Latest bid for Edmundson turned down

Hahaha ffs, similar to some Oxford united fans thinking our game should be an even one because we are apparently a similar standard to them.

These people are crazily deluded. A team full of current and former internationalists that plays European football, and sends its youngsters out on loan to teams like Oxford, Oldham etc is levels better than that standard.

Some english football fans are seriously deluded and ignorant. Teams like Dundee and St Mirren would give these teams serious trouble.

Portsmouth have had a £600,000 bid for Rangers target George Edmundson accepted.
Oldham Athletic have given the English League One side permission to speak to their highly-rated defender.

Rivals Peterborough are also interested and are also still in the equation.
Edmundson is now set to hold talks with Pompey boss Kenny Jackett over his switch south.

Rangers boss Steven Gerrard identified the defender as an early target and the Ibrox club have already tabled two bids and they are reluctant to go over their last offer which was £500,000 plus future add-ons.

Edmundson – who was named in England’s League Two team of the year - has always made it clear his preference was to move to Scotland but he remains open to a move up the leagues in England.

It now remains to be seen if Edmundson agrees terms at Fratton Park and if Rangers will make one final push to get their man.

Ailey we aren’t gonna let the boy slip through our fingers for 100/200k. If true we shut the Hummel and brought him up to have a look around and then done complete for they type of sums it’s a bit of a shocker. Unless we have move onto other targets.

Oldham set a price and we matched it then they upped their price ,oldham are taking the piss with their valuation

The truth is the SPFL is about the same level as perhaps the bottom 6 of the championship and the top 6 of league 1 . It’s better than league 2 . Obvious exceptions is us and yahoo , we would be top 6 of championship IMO.
Well when we signed Windass and Crooks they were two of the best players in League 2. Crooks was awful, Windass was ok in bits with a decent scoring record but still was t that good.

It's getting like house price gazumping - or ebay auctions
Offers over .....????? then let those interested bid it out with each other only with participants missing out for the sake of a relatively small amount

Meanwhile the players preferences are ignored while clubs wait for the highest offer

Now I'm sure we can be just as guilty of this - but you only need to look at the record of other Scots clubs with players we might be interested in to know there isn't - or likely to be any time soon - a level playing field

If I were a player - I'd wait till I was out of contract every time - for fear of ending up the last place I want to be

It's getting like house price gazumping - or ebay auctions
Offers over .....????? then let those interested bid it out with each other only with participants missing out for the sake of a relatively small amount

Meanwhile the players preferences are ignored while clubs wait for the highest offer

Now I'm sure we can be just as guilty of this - but you only need to look at the record of other Scots clubs with players we might be interested in to know there isn't - or likely to be any time soon - a level playing field

If I were a player - I'd wait till I was out of contract every time - for fear of ending up the last place I want to be
Offers might not be there in a years time, could get injured etc

Oxford and Oldham fans ffs lol they would get absoloutely pumped off us and they will when they come for the friendly.

It will be interesting to read their comments after the game.

Cmon to %^*& mate it’s 100k difference from last bid, losing out on targets due to that level of stubbornness is poor

Maybe we already offered £100k more than we reckon he’s worth.

You say ‘it’s only £100k’, but maybe they want £200k more than we value him.

Rangers know what they’re doing.

However...whilst agreeing that it's fun to bid low, and try and force a club's hand etc....sometimes they just want a sum, and if you meet that sum the player is yours. IF we want him as a priority then £1m or 1.2m is hardly worth fighting over.

Offers might not be there in a years time, could get injured etc

True - I'd still take the chance though - otherwise it's just another form of indentured slavery - where you never have full control or even influence your own destiny

Now I fully appreciate we operate in the same market & system as everyone else (& of course have to) so we contribute to this as much as anyone else - but I still feel this is a duff set-up that could easily be improved on

Too many people thinking they’re playing football manager. ‘It’s only £100k’. It’s real money ffs.

Letting clubs hold us to ransom is what got us paying over value for far too long.

If rangers don’t value this guy at over £500k then I’m happy with them not being held to ransom.

