Lampard to Chelsea, how long before Gerrard leaves?

Jackorabanne

With Lampard to Chelsea doing the rounds on social media, how long before Gerrard gets a shot at the Liverpool job? Would he have to achieve a treble here first? Would he have to get to the knockout stages of Europe first?

Just a theoretical, but while we’re at it, how much do you think Gerrard can achieve with us? In terms of European and domestic success, before he can be classed as Klopps successor

Given that Liverpool already have a manager who is classed as coaching royalty and is showing no signs of leaving them then I think we are fine with SG for a while yet.

If the gaffer can deliver 55 this year it will certainly raise his profile as a manager but not to the extent of Europe’s giant clubs wanting him just yet, we are in a footballing backwater up here.

It's irrelevant just now.

Klopp usually stays at a club for 7 years, approx.

Liverpool and Klopp are more than content for a few years, yet.

SG would have to do something special to go straight from us to Liverpool. Not only win the league, but probably do something special in Europe (by special i mean qualify for the last 16 of the CL, or have an extended run in Europa) . And even then part of the reason for him going straight to Liverpool would be sentiment on their part.

With Lampard to Chelsea doing the rounds on social media, how long before Gerrard gets a shot at the Liverpool job? Would he have to achieve a treble here first? Would he have to get to the knockout stages of Europe first?

Just a theoretical, but while we’re at it, how much do you think Gerrard can achieve with us? In terms of European and domestic success, before he can be classed as Klopps successor
Nearly every day someone starts a thread about SG leaving, he is here to win trophies got the bug and we should all championing not to go anywhere instead of the constant threads wondering when he is leaving, all negative stuff usually started by new members,

Chelsea are in constant crisis, moving from manager to manager. Lampard is only being mentioned because of his history with the club and he’ll appease the fans.

Liverpool are going from strength to strength, any other season and they’d have won the CL and the league (the fact they didn’t win it with so many points and only one loss is staggering really) Klopp’s stock has never been higher.

Given that Liverpool already have a manager who is classed as coaching royalty and is showing no signs of leaving them then I think we are fine with SG for a while yet.

If the gaffer can deliver 55 this year it will certainly raise his profile as a manager but not to the extent of Europe’s giant clubs wanting him just yet, we are in a footballing backwater up here.
What has Frank Lampard going to Chelsea have to do with Steven Gerrard going to Liverpool?
Where is this connection or the footballing parallel?

I think much of the transformation that has taken place at Liverpool over the last few years which has seen them emerge from 'contender status' to CL champions, is down entirely to their charismatic manager. Kloop, who has proven himself to be a brilliant motivator, tactician, and teacher. However, much as I like and admire our current gaffer, he has a very long way to go before he can fill the boots of big Jurgen.

Just because Lampard, a former Chelsea player who had an impressive career at the club, became identified with its culture, and formed a strong bond with the fans - doesn't guarantee success as a manager/coach - as was the case with Dalgleish at Liverpool. Actually, I think Lampard may come to regret taking over such a 'complex club' as Chelsea without having significant managerial experience.

He has to win a couple of league titles and get to CL group stage(and not be humiliated in the process) before being considered Klopp's successor imo. Liverpool are on the way to a turnover of half a billion pounds per year. You don't risk that on a relative noob manager.

Lampard going to Chelsea has absolutely nothing to do with Gerrard possibly going to Liverpool.

Neither of which I think will happen. Certainly not the latter for a while yet anyway.

With the transfer ban looming over Chelsea they’d find it harder (not impossible just harder) to get a new manager in. So without hazard and not be able to replace him will be difficult and not guaranteed success so Chelsea fans will need to be patient which they haven’t needed to be in the past. By appointing Lampard they’re hoping fans will give him more time than any other manager. Otherwise I doubt they’d be looking at Lampard so early in his managerial career. Although with Lampard you know he can get free advice from uncle harry if needed so maybe seen as getting two managers for the price of one.
Lampard isn’t being looked at by Chelsea for his achievements at Derby as thatval is not enough to interest Chelsea

Chelsea are a somehow-successful basket case club. Almost every manager who goes there gets f**ked over - yet they keep winning things.

Only reason lampard is being touted as no top manager would touch them just now.

Sold their best player and can’t replace him, transfer ban until next summer.

Can see Chelsea fighting out just to be in top 7 this year.

Gerrard has a good few years yet before Liverpool would consider him

Reactions: MSF
Only reason lampard is being touted as no top manager would touch them just now.

Sold their best player and can’t replace him, transfer ban until next summer.

Can see Chelsea fighting out just to be in top 7 this year.

Gerrard has a good few years yet before Liverpool would consider him
Totally agree with your last paragraph.
The gaffer needs to win us a title before he’s even considered for the Liverpool job. And I’m sure he will achieve both his dreams..

I am not sure i see Gerrard wanting Liverpool as his next managers job, i think he will want it as his last managers job.

He is a young man. He wont manage anyone after Liverpool, any club side anyway. He has plenty of time to get his plan right and watching how he goes about his job at Rangers i also don't think he will be in any rush, he wont want to go to Liverpool and fail, that's for sure.

He will see out his contract at Rangers, maybe even stay for a couple of more years if we have progressed to CL football and he doesn't have an offer that offers him personally more.

I don't see that 'more' necessarily being a money matter. In fact, i don't think money is his driver anymore.

