Last night's victory sees Scotland climb to 12th in the coefficient rankings

mkgers

Rangers boost Champions League golden ticket push as coefficient battle off to a flyer
Steven Gerrard's side opened their Europa League campaign with victory away to Standard Liege.

Scotland's push to earn a golden ticket into the Champions League group stage is off to a positive start.

Rangers and Celtic's renewed success on the European stage in recent seasons has propelled the nation back into contention for top table recognition on the continent.

And while Neil Lennon's side fell to a 3-1 opening night Europa League defeat to AC Milan, Rangers secured an impressive 2-0 victory over Standard Liege in Belgium.

A solid rise means both clubs have the chance themselves - or potentially their rivals - an automatic place in the Champions League in 2022/23.

Scotland entered Europa League matchday one sitting 13th in UEFA's country coefficient table.

Rangers' win earned Scotland another 0.5 coefficient points, pushing the nation up to 12th.

And with Ukraine just 0.125 points ahead (the equivalent of a draw), things could yet improve further.

A place in the top 11 is usually enough to secure a pass straight to the group stage, as it's very rare the Champions League winners do not also qualify via domestic competition.

Thought that I'd read after the qualifiers that the champions league spot for next season had been cemented. And that simply by finishing ahead of , Turkey i think, would have done the job.

Thought that I'd read after the qualifiers that the champions league spot for next season had been cemented. And that simply by finishing ahead of , Turkey i think, would have done the job.
That's for getting 2 teams into the qualifiers next season. This is for getting the league winners straight into the cl the following season.

We've got two places guaranteed for next year (both qualifiers). We're now winning points for seasons 2022/2023, if we can finish 11th or higher in the coifficents then that should be enough for an automatic group stage.

I'm sick to death of us not getting the credit we deserve for this. WE have raised the coefficient, not any of the other 3 or 4 teams who've taken regular beatings. Celtic win the odd game mind you, but we are the main reason its risen rapidly. I cannot wait to hear that CL music next year when SG gets us through that last qualifying group after we win 55.

Hold why does celtic get credit for this?

It’s all been down the our impressive runs in Europe while they have been getting humped about the champions league like an old tart at a nightclub for years.
Last year we accrued slightly more points, the year before Celtic did. Hopefully this year we do again.

Rangers and Celtic's renewed success on the European stage in recent seasons has propelled the nation back into contention for top table recognition on the continent.

What exactly have they done, 18/19 was one of their worst in recent seasons. :rolleyes:

Actually two things have contributed to Scotland's improved standing. Obviously our return and good form. But also their failure to qualify for the Champions league has meant them dropping into the Europa where they are able to win matches. I think, without looking it up, they've contributed about the same as us over the last couple of seasons.

Looking at the table, it might be a tough ask to get in the top 11 this year. Teams above us have more teams still in CL and EL. Next year is more realistic, especially when we get 55 and qualify for CL group stages.

Long way to go but it’ll be funny when we win the league, go straight in and Timmy gets papped out in the qualifiers again :))

Just noticed Belgum have 12.5 dropping off next season with the following seasons only 2.8, 7.6, 7.8. That will send them tumbling down unless they do anying this season.

A lot of the teams in the Champions route to the Champions League are levels below those we’ve beaten in the last couple of years.

A very good chance that we’d ease through the qualifiers should we do the business in the league this year.

What kind of Karma would it be if we were to help us get to the ‘golden ticket’ stage and we got the benefit of it?

The Masonic conspiracy theorists would be out in force.

After our away win last night we are in a good position to gain some points here. We should be looking at winning our 2 games against Lech Poznan and at home to Standard Liege. That will be enough to qualify. Anything we get from a good Benfica side is a bonus.

Can't see Celtic getting anything from Milan or Lille tbh.

Them getting out the Europa League group stage the past 2 seasons has helped

Us on own would have seen Scotland probably between 18th-20th at the start of this season instead of 14th

Yes I previously asked that question once we knew our starting position for 2020/21

Looking at the table, it might be a tough ask to get in the top 11 this year. Teams above us have more teams still in CL and EL. Next year is more realistic, especially when we get 55 and qualify for CL group stages.

It's not as straightforward as say Ukraine having more teams still in the champions league. A win in either competition is worth the same 2 points to the coefficient but the key aspect is the number of teams in each country that started both tournaments. Every point earned by a Scottish team is only divided by 4 (as only 4 teams started) and Ukraine divided by 5 as they had more teams originally. Ukraine teams also have more difficult fixtures and should also struggle to pick up victories (shakhtar away to Madrid being a bit of a shock)

Scotland actually closed the gap on Ukraine this week despite Shakhtars win in madrid.

“Rangers and Celtic's renewed success on the European stage in recent seasons has propelled the nation back into contention for top table recognition on the continent”.
Aye, right you are - fucking poet mhedia just can’t help themselves...... scum.

Probably helps that the other team from Ukraine (Zorya) are in a group with Leicester, Braga and AEK Athens so probably won't pick up many points.

Shakhtar got a great result against Real Madrid but they are in a very tough group. Best outcome is they get humped in their remaining games and finish bottom and don't qualify for Europa League.

Probably helps that the other team from Ukraine (Zorya) are in a group with Leicester, Braga and AEK Athens so probably won't pick up many points.

Shakhtar got a great result against Real Madrid but they are in a very tough group. Best outcome is they get humped in their remaining games and finish bottom and don't qualify for Europa League.

Don't see Dynamo Kiev doing much either straight battle for 3rd place with Ferencvaros

Back