said he is a similar player as in he holds up play well etc, which is correct, so he could fit into our setup. I have full faith. I wouldn't have paid more that 450k for him though given his contract situation.

Depends on the formation though, don't you think?

SG likes his wide men, would he go two up top or am I looking at it the wrong way?

No, I take that point. I was thinking more along the lines of alternating the two if Alfie hits a dry patch, or bringing Kyle on to assist if we are chasing a game. I truthfully wasn't thinking about two up top, or formations, when I posted the first comment.

More a general comment that the big man would add to the squad. Of course, how much is an issue if we sign Kyle. £350k (or thereabouts) plus Wallace would seem like a deal that suits everybody. At that sort of money it's hard to see how that could go horribly wrong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back