Laudrup under Advocaat

I remember it at the time. Laudrup had a few bizarre years after leaving us. Wanted out of Chelsea before he even got there. Went to Copenhagen then Ajax.

To go back to if he would've fit or not, the answer would probably have been that his second spell would've been a let down in comparison to his first like most returning players. Smith basically put a striker and Laudrup and Gascoigne in a team made up majorly of defensive players to allow the attackers I mentioned a freedom to express themselves. Laudrup essentially had a free role and that was what he loved about being here.

Advocaat wouldve shackled him in his system.

Last edited:
Thought we had a real chance of getting him I was so disappointed when he went to Ajax

I remember Brian came up for either the legends game where there was like 40’000 there and we won 4-1.Butch ( God rest his soul) scored a screamer.Again.
But after this game or some other charity game that Lauders ran …Advocaat said he would have loved to have Brian.I also remember him saying...he would have had to change his style and left back for cover…but he was quite willing to do that, cause Brian was…well …Brian!
The most gifted foreign player to ever grace the scottish game.Bar none!

Even a slightly past it Laudrup would still have been good for us for a year or so, especially as we were a better all round, passing, technical team under Advocaat than in Walters years. Laudrup, and to a lesser extent Gazza, carried us creatively for years. I think he would have linked up just fine.

Always wonder how a greatest team/squad comprising of Walters best and Advocaats best would have fared in Europe. Mixing the likes of Gio and Laudrup, Hateley and DeBoer, Barry Ferguson and Gazza, Gough and Numan, Goram and Klos battling for No.1, McCoist and Mols, etc.

What a tremendous squad that would be.

Advocaat would have had him tracking back to help in defence and that totally wasn’t Laudrup. He’d have been a quarter of the player he was.

I would much rather Walter had got him back in the 92/93 season. Although we had a truly great team I think that with Laudrup in that team we would have won the Champions Leagye that season.
I always felt that getting Laudrup earlier or keeping Walters could have given us that little bit extra that might have taken us all the way in 92/93.

I remember when we tried to re-sign him there was a lot of press coverage and Brian said he couldn't say which city he was moving to as this would easily identify the team. I was sure at that point he was coming to Glasgow again.

Advocaat would have had him tracking back to help in defence and that totally wasn’t Laudrup. He’d have been a quarter of the player he was.

Advocaat had said he would have changed the team for Laudrup and would have put a player behind God to do the running for him.

Back