Latest bid for Edmundson turned down

200 season tickets @ £500
I get that mate, however Grezda was 4000 season tickets at the same price. If they think hes good enough to play for Rangers, pay the 100k. Tbh this could be fake news again because they said that Pboro had a bid accepted too and they didnt.

Too many people thinking they’re playing football manager. ‘It’s only £100k’. It’s real money ffs.

Letting clubs hold us to ransom is what got us paying over value for far too long.

If rangers don’t value this guy at over £500k then I’m happy with them not being held to ransom.

We move on to the next one.

Not everyone is a Glen Kamara coming to the end of his contract.
If we don’t think he is worth 600k is he actually worth signing?
He ain’t going to displace Katic or Goldson so would one of the reserve team central defenders not do a similar job.

I would say we need 4 CH’s , 3 fighting for the two jerseys and one kid for back up. We need someone of better quality than a boy from Oldham unless he is taking the back up position.

Previously, when Rangers had bids knocked back by Oldham for Edmundson, we knew they were playing standard hardball hoping to generate a bidding war between teams competing for the players signature. Not knowing where all this would end Rangers wisely pulled back. But now that we know £600,000 will buy the guy, we have to ask the obvious question '...is he worth that much to Rangers?...' If Gerrard and his staff really think he is, then spending an extra £100,000 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to do.

The truth is the SPFL is about the same level as perhaps the bottom 6 of the championship and the top 6 of league 1 . It’s better than league 2 . Obvious exceptions is us and yahoo , we would be top 6 of championship IMO.
All subjective of course but wouldn't argue with a lot of what you you say , think the Sheep and possibly the spoonburners might be mid table Championship.

The fact is, outwith the top league in England ,there is plenty of dross to be had.

We've made a total arse of this situation. I agree we shouldn't be held to ransom for players, but if Gerrard thinks he's not worth an extra £100k then why are we even looking at the boy in the first place? If he feels he is worth it, then why didn't we just front up and get it over the line weeks ago.

Sorry, but if Oldham think they can play hardball with us over a nobody player like this fella, they’re mistaken. £100k difference or not - it should be an honour to both the player and club that we’ve taken an interest in him. Next.

We've made a total arse of this situation. I agree we shouldn't be held to ransom for players, but if Gerrard thinks he's not worth an extra £100k then why are we even looking at the boy in the first place? If he feels he is worth it, then why didn't we just front up and get it over the line weeks ago.

For two decades we were taken for a ride in terms of fees for players , sometimes paying way over the odds and getting ripped off by clubs who knew we would go that bit extra.

I’m glad we are more miserly now and don’t just roll over

If Gerrard wants this boy Edmonton we will get him .

Perhaps a case here where we have advised Oldham of the max we will go to and we have other options lined lined up. Alternatively, maybe we want to pay in installments and they want cash up front.
I do think we will go back in for him - the player is keen on joining us.

The club will have a budget for players, and they will have a valuation for the players they are looking at in mind of which there will be many.

No one here knows what the budget is or how many signings we are trying to cover with it, so the ‘just £100k’ could actually make a difference to other plans which are in the pipeline.

If he signs for Portsmouth we move on to other targets, no big deal.

If it’s his missus(if he has one) who is dragging her heels and he’s not filed for divorce yet then he clearly isn’t what we need. We need players who will do everything to sign.

Sorry, but if Oldham think they can play hardball with us over a nobody player like this fella, they’re mistaken. £100k difference or not - it should be an honour to both the player and club that we’ve taken an interest in him. Next.
Not the way the world works though.

Can you lay out the timeline of club to club negotiations, demands and talks with agents and player so I can decide if we’ve made a complete arse of it? I can’t really form an opinion without that? There’s the back page threads but nobody believes them anyway.
Where’s the info coming from that twisted your knickers?

For two decades we were taken for a ride in terms of fees for players , sometimes paying way over the odds and getting ripped off by clubs who knew we would go that bit extra.

I’m glad we are more miserly now and don’t just roll over

If Gerrard wants this boy Edmonton we will get him .

Paying an extra £100k isn't being held ransom though is it?
It is a very small risk. If we pay an extra £100k and it doesn't work out with him then we move him on in a few years and probably get our money back, if he develops then we either have a good player on our books or we cash in and make a healthy profit.

How pissed off will we all be if he goes on to be a star and gets a big money move and we walked away for the sake of a hundred grand.

They are rare exceptions to the rule.
Ali was in League 1 and well known before his move.

Vardy also had built a rep. Gray i'll give you as a genuine unearthed gem.

Kemar Roofe was at Oxford before he moved to Leeds and Bradley Dack was at Gillingham before Blackburn. Both would be out of our price range if we went for them now. In our position, we’ll need to take a punt on these players when they’re in league 1/2.

To be fair, those who are clued up know the script but still go on the wind up when they can .

Truth is ,league 2 is a fair way down from the SPFL ,as much as we like to run it down ourselves at times.

Personal view is, our current squad would do well in the Championship , obviously can't prove that assertion but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't be far off.

I think a lot of people underestimate the strength of our top league. Including some of the managers which have come to Scotland. It's not always pretty, granted, but I've seen plenty of ugly games in the EPL as well.

Maybe we are just no longer interested?

I've got a gut feeling we've moved onto other targets ever since the Kalas story appeared literally there hasn't been a peep of news and it's went very quiet until the Aribo thread bursting into life again tonight.

I reckon there's deals being done privately behind the scenes and some folk have been told to remain quiet to avoid leaks.

This lad is the same age as McCrorie. We would be livid to loose McCrorie for £600k, therefore I'm assuming we already have a better player as fourth choice CH.

E5Ui76s.gif

Back