Late 80s/early 90s stories of following Rangers

Two from 1988 come to mind instantly. 5-1 v the bheasts at home, absolute bedlam in the enclosure. Remember it being a stunning sunny day as well. 3-2 League Cup final v the sheep at Hampden; McCoist with the winner in 86th minute. I could only get a ticket for the family section, so climbed the dividing fence to get into our end. The minute I started to climb up, the police ran to get me, however several guys pushed me up way high, and when I jumped over the Bears collectively parted like the Red Sea - to spirit me away from the clutches of plod. The celebrations were epic. Also remember a 3-1 away defeat to the bheasts in 1989 when one of our own ran on the park and tried to punch the referee.

Last edited:
Unfortunately you never had or ever will have the joy of going in to their ira infested pigsty. Full of drink along with thousands upon thousands of other tanked up bears and others who were sober or half tanked. In to a adrenalin fuelled pit of hate. Before wee fergus gave the place a upgrade.

To sing your heart out and feel with the support of your fellow bears you could invade and slaughter many banana republics. To sing the Billy boys with great gusto against their 19th Century Terrorist rebel songs.

The icing on the cake was a victory.

Oh the joy's........ Unfortunately you have been landed with the ultra offended society.

At the piggery April 89, Drinkell score inside 5 minutes and I lose all my mates in the melee.
About half an hour later I get a pat on the head from someone then we score again.
Met them at FT when the Rangers end cleared a bit and there were loads of scarves, coats and even shoes left on the terracing.

The 2-2 game when big Butcher and Woods got sent off.I was there will my old boy and we had ST for the Copland rear red section.The roar when Gough scored will remain with me forever.To share it with my Dad was the best ever.The place was bouncing even before the bouncy bouncy was invented.Even he was jumping about mental:))

Dropped an acid in the WRC before getting the bus to porkheid. Big mistake. It was still terracing back then. Mustve been around 92. Hately scored twice in a two nil victory. Couldn't even see the ball in the first half due to the trip. Sunny day. Utter bedlam.
Back to the District aferwards .
One of the best games I never remembered.
Don't take acid, kids.

New year day 94 at the phiggery, 50 of us travelling from Dunoon, 2 up in the first 4 minutes and the poets were losing the plot, then 3 up after half an hour, another game we let them off the hook finishing 4 - 2, that old Rangers end was fantastic and I'm glad I got to experience it a few times.

Clinching the treble there as well in 93 was another fantastic day in the sun singing the Sash in the jungle :cool:

Two from 1988 come to mind instantly. 5-1 v the bheasts at home, absolute bedlam in the enclosure. Remember it being a stunning sunny day as well. 3-2 League Cup final v the sheep at Hampden; McCoist with the winner in 86th minute. I could only get a ticket for the family section, so climbed the dividing fence to get into our end. The minute I started to climb up, the police ran to get me, however several guys pushed me up way high, and when I jumped over the Bears collectively parted like the Red Sea - to spirit me away from the clutches of plod. The celebrations were epic. Also remember a 3-1 away defeat to the bheasts in 1989 when one of our own ran on the park and tried to punch the referee.

My first game V Them and also my first cup final. 6 years old. The 3-1 game did Butcher score an own goal? Ginzburg in Goals?

Some of my best memories of that time came at their midden. Some memorable victories and our end was just absolute chaos. The 4-2 New Years Day victory is still my favourite ever Rangers game to this day.

Unfortunately you never had or ever will have the joy of going in to their ira infested pigsty. Full of drink along with thousands upon thousands of other tanked up bears and others who were sober or half tanked. In to a adrenalin fuelled pit of hate. Before wee fergus gave the place a upgrade.

To sing your heart out and feel with the support of your fellow bears you could invade and slaughter many banana republics. To sing the Billy boys with great gusto against their 19th Century Terrorist rebel songs.

Oh the joy's........ Unfortunately you have been landed with the ultra offended society.

The noise we used to make at the piggery and Hampden was incredible! I feel sorry for Bears who will never experience that and have to endure the PC offended BS of today!