A bigger league, bigger budget, managing bigger egos, he will want to try his hand at that but not within the English game as it can only be Liverpool there so he will go abroad to complete his management education.

All in my humble opinion but i don't think we need to panic. Minimum he sees out his contract with us.

Lampard and Gerard have had 1 season managing a club and nowhere near ready for managing an EPL club. It’s taken Klopp a few years to win his first trophy at Liverpool despite already being a top class manager.

Both managers need a track record before thinking about managing top EPL clubs. Both managers would do well to stick where they are for now and build a reputation.

(The original post is lazy speculation)

SG would have to do something special to go straight from us to Liverpool. Not only win the league, but probably do something special in Europe (by special i mean qualify for the last 16 of the CL, or have an extended run in Europa) . And even then part of the reason for him going straight to Liverpool would be sentiment on their part.
And with American owners can’t see sentiment playing any part in their business decisions.

When lampard gets punted at the end of the season, and Gerard is riding high, I think it will become clear who is on the correct career trajectory

My mate who is an orc told me Lampard to Chelsea and Gerrard to Derby.I told him don’t be so fkn stupid ...why would he go to Derby when he will be managing a Champions league team next season.:rolleyes:

I don’t agree he’d only leave us for Liverpool.

Once he starts to get silverware on board here and especially if he wins a title I think he will perhaps see a lower end EPL job as his natural next step.

I don't see any scenario at all where Gerrard gets the Liverpool job straight from us.

Will need to be successful here and in another few jobs before that.

Klopp could leave tomorrow and Gerrard isn't getting the job - and rightly so. A completely different situation to Chelsea and Lampard.

Gerrard has just completed his first season as a manager in Scottish football. He's still got a lot to learn.

Big season for Steven Gerrard coming up, one that could shape his career in management. I doubt he would jump ship for a crack at an English Championship or Premiership side.

I've said it after McCoist, Warburton, Caixinha and when we appointed Gerrard. The man who leads us to '55 is going down a hero - what an opportunity for any one. To over take the bheggars after every thing that has gone on and the financial gulf will be recognised.

I don’t quite understand the constant pairing of these two guys as potential managers at their old clubs.

If Chelsea appoint Lampard it’s completely born out of circumstance and I feel a bit sorry for the guy that he hasn’t been allowed to develop as a manager before being thrown into the one job he was surely always hoping to get, and in a less desirable situation than he would ideally have liked or expected.

Gerrard on the other hand could win the treble and Europa League for us next season and is still unlikely to go anywhere given the huge success Klopp is making of the Liverpool job.

I guess the question is at what point does Klopp decide he’s had enough at Anfield?

If he wins the title next season, will he see that as job done?

Possibly, and he could take his pick of any side in the world then (realistically there’s probably only 2 or 3 he’d move to).

If Gerrard also happened to win the title with us next season then perhaps the fates might align, but I find myself taking great solace in the belief that if we lose him to Liverpool it’s because he’s been a success at Ibrox.

That’s a trade off I’d be happy to make.

Warburton is going to Spurs..........................in fact it won't be long till the England job beccomes available, then we are in deep trouble etc.

Reactions: TN8
Aside from anyone else’s measure of what would be, “enough”, I think Gerrard himself is here until he wins at least one league title.

He will want to leave with his head held high and I don’t think he would be able to do that without winning the league.

My ideal situation would be that he wins the next 2 titles on the bounce and a couple of cups along the way, gets Rangers on a solid foundation with a strong squad and into a knockout stages of Europa League over the two seasons.

At that stage, Klopp’s time at Anfield may well be coming to an end. I could see Gerrard going there to work with Klopp for a year or so with a view to taking it on fully after a while.
Difficult to imagine Gerrard going to another top bracket English team than Liverpool, and I’m not sure that a middle bracket side (Wolves, West Ham, Leicester etc) would be any more attractive than remaining at Rangers.
Don’t see Gerrard managing abroad, even as a stepping stone.

Yet another thread of "when is SG leaving", "will he be coaxed away" rubbish.
Why can't we just be positive about something instead of trying to will our manager away?
IMO, these threads are quite suspect.

Lampard going to Chelsea is going to end in teams, definitely not ready for a job for that. Then you've got their potential transfer ban.

Chelsea's managerial appointment history has always been something of a shitstorm. Liverpool, by contrast, seem to pride themselves on appointing stable managers, giving them the time to fail and succeed and putting some kind of emphasis on longevity.

Gerrard will still be Rangers manager when Lampard is sacked.

Klopp is loving it at Liverpool, why would he leave anytime soon. We have Stevie G for a good wee time yet.....

I’ve had a mentally challenged tell me a few times now that when Lampard goes to Chelsea, Derby are going to come after Gerrard and he will be away by the middle of July.

Deadly serious as well! :rolleyes::D

Until gerrard has won everything available with rangers i dont see him going. Hes driven by winning trophies and the fact hes putting in requests on revamping the pitch & facilities lets us know hes here for the long haul

Souness left far to early and I'm sure he will convey that to Stevie.
Klopp is loving the Liverpool job and has another 3/4 years before he's even thinking about moving.
Lampard I think would knock the Chelsea job back, he's nowhere near ready for a EPL top 6 side it would fuk up his career IMO.
Same goes for Stevie!

Back