Lafferty or Morelos not both

yesterday also showed that not signing a third striker of note was criminal tbh

Both Lafferty and Morelos were awful. Morelos moreso with his awful finishing.

yesterday also showed that not signing a third striker of note was criminal tbh

Both Lafferty and Morelos were awful. Morelos moreso with his awful finishing.

Tbf dont think they thought sadiq was going to be as woeful as he is, seen him couple times in reserve football and god knows how hes landed here.

Proven not to work

It also reduces our options from the bench

One or the other lafferty our wide is wasted when we have Kent Middleton and Grezda

Yep. Let’s hope Grezda when fit gets that balance right. He played both wide forward & second striker at Osijek, so he should be a step forward.
Additionally I think we need to upgrade our midfielders to help with our goal scoring. Arfield & Coulibaly have 5 or 6 between them ?
Having a true energetic young attacking midfielder should be considered imo.

Totally correct, SG now surely knows it doesn't work ad won't try it again. One of the reasons I was against Lafferty coming back was because of this kind of nonsense trying to squeeze him in, he's the backup/rotation striker behind Morelos and thats the end of the matter

I was quite clear on my thoughts at the time when it surfaced that we would be in for Lafferty. I was disappointed. Yes, he was a cheap option with our limited budget, but there have to have been better options out there IMO.

He was very poor in his first stint at Rangers. I've never really rated him. I think the hype from his season at Hearts was hugely mis-placed. Yesterday was more of a 'typical' Kyle Lafferty performance. I have very little expectation of him and he certainly shouldn't be starting games for Rangers Football Club.

I actually thought yesterday Laff just couldn't be arsed.

I still think there is mileage with the big man wee man combo up top however neither are wide man and we need to stop trying them.

I was quite clear on my thoughts at the time when it surfaced that we would be in for Lafferty. I was disappointed. Yes, he was a cheap option with our limited budget, but there have to have been better options out there IMO.

He was very poor in his first stint at Rangers. I've never really rated him. I think the hype from his season at Hearts was hugely mis-placed. Yesterday was more of a 'typical' Kyle Lafferty performance. I have very little expectation of him and he certainly shouldn't be starting games for Rangers Football Club.

His performance was summed up when he should have gott a cross in near the bye line to the right of their goals. He dallied and the defender took te ball off him. He then made a clumsy challenge giving away a free kick and handing them a get out of jail free card.

I was of the opinion that I would take him but as a backup option but not in place of a more fluent second striker MB.
His finishing is good to be fair, but he doesn’t make the team flow & link the way Morelos does. In fact he can’t really beat a man.

His performance was summed up when he should have gott a cross in near the bye line to the right of their goals. He dallied and the defender took te ball off him. He then made a clumsy challenge giving away a free kick and handing them a get out of jail free card.
Agreed.

His ball control is atrocious - and always has been. His inability to hold the ball up and then do something constructive is beyond frustrating.

I used to feel deflated any time his name was on the team sheet in his first stint with us. Nothing has changed in that respect.

I was of the opinion that I would take him but as a backup option but not in place of a more fluent second striker MB.
His finishing is good to be fair, but he doesn’t make the team flow & link the way Morelos does. In fact he can’t really beat a man.
Agreed mate. I would have reluctantly accepted Lafferty as an emergency option on the basis that we were getting a better striker in. That didn't happen and he is getting more game time than I had wanted.

I love SG - absolutely love him, but I am disappointed he has brought Lafferty back.

It was just another game that was watched thinking 7 or 8 million would have made a big difference to the team.

If that bid was ever on the table, or bids in excess of 6 million it is games like yesterday that show why fans wanted that kind of money back into the team – that could have bought us and offered us more.

When guys are on 30k a week (rumor) and we are turning down rumored bids of 5 or 6 million they have to be causing Livingston bother not dropping deeper and deeper in a Milleresque performance.

Agreed mate. I would have reluctantly accepted Lafferty as an emergency option on the basis that we were getting a better striker in. That didn't happen and he is getting more game time than I had wanted.

I love SG - absolutely love him, but I am disappointed he has brought Lafferty back.

Agree. I’d only say that he’ll probably get us 6-10 goals this season Moody. For instance the Villarreal goal was a big one psychologically.

Despite that, I’m with you. Only as a sub when Morelos is injured or suspended.

It was just another game that was watched thinking 7 or 8 million would have made a big difference to the team.

If that bid was ever on the table, or bids in excess of 6 million it is games like yesterday that show why fans wanted that kind of money back into the team – that could have bought us and offered us more.

When guys are on 30k a week (rumor) and we are turning down rumored bids of 5 or 6 million they have to be causing Livingston bother not dropping deeper and deeper in a Milleresque performance.

The 19m Dembele missed about 6 against Hamilton mate. His pal Edouard at 9m has what 2 goals this season ? Shaqiri the 15m player missed a real howler on Saturday night.
You don’t get much for your money these days mate. The markets gone mental.

