lafferty

He wasn't too bad in the first half.Second half Dundee had everyone back and Lafferty just stood up against their centre half ,no movement off the ball trying to find the spaces, just static.Strikers need continuous movement in the box not standing up against the defenders.Should never have got brought back

I was very disappointed when Smith signed him.

I was very disappointed with his performances in his first stint with us.

I was very disappointed when SG signed him.

I have been very disappointed in his performances in his secon stint.

I love SG but I have no idea what posessed him to bring Lafferty back to Rangers. He was not and never will be the answer.

He had one good chance in the game and put it away. I don`t care who`s up front, if there is no one creating, the strikers can`t score. Our deliveries into the box were appalling - I lost count of the number of balls played straight to their `keeper. We were poor all over and the manager`s persistent tinkering with the central defence didn`t help. Worrall`s a lump of wood and Goldson is looking increasingly jaded. We looked at our most solid when Katic and Goldson were the preferred pairing, but Worrall came in and the gaffer dropped Katic, unjustifiably in my mind, knocking the confidence out of the lad in the process, and we have never looked as solid since. Looking inwardly is always a good place to start when analysing performances and trying to understand events that haven`t gone to plan, and I think Stevie would do well to have a long look in the mirror when he reflects on today.

I love SG but I have no idea what posessed him to bring Lafferty back to Rangers. He was not and never will be the answer.
Does that include his performance v Motherwell and away at Villareal

If you are a striker and you score goals by definition your performance is acceptable..

He can't carry the entire team. Can you tell me what decent service he got..?
He got crosses into the box throughout the game
I don't recall him being much of a target
But then again I'd argue he doesn't make himself much of a target
He's rarely going to head a ball - which means that he needs fed on the deck only
To make the most of that - he needs to make clever runs into the box, tie-up defenders & generally offer options in dangerous positions by clever positional play
He generally does none of these things in my opinion

He started off well when he first signed but has gone off the boil to say the least.

Dare I say it but he's been poor since he was in the paper for the Snapchat.

He got crosses into the box throughout the game
I don't recall him being much of a target
But then again I'd argue he doesn't make himself much of a target
He's rarely going to head a ball - which means that he needs fed on the deck only
To make the most of that - he needs to make clever runs into the box, tie-up defenders & generally offer options in dangerous positions by clever positional play
He generally does none of these things in my opinion
Most of the crosses into the box were to no-one or too close to the keeper. The quality of crossing was beyond poor..

What did he cost? 250k?

I’d say you get what you pay for.

He’s a decent squad option. The problem is we need a better goal scoring alternative to Morellos and Lafferty isn’t going to be it. He’s a 10 goal a season man.

surprised there's no been a thread .but how bad had he been .personaly I wouldn't have brought him back

He's from Ulster. That's all it take for some fans to want him.
Forget attitude, application and a small thing sometimes referred to as skill.
A fucking waste of money.

Not really been the same player since that carry on with girl at Silverburn,possibly he is now having family problems.Only my opinion of course.

In my eyes, Lafferty is more of an instinctive finisher than Morelos and you only need to look at his one touch finish today and the one he scored for hearts against the tims earlier in the season. That one today still had to be finished and is one that i could see Morelos fluffing but Lafferty took it well...

With regards to his heading ability, yes, he is p!sh when the ball is hung up for him to contend (Morelos is better at this) but he is better from crosses into the box when the ball is fizzed into him like his goals against motherwell suggest..

With the standard of our crossing which is really friggin woeful and at times unforgiving, theres not much he can do if he aint getting the service. He probably got better service at hearts which is saying something..

With better service and a consistent run of games, i still think he has decent finishing ability. The fact that he was basically the main man at hearts probably made him a better player rather than being the side show that he is for Morelos...

Had to listen to the game on the radio and heard Lafferty's name mentioned once during the second half and that was when they talked about the offside decision on his goal. I know that's not necessarily a true indication as to how he played but to be honest I'm past expecting much from Lafferty. First time with us wasn't any better than this time. Our lack of a goal scoring threat won't be solved by playing him.

Its all related. Lafferty was brought in as back up and has had a shite ride of it off the pitch recently. We rightly moan about all the changes but many would not be happening if first picks didnt make dickhead moves and give some of the refs a shot of grabbing the limelight. The #55 express just had a few leaves on the line

He was a deasperate last gap addition that made some sense

We spent all summer trying to fix our defence and booting players of the books

That aside he is and always has been a pish average football player

Looked lovely with more game time and scored a goal that should have stood

If that was allowed you wouldn't have started this thread

He plays the majority of the game as a proper striker a good 10 or 15 yards further forward than Morelos and much more central.