We move on to the next one.

Too many people thinking they’re playing football manager. ‘It’s only £100k’. It’s real money ffs.

Letting clubs hold us to ransom is what got us paying over value for far too long.

If rangers don’t value this guy at over £500k then I’m happy with them not being held to ransom.

I get your point mate but what would take a players valuation from £500k to £600k? There is very little difference. I don't see any additional risk in paying another £100k for a promising young player.

If he comes, he comes. He'd be a backup

Personally, I would not be shopping the lower reaches of england's League 2 and a team from bottom half of the table.

Defo weird transfer saga

Maybe the club are pissed off with Oldham for changing their mind on fee

They let the lad do a tour of HTC and Ibrox and then upped the fee

I’ve no idea if the lad is worth the increased fee or not but if they won’t pay the extra it’s up to the lad as to what club he wants to join

I get your point mate but what would take a players valuation from £500k to £600k? There is very little difference. I don't see any additional risk in paying another £100k for a promising young player.

Didn’t we value him at £400k and bid that? Then the value has continually went up?

Oldham are wishing their own right to want top dollar for their player. Rangers clearly don’t value him at over £500k so aren’t budging on that.

We all know nothing about the boy. The club do, and if they don’t want to move higher than £500k, then we should be happy with that.

while I agree we should pay what we think the player is worth, they're hardly "holding us to ransom" when another is prepared to pay a higher amount...

It's a 20% rise in what we value him at though. It's also £100,000 coming out the budget that could be set aside for someone else.

What if that £100,000 is theoretically the difference Aribo signing or going elsewhere for £100,000 a year more in wages ? Or going towards the loan fee for Kent ?

Still fancy Edmundson ?

If he doesn't have the potential to be "worth" more than a couple of million he is not the right signing.

At £600k we should not be outbid.

It's a 20% rise in what we value him at though. It's also £100,000 coming out the budget that could be set aside for someone else.

What if that £100,000 is theoretically the difference Aribo signing or going elsewhere for £100,000 a year more in wages ? Or going towards the loan fee for Kent ?

Still fancy Edmundson ?

I get that, I just find it strange that we can get him for £100k more and we don't want to pursue it. We obviously like the guy or we wouldn't be in for him in the first place.

Still fancy Edmundson ?

If 100k is a material amount to us financially then we have problems. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it.

If he doesn't have the potential to be "worth" more than a couple of million he is not the right signing.

At £600k we should not be outbid.
Exactly mate. I know nothing about him but I'd think its fair to say if we don't value a young English player to be worth 600k then he's not what we need.

If you scout a player and decide they are that good you want to bid for them surely the leeway you give yourself for a bid is pretty massive

Exactly mate. Maybe we value him at 400k and we’ve already gone over 100k on him.

Do we see him as first team material or we pay 500k then spend time and money to develop the boy?

If 100k is a material amount to us financially then we have problems. It doesn't matter how you sugar coat it.

Ordinarily aye but for a 4th tier centre half who will be behind Goldson and Katic and potentially behind a 3rd centre half as well ?

Difference between £100,000 extra for an international than it is for player we're signing on potential and not to be a starter.

Considering we have wasted a bit of money on Pena, grezda etc then for the sake of 100k pay it and get it over the line. People saying 100k is a lot of money - come on 100k in football terms is nothing

Ordinarily aye but for a 4th tier centre half who will be behind Goldson and Katic and potentially behind a 3rd centre half as well ?

Difference between £100,000 extra for an international than it is for player we're signing on potential and not to be a starter.
How do we know he is 4th tier? We don't know that yet as we haven't had serious interest in any other CBs yet.

It’s very easy to say just bid 100k, but none of us really know how the dialogue has been between the two clubs.

Rangers may know the boy has his heart set on playing with us, so are playing a game of chess.

Considering we have wasted a bit of money on Pena, grezda etc then for the sake of 100k pay it and get it over the line. People saying 100k is a lot of money - come on 100k in football terms is nothing

200 season tickets @ £500

Back