Late 80s/early 90s stories of following Rangers

Dropped an acid in the WRC before getting the bus to porkheid. Big mistake. It was still terracing back then. Mustve been around 92. Hately scored twice in a two nil victory. Couldn't even see the ball in the first half due to the trip. Sunny day. Utter bedlam.
Back to the District aferwards .
One of the best games I never remembered.
Don't take acid, kids.
Love it :D:D

Will always remember the police trying to remove something from the Rangers end at Parkhead (March 91 - The week after cup defeat),they were pelted with coins and retreated.The whole Rangers end were game as %^*& and nobody fucked with us.Wouldn't happen now

I think that was the big flag that consisted of lots of Ulster flags sewn together with a UJ in middle which a few Polis tried to come in and take down. Massive eruption and big chant of Ulster Says No as they were repelled.
That was the catalyst for the FF fanzine to organise flag days at subsequent visits to the piggery where every group of us started making sure we had a banner of some description to take there.

Stopped in Auchterarder on the way to Dundee and one of my mates nicked a pot noodle from the spar then went back in to the shop and asked the assistant for hot water!

Hahahaha.
I was a regular outside the Clachan for years as a kid. Early to mid 70's. Loved the smell of beer and cigarettes when the door of the wee bothy lounge opened up. Tried to catch a glimpse of my old man (occasionaly my mum too) when someone came out or went in.
Changed days.
Wi a bag of totties and a can of juice in your hand!

Aberdeen came to Ibrox on 11 May 1991 for the final league game of the season. Rangers had to win and thanks to Mark Hately scoring twice, a Rangers team who had some players injured and others playing out of position, the 2-0 victory gave us the championship.

You've copied and pasted that haven't you?

Leeds in 92 was an incredible night at Ibrox, the celebrations after the away leg lasted long into the night at home, we had some run of games in the autumn of 92, won at the phiggery 1 0, beat the sheep to win the LCF and home and away wins v Leeds.
And a 4-1 win from 1-0 down (including a McCoist hat trick) v Motherwell inbetween

1987 when we clinched the league at Aberdeen I was on my honeymoon in NYC staying with a mate and his Mrs in Queens. We were flying home that Saturday night.

Cases packed the two lassies went for some last minute shopping whilst my mate and I listened for updates on the game on a crackly auld radio. Of course no internet back then so just getting the odd update via radio was a major success.

The first league title in 9 years safely secured and after a wee jump about the apartment the bold boy disappears to the local liquor store and returns with a 40 ouncer of blue label vodka and a slab of bud.

Carry out well and truly tanned, the lassies returned from their shopping trip to find us well steeming singing our hearts out. Eventually his Mrs drives us to JFK for the overnight flight back to Preswick. How I ever was allowed on that flight I’ll never know. Changed days indeed.

Put a big window in the Candlerigs through by accident on the way to a game against Hearts either 89 or 90, kicked a massive apple (this thing was giant) heavy toe bash smack right in the middle of the window, half the folk round about us cheered and the auld yins thought it was meant and I got dug's abuse off them I expected it just to skite along the ground due to the size of it.

There’s hand-wringers in our support now who don’t want us to sing Loyalist songs or anything of that matter. It’s creeping into our support at Ibrox until there’s absolutely no atmosphere at all.
Mate I’m as loyalist as anyone and listen to the tunes heading to the game,on holiday,going to work..anywhere.However is certain songs with certain words that are damaging the club.I really don’t know what’s hard about this.I wonder when we start getting deducted points and we lose the league by a couple of points,this will change peoples pshychy.

8 in a row. Final game v Aberdeen. Gazzas hat-trick. Got so drunk celebrating I fell up the stair and broke my hand. Had to get pins inserted to hold it together. Foned in sick to work and my boss thought I was at it. Turned up next day in plaster to prove to the wee 19th Century Terrorist pwick I was ill. Still smiling from gazzas genius

Aberdeen came to Ibrox on 11 May 1991 for the final league game of the season. Rangers had to win and thanks to Mark Hately scoring twice, a Rangers team who had some players injured and others playing out of position, the 2-0 victory gave us the championship.

You've copied and pasted that haven't you?
Don’t understand what you mean. I know nothing about a copy and paste. Just typed what I recalled seeing with my eyes from my seat in the main stand. Hope that this reassurance is helpful.