Last edited:
My best memories during that time are of three games:
1 - Skol cup final -2-1 against them - Bonnet said in the program that day that penalties were no pressure on him then super Cooper (my hero) sent him the wrong way to win it
I nearly got crushed when Mo Johnston made a silly gesture when he was sent off as well

2 - 5-1 against them was an amazing day and should have been at least 8-1

3 - the best atmosphere I ever experienced at Ibrox was against Dynamo Kiev
I’ll was right behind the goal when the Kiev keep threw the ball off his defender
McCoist knocked it to Falco who scored
Kiev were probably one of the top 5 teams in Europe at the time

Great times

Around that period Cooper took apart a team like I’ve never seen before Ives Tempere of Finland were made to look silly by The magical Davie Cooper

The old Rangers end as simply_the_best says, was what you could say a out of body experience.

I remember once going in to the springfield vaults before a game, having a dram, a sing song. Then on the way out looked back, and thought fuk me, the bears had systematically destroyed the place, curtains, stools, tables, the lot.

But when you were in the midst of a solid sing song you never noticed the demolition job taking place :D

New year day 94 at the phiggery, 50 of us travelling from Dunoon, 2 up in the first 4 minutes and the poets were losing the plot, then 3 up after half an hour, another game we let them off the hook finishing 4 - 2, that old Rangers end was fantastic and I'm glad I got to experience it a few times.

Clinching the treble there as well in 93 was another fantastic day in the sun singing the Sash in the jungle :cool:
Brilliant day. We were dancing around under a massive flag at half time and there was a cop with us bouncing around as well. Tims were fighting amongst themselves. Great atmosphere - but what a coup that place was.

Another daft memory. Being allowed into The Festival (boozer) as long as I didn’t leave the pool table area. :)

November 88 is Butcher OG,Ginzburg played in 1-1 draw at Parkhead in Aug 89(Mojo first game against them)

Butcher scored after 5 minutes?

Funny story about that. I was at the reserve game at Ibrox as was the norm back then. The ball was back with our keeper who iirc was Lyndsay Hamilton. Anyway the bears in attendance are going absolutely mental and I’m wondering wtf is going on. ‘Butcher has scored, Butcher has scored’ folk are shouting.

Genuinely had no clue what was going on, I mean Butcher wasn’t even playing from what I could see.

Ah to be 7 again :)

Getting left outside the boozer for a good hour or so no matter the weather:))
Hahahaha.
I was a regular outside the Clachan for years as a kid. Early to mid 70's. Loved the smell of beer and cigarettes when the door of the wee bothy lounge opened up. Tried to catch a glimpse of my old man (occasionaly my mum too) when someone came out or went in.
Changed days.

Butcher scored after 5 minutes?

Funny story about that. I was at the reserve game at Ibrox as was the norm back then. The ball was back with our keeper who iirc was Lyndsay Hamilton. Anyway the bears in attendance are going absolutely mental and I’m wondering wtf is going on. ‘Butcher has scored, Butcher has scored’ folk are shouting.

Genuinely had no clue what was going on, I mean Butcher wasn’t even playing from what I could see.

Ah to be 7 again :)
Butcher did score after 5 minutes for us (Aug 89) the own goal was (Nov 88)

Leeds in 92 was an incredible night at Ibrox, the celebrations after the away leg lasted long into the night at home, we had some run of games in the autumn of 92, won at the phiggery 1 0, beat the sheep to win the LCF and home and away wins v Leeds.
Ah, but the eerie silence for those few seconds after McAllister scored.

The 80 's and early 90's we had the maddest bus going.

Fu.ckin bedlam everywhere we went but I wouldn't change it for the world.
We've lost a couple of lads along the way and some have fell on hard times unfortunately.
What a fu.ckin period following the Bears but eventually you've got to grow up.

Haha they generally were mate. Mind the one at Tannadice which was his last game for us.

Yep Walters penalty wasn’t it? What a player he was. My favourite player as a youngster.
I forgot about that one at Tannadice,that was another fucking belter,we lost that day 2-1.I saw him play an hour of a reserve game at Ibrox the day before 1990 Skol Cup Final.Fucking mad how things like that stick in your head and I couldn't tell you what I was doing this morning

Bomber making it 3-1 on NY day 1992. Absolute bedlam in the Rangers end.
Had a ticket for that game. Didnt make it. i had just pulled the night before with the girl who would become my wife. No buses or trains that day. No mobile phones. So, some other lucky bear would have gotten my ticket. The game was not live on tv, very few games were back then. Gerry McNee comentating on the radio, and highlights later that evening.
Anyway the marriage ended in 99 so with hindsight, should've just gone to the match.

