Laudrup on Morelos

Lets face it, Alfie has been superb in the Europa League but it'll be the Champions League he'll be judged on when it comes to big money.
If he can rip it out of Europe's top defenders next season then who knows what his value will be.

As long as Rangers remain tethered to the SPL, we will be obliged to follow the 'buy low sell high' model - therefore, any decent offer that comes in for Morelos over the summer will be accepted.

For what it's worth, IMO we will have as much or more trouble hanging on to Kent this summer as we will Alfredo. Indeed, the Rangers team that starts the 2021/2022 season could look a lot different from the one that ends the current one.
Wouldn't say I'm not bothered with the personnel line up come the summer but I think it's abundantly clear now that it's the quality of the coaching which must be maintained above everything else. This has to be the way forward for this club from now on.

Rangers are an excellent team these days thanks to some very good players. Of course, but more importantly because the players know exactly what's expected of them. That's the difference and that's down to coaching.

It's the reason we've romped this league and why we remain unbeaten in Europe. If and when Gerrard moves on I dearly hope his lasting legacy will be not only of be for 55 but for the incredible difference high quality coaching can make, even in a footballing backwater like Scotland.

I personally think we should sell him this summer. His card has been marked in Scotland for a long time now and he's not been at his best domestically for a large part of the season.

Plus the reality is, we need to become a selling club and he's one of our prized assets.

I'd also be looking to sell Barisic. If we wait any longer he'll be too old to command a decent fee.
I think he has actually been fundamental to most of our better performances in the domestic league.
The only difference between previous seasons and this one is that when he is absent or not scoring, we have other players who can deliver in front of goal.
However, the team plays its best football with Alfie leading the line, whether or not Alfie is on the scoresheet.

Even if someone was to give the club over 20 million, Alfie will be so difficult to replace, that the team going forward will have to find a different way to play.
As a component piece of the current team at its most fluent, Alfie is extremely key.

Last edited:
Is his contract is up 2023?

If so we need to sell or extend this summer.

We can't wait till next summer to sell without that extension. We will be in a much reduced bargaining position trying to sell before he goes into his last year. (much like the filth are with half a dozen of theirs)

Brilliant article by the most handsome elite player in football.

Brilliant player Alfie MUST stay at Rangers to become one of our best ever players.

Brilliant - what a great word, and so applicable to Brian, Alfie and The Rangers!

Deep deep joy.

Brilliant article by the most handsome elite player in football.

Brilliant player Alfie MUST stay at Rangers to become one of our best ever players.

Brilliant - what a great word, and so applicable to Brian, Alfie and The Rangers!

Deep deep joy.

You need to get that song ready George.

It’s almost time for the 55 Express to arrive my friend.

I love Alfie and I may be completely wrong but I get the impression he is out to do the best for his family so while me may love a crack at the champions league if a team from say the middle of the EPL come in and offer him 50/60k a week that's life changing money I couldn't hold it against him.

Wouldn't say I'm not bothered with the personnel line up come the summer but I think it's abundantly clear now that it's the quality of the coaching which must be maintained above everything else. This has to be the way forward for this club from now on.

Rangers are an excellent team these days thanks to some very good players. Of course, but more importantly because the players know exactly what's expected of them. That's the difference and that's down to coaching.

It's the reason we've romped this league and why we remain unbeaten in Europe. If and when Gerrard moves on I dearly hope his lasting legacy will be not only of be for 55 but for the incredible difference high quality coaching can make, even in a footballing backwater like Scotland.
You're certainly not wrong in attributing credit to the Rangers coaching staff, however it usually is the case that when a manager leaves, he takes with him his most trusted coaches. Gerrard, when he does leave, will no doubt follow this practice.

I know the model is to maximise our assets and sell from a position of strength but I can’t help but think, the club, Gerrard and the players will all want to have a go at the champions league.

If this time next year this group of players has us on our way to 56 and been in the champions league group stages then their value will be even better. As for Morelos it does feel like he’s more settled than he’s ever been. Throughout this season he has been asked to play a more rounded game for the team and I think we are seeing now that he’s hitting a bit of form because he is understanding and adapting to his role more. The goals coming back is only going to send his confidence higher

He almost left in the summer mate. If Lille had matched our asking price he would have. He was ready to. He wanted to. The situation around Covid 19 put a stop to it though.

He definitely wanted to, but it's unlikely a team will come in for him that can offer him a stab at Champions League football. That gives him a dilemma as there is no guarantee he will ever play in that competition again for another club.

I hope the club offer him a one or two year extension with a slightly higher wage for a stab at playing in the Champions League next season, then he can go after that with our blessing.

He definitely wanted to, but it's unlikely a team will come in for him that can offer him a stab at Champions League football. That gives him a dilemma as there is no guarantee he will ever play in that competition again for another club.

I hope the club offer him a one or two year extension with a slightly higher wage for a stab at playing in the Champions League next season, then he can go after that with our blessing.

This is the key point. It’s stick or twist for both us and Alfie this summer. If he stays he’s going to need to sign an extension or he’ll be going into 2022 with a year left on his deal and in spite of any Champions League performances we’ll be forced to accept a discounted fee for him.

I hope he stays as much as anyone but we can’t let ourselves deviate from the plan of buy low and sell high. If he isn’t willing to extend this summer then we have to sell, it’s as simple as that. We re-invest the profits in a striker and we let him Itten and Roofe battle it out to step up to the plate for us; that’s our model as a club now and it’s essential we start making it work in the next few years.

You only need to look across the road to see what keeping players longer than you should can do - they’re about to lose a fortune on what they should’ve got on Ajer Edourard et al this summer.

I love him and hope he stays forever but under no circumstances should he be allowed to run his deal down, either an extension is agreed or he has to go this summer.

I'd love to see him stay. He's fundamental to how we play. Whilst we want to follow the buy low, sell high model, we need to be careful that we aren't selling too many key players at once. 1 big sale a year is plenty and, hopefully, will keep our momentum going. as others said, Kent, Hagi, Borna and Kamara will all be attracting interest. I don't want to break this team up. Sell Alfie for 25 million and replace with a well scouted, up and coming player, qualify for the CL proper and we're in a very good financial position. This, in turn, keeps our foot FIRMLY on their throats.

People have to get real. Lets assume punters on a good wage in Scotland earn £30/£40k per year.
If Alfie gets a Premier League 4 year contract worth £40k per week he makes more or the same in one year as probably most season ticket holders will do in their life.
The nonsense about Champions League is exactly that, nonsense.
I love him but because of hard cash he will be off.

Back