Agree. I’d only say that he’ll probably get us 6-10 goals this season Moody. For instance the Villarreal goal was a big one psychologically.

Despite that, I’m with you. Only as a sub when Morelos is injured or suspended.
Yes - I was obviously grateful for his Villareal goal. But that's a rarity in all honesty. Yes - he will chip in with the odd goal - but the down side is that hen he plays he disrupts the flow of the play and the fluency of the team.

It was a very strange choice by SG, as Lafferty doesn't fit the mould of this team.

The 19m Dembele missed about 6 against Hamilton mate. His pal Edouard at 9m has what 2 goals this season ? Shaqiri the 15m player missed a real howler on Saturday night.
You don’t get much for your money these days mate. The markets gone mental.

I find the entire premise of this post shit.

If money doesn’t buy you much we should have took the bid and shouldn’t pay Morelos the wage.

They where shocking together yesterday. But where they playing together or was Lafferty supposed to be out wide. Barisic got into a few good positions but Lafferty made a bad run and the communication was non existent.

Both are effective as lone strikers with 2 genuine wide men on either side of them.

Neither are comfortable within a striking partnership and Lafferty certainly isn't a natural wide player.

We are unbeaten in every game this season where we've gone with 1 striker and 2 natural wide men.

In Kent, Middleton Candeias and Grezda we have genuine quality wide.

No reason to play Kyle out there.

Both are effective as lone strikers with 2 genuine wide men on either side of them.

Neither are comfortable within a striking partnership and Lafferty certainly isn't a natural wide player.

We are unbeaten in every game this season where we've gone with 1 striker and 2 natural wide men.

In Kent, Middleton Candeias and Grezda we have genuine quality wide.

No reason to play Kyle out there.

Agreed. People are starting to lambast Lafferty already when he's being asked to play out of position again. How many games has he actually started as an out and out striker? Motherwell and Villareal? And he has 3 goals....think he has 4 goals in something like 6 starts overall?

I can see what Gerrard was thinking in a sense with playing Lafferty wide yesterday as they were a big physical team. I really don't like Lafferty wide though, he's rotten out there although he always give you his all so you can't really fault his effort. It happened during his first spell with us as well, he got shunted to left mid for 80/90% of the games and he was poor.

He's the best finisher at the club by a mile play him through the middle as a #9 or not at all.

Agreed. People are starting to lambast Lafferty already when he's being asked to play out of position again. How many games has he actually started as an out and out striker? Motherwell and Villareal? And he has 3 goals....think he has 4 goals in something like 6 starts overall?

I can see what Gerrard was thinking in a sense with playing Lafferty wide yesterday as they were a big physical team. I really don't like Lafferty wide though, he's rotten out there although he always give you his all so you can't really fault his effort. It happened during his first spell with us as well, he got shunted to left mid for 80/90% of the games and he was poor.

He's the best finisher at the club by a mile play him through the middle as a #9 or not at all.

Agree 100%.

Lafferty is a good alternative option to Morelos through the middle and is an excellent finisher, as you rightly say.

However, we have far better options wide.

The same discussion regarding Morelos and Lafferty both starting was had before the game yesterday. If we lowly plebs of FF can spot it, you'd have hoped that the manager would have clocked on by now too. Morelos should be 1st choice striker, with Lafferty as backup.

I was surprised that Coulibaly was hooked for Kent and not Lafferty. I would have thought it would make more sense to revert to the 4-3-3 that's served us well so far this season.

The same discussion regarding Morelos and Lafferty both starting was had before the game yesterday. If we lowly plebs of FF can spot it, you'd have hoped that the manager would have clocked on by now too. Morelos should be 1st choice striker, with Lafferty as backup.

I was surprised that Coulibaly was hooked for Kent and not Lafferty. I would have thought it would make more sense to revert to the 4-3-3 that's served us well so far this season.

I came back into the living room after half time, seen Kent and I thought Gerrard has realised those two up top are not working together and took Lafferty off. Then I seen big Laff and Morelos still on the park.

Not sure of the reason behind it but it just doesn't seem to be clicking for the two of them. They don't seem to understand each others games.

Lafferty is really frustrating, his headers on are shocking, constantly gives away silly freekicks. Hold up play is just as bad.

Morelos is number 1 choice for me.

Agree DB.

I came back into the living room after half time, seen Kent and I thought Gerrard has realised those two up top are not working together and took Lafferty off. Then I seen big Laff and Morelos still on the park.

Not sure of the reason behind it but it just doesn't seem to be clicking for the two of them. They don't seem to understand each others games.

Lafferty is really frustrating, his headers on are shocking, constantly gives away silly freekicks. Hold up play is just as bad.

Morelos is number 1 choice for me.

I think they’re just too alike skill set wise to make a ‘natural pairing’ like a McCoist / Hateley or a Dado / Nacho mate.

Back