I forgot about that one at Tannadice,that was another fucking belter,we lost that day 2-1.I saw him play an hour of a reserve game at Ibrox the day before 1990 Skol Cup Final.Fucking mad how things like that stick in your head and I couldn't tell you what I was doing this morning

Aye he had been dropped for the semi final I’m sure, I remember everyone ranting about it on the terrace before the game.

Alex Miller scoring last minute winner at piggery. Think it was 1980. First time we had won there in years. Last minute and Rangers end erupted.
All the league championship wins especially memorable when we won at Easter Rd to stop their 10 in a row.

Had a ticket for that game. Didnt make it. i had just pulled the night before with the girl who would become my wife. No buses or trains that day. No mobile phones. So, some other lucky bear would have gotten my ticket. The game was not live on tv, very few games were back then. Gerry McNee comentating on the radio, and highlights later that evening.
Anyway the marriage ended in 99 so with hindsight, should've just gone to the match.

My auld man was at that game with a broken leg. Full leg plaster cast the lot. I actually missed Bombers goal as my granny had made us leave with a few minutes to go to avoid the crush getting out. Standing right at the back of the standing when our end erupted.

Interesting point about live games. We still had games v Them at 3pm on a Saturday right up until 1998. Got horsed 5-1 that day.

Not to put a dampner on ur thread OP. But this hopefully will be something in years to come you will think back on and relate to, with some of the guys you go to games with and others who you meet.

In my heyday of that era, i met some real characters, some real older characters. From mossblown, annbank, tarbolton and drongan. We are going back to days when folk were still pissing in to 2ltr empty plastic cider bottles etc. Days when drink took a toll on some. Some of these characters would put some of the sarcastic mob of today to shame. Then when you met the glasgow brethern you got another class of witty sarcasm.

Some of these older guys who are no longer with us i still think about. From a young lad on a bus/car/train, I still remember my early days of going to Rangers games and experiencing this mad mental talk of drink, gambling, fornication etc.

Some good Rangers/protestant men no longer with us, but never to be forgotten :)

There’s hand-wringers in our support now who don’t want us to sing Loyalist songs or anything of that matter. It’s creeping into our support at Ibrox until there’s absolutely no atmosphere at all.

There’s hand-wringers in our support now who don’t want us to sing Loyalist songs or anything of that matter. It’s creeping into our support at Ibrox until there’s absolutely no atmosphere at all.
Will always remember the police trying to remove something from the Rangers end at Parkhead (March 91 - The week after cup defeat),they were pelted with coins and retreated.The whole Rangers end were game as %^*& and nobody fucked with us.Wouldn't happen now

Anyone else remember at the piggery some mad koont climbed up the pylons to near enough hit the rafters with a union jack, to the chorus of "we'll "keep the blue flag flying high".

Then the polis coming in (or trying), and getting booted back to the cry of no surrender.

Might have been the same game or two different games, that many good times when we took control of our own end at that monstrosity in those days.

Anyone else remember at the piggery some mad koont climbed up the pylons to near enough hit the rafters with a union jack, to the chorus of "we'll "keep the blue flag flying high".

Then the polis coming in (or trying), and getting booted back to the cry of no surrender.

Might have been the same game or two different games, that many good times when we took control of our own end at that monstrosity in those days.
That could be the same game mate.I wasn't at the cup game the week before but I know there were incidents at that game too.We lost both games but I was really proud to be part of our support on that day.Nisbet got sent off that day and all them cunts were waving red cards due to us having 3 sent off in the cup game.NO SURRENDER!!!

used to love "Blue flag flying high" being belted out at the piggery at HT, bears climbing up in the rafters hanging flags down while Plod tried to come in only to be missiled out.
"Come and have a go with the Ibrox aggro"!

The nosie we used to make at the piggery and Hampden was incredible! I feel sorry for Bears who will never experience that and have to endure the PC offended BS of today!
The upside was usually my dad, my uncles etc would come out pished and give me loads of spare change , great days

Back