Unfair to single him out because our wingers flung in high balls anywhere they could instead of picking him out.
He made some decent runs peeling away and the ball was thrown into the box with panic!

Lafferty put away just about the only decent cross today. The linesman should be out the game for good after that
Second half our crossing was awful. Our build up play turgid and predictable.
Lafferty wasnt the reason we lost today.

surprised there's no been a thread .but how bad had he been .personaly I wouldn't have brought him back
Said this when we were linked with his was a step backwards. A cheap easy option but not good enough to take us where we need to be.

Lafferty put away just about the only decent cross today. The linesman should be out the game for good after that
Second half our crossing was awful. Our build up play turgid and predictable.
Lafferty wasnt the reason we lost today.
We didn't, it was a draw

one thing - Morelos can hold the ball up and then bring others into play, Lafferty was non existent in the 2nd half.

I like Morelos yes the bookings etc are frustrating but he bullies centre halves.

Quite honestly Lafferty is a very average player, and really can't step up when asked to at a big club, he isn't alone there.

People that want Morelos punted really have no clue about football.

I'd start him against Celtic instead of Morelos. For whatever reason he can do it against them and Morellos cant. The way we play, with only one striker and out and out wingers either side, it's been almost impossible for him to do much given Alfies form in the last few months.

What did he cost? 250k?

He’s a decent squad option. The problem is we need a better goal scoring alternative to Morellos and Lafferty isn’t going to be it. He’s a 10 goal a season man.

He scored 19 last season - for a Hearts team that were struggling big time for goals.

No offence to Lafferty or Morelos but in my opinion we need a striker who can score in the air and on the ground. The amount of possession we get in the 18 yard box and penalty area without scoring is astonishing.

one thing - Morelos can hold the ball up and then bring others into play, Lafferty was non existent in the 2nd half.

I like Morelos yes the bookings etc are frustrating but he bullies centre halves.

Quite honestly Lafferty is a very average player, and really can't step up when asked to at a big club, he isn't alone there.

People that want Morelos punted really have no clue about football.

He’s won 3 titles with us, and 6 trophies.

He certainly stepped up when he was scoring crucial goals in the games that sealed all three of them.

There's 2 sides to this;

Firstly, look at the sequence of events...

Mid season first time round - he's practically useless.
His contracts nearly up first time round - he starts smashing goals in and wins leagues for us.

He wants a move back to Rangers - he starts smashing goals in at Hearts.
He's back at Rangers mid-season - he's practically useless.

Secondly, he's being used as a big target man which he absolutely fucking is not so you could argue that he's not getting the right service.

Just before the Laff lovers come and give me dugs abuse - I was desperate for him to come back and still want him with us ;)

Thick as two short planks.

Gerrard hammered home the need for discipline and what does Lafferty do - square up to a player on the park? Pathetic.

What did he cost? 250k?

Concur with your comments mate other than the 10 goals a season. Having said that, that is the amount that he will probably score for the amount of games he'll play. So all told you're probably correct.

The service to him is chronic. But let's not forget that he scored a perfectly good goal that was chalked off thanks to a linesman who guessed because he couldn't keep up with play. Hardly the big man's fault.

My only criticism of him and this is a recent thing, his discipline is woeful for someone of his experience in the game. His booking today was absolutely needless.

Gerrard must look at him and think he's brainless at times.

Nothing against big Kyle but he did seem to do us more good when he was with Hearts.
Is he really any better than Herrera who we loaned out without him having a cup of coffee under Gerrard ? A few of our squad have looked like better players under our current boss than Pedro or the Loaf so who knows. We need to make sure the players in our pantry are passed their sell by before giving up on them and rolling the dice on replacements.

Unfortunately with big Kyle, money talks and his football comes second.
Sending cock shots to young lassies when he has a stunning wife at home and a young baby is immature behaviour. The lad has ability but is a bit of an arsehole if you ask me.

Easter rd tannadump and rugby park says otherwise, all last day title wins take a bow big kyle, when the going gets tough the big man delivers.

It is a difficult one for Kyle because to flourish he clearly needs to be the main man and unfortunately for him, Morelos is a superb lone striker.

Easter rd tannadump and rugby park says otherwise, all last day title wins take a bow big kyle, when the going gets tough the big man delivers.
I could count on one hand how many genuinely good performances Kyle Lafferty has had in a Rangers jersey in both spells.

Back