My apologies. The way you have typed that it looks like it came straight off a website. No offence intended

There is a great iconic photo of the Rangers end at the piggery, it is just a wall of flags. Great flags, Linwood sticks in my memory, from roughly 1993.

I am sure a fanzine produced it as a poster.

Would love to see it again if anyone can post it.
Always remember this poster hanging in Glasgow nautical college engineering workshop stores. Storeman Andy Big bluenose plus few of the lecturers,Mr Sherriffs?

15 of us travelling down to Sunderland for a testimonial, I was 21 and it was the first time I'd ever left Scotland :))

What a fantastic day that was :cool:

Bomber making it 3-1 on NY day 1992. Absolute bedlam in the Rangers end.
My granny had just died Not long before Christmas then and my dad and myself were blottered .When Bomber scored and jumped the hoarding we were going bonkers.Closest I’d ever felt to my dad.We were one that day Superb game.What I remember!

I remember going to Kuznetsovs first game against St Mirren when I was about 10, he was outstanding, rattled the post. It’s the only time I was in the west enclosure when it was standing and I was shitting myself. There was a gassed Dutch guy on our bus going up and there was a definite ‘dangerous’ feel about going to games, it was exiting as a kid.

I also remember being at East End Park before a game, possibly Dale Gordon’s debut, and our bus went to a hall in Cowdenbeath for a sash bash. A real eye opener seeing my Dad go wild having a bevvy and a sing song!

It was 91 how I know cause I fell pregnant hatley scored the 2 goals, then in the nerdy game we won 3 one. Hatley scored the 2nd. I got kicked in ribs. Went to docs as it was still sore a few weeks later. Found out I was 5 months pregnant. Lol.

The entire day of the Pittodrie title win in 86/87.

Set off by car at 8am and reached my mates flat in sheepville at 10:30ish. Straight into the bevvy. By the time KO came along we were all borderline shit faced :D. Into the game. Butcher header. Bedlam. Onto the pitch at full time and scenes you cannot imagine after the game.

On the way back home, DRIVING :eek:, meet the team bus and witnessed a bear standing on the window of a moving car on the motorway trying to hand Coisty in a bottle of champagne through the bus window. Honestly, the scenes running along beside the team bus heading home were astonishing.

Up through Hamilton with the windows down blaring out the Sash bash cassette from the car tape deck (LOL). Chased by polis up towards Quarter and stopped and unbelievably let off with a “get home” warning when by rights the driver should definitely have lost his license. Must have been secret mason bear polis (Timmy lurkers LOL).

Back home. Straight to the pub and honestly can’t remember getting on from the game. What a day. :D

There is a great iconic photo of the Rangers end at the piggery, it is just a wall of flags. Great flags, Linwood sticks in my memory, from roughly 1993.

I am sure a fanzine produced it as a poster.

Would love to see it again if anyone can post it.
Follow Follow gave you a great poster from “Flag Day” at the piggery. It was fantastic and would love a copy of one again. Had it in my office for years. The morally offended brought and end to days out like that and sadly our younger supporters will miss out on it.

Started 75 won treble 76 and 78. 79/80 European cup beat juve then Eindhoven away what a night. Lost to Koln in quarterscso so disappointed. Forest won it .

Unfortunately you never had or ever will have the joy of going in to their ira infested pigsty. Full of drink along with thousands upon thousands of other tanked up bears and others who were sober or half tanked. In to a adrenalin fuelled pit of hate. Before wee fergus gave the place a upgrade.

To sing your heart out and feel with the support of your fellow bears you could invade and slaughter many banana republics. To sing the Billy boys with great gusto against their 19th Century Terrorist rebel songs.

The icing on the cake was a victory.

Oh the joy's........ Unfortunately you have been landed with the ultra offended society.

And the other bit about the old piggery, it was the easiest ground to get in without a ticket.

Being a pup (5/6) years old I never fully appreciated the gravity of our achievements back then. Watched the game in 96/97 at my Uncles (he had SKY, my maw and paw didn't at the time) when Laudrup scored early and Goram stopped Van Hoodwinks penalty and that really brought it home what it meant to be one of us. Still watch it on YouTube at least once a week and the penalty save with Goram telling him what he thought of him is class.

McGregor save against Eli Dingle in 2011 comes close-ish.

Back