Laudrup v Cooper

Who was better Laudrup or Cooper?

• Total voters
Are you implying that he didn't try sometimes?

He didn't always play well (who does?) but I refuse to believe he gave any less than 100% every time he pulled on the jersey.

Cooper lost his way for a while and put on weight etc-how you define it doesn't matter it did happen and even the greats have flaws.

Cooper was a humble guy he would have loved his die hard fans on here backing him but he'd be the first to admit it went wrong for a while.

Really tricky one at his best coop probably had more natural ability but for sheer consistent match winning week after week brilliance - and it was not just good it was brilliant. It's got to be laudrup. In my view the most talented player I have ever seen in a rangers jersey

Cooper lost his way for a while and put on weight etc-how you define it doesn't matter it did happen and even the greats have flaws.

Cooper was a humble guy he would have loved his die hard fans on here backing him but he'd be the first to admit it went wrong for a while.
Lost his appetite for the game under John Greig. No doubt about that.

Coop was a sensational player, but Laudrup was even better, the complete attacking player, even the late coop wouldve agreed.

Cooper was my idol but Laudrup was on another level and I don't think we will see another of likes in the rest of my lifetime.

Brian Laudrup was, by far, our best player in 97/98.

If everyone had his professionalism we'd have won the league easily.

Go and watch the games from that season on Stephen Millars Facebook page and tell me he phoned it in. Its one of theee things that people repeat with no real basis and it becomes a thing.

People needed a scapegoat for us losing that league. To pin it on him is madness.

Agree 100%. Brian's final season was really good and still our best player in an underperforming side.

Which is nonsense. Cooper lost the plot under Greig, lost his fitness and lost his place. I was at Ibrox when Cooper was getting murdered from the support -did you have ear muffs on?

Davie Cooper on his day was sublime but Laudrup was vastly superior in consistency and effectiveness.

Sorry mate. You are full of crap. Greig didn't play Cooper because he was a rubbish manager. As for Laudrup, who I loved, he stopped playing in his last season because he was terrified he'd get injured, and lose his big move down south. Talk about re-writing history!

My Grandfather would laugh when I said Laudrup was the best ever Rangers player, usually followed by You never saw Morton so you don't know what you're talking about

My grand
Sorry mate. You are full of crap. Greig didn't play Cooper because he was a rubbish manager. As for Laudrup, who I loved, he stopped playing in his last season because he was terrified he'd get injured, and lose his big move down south. Talk about re-writing history!

Regards we writing history.

Rangers won the first three points of that 97/98 season because Laudrup twisted Mahe's blood, ending up in a red card.

Rangers won three, lost one and drew five of the OF games that season with Laudrup in the side. Instead of blaming Laudrup for 97/98, how about having a pop at the rest who rested on his laurels from 1994 onwards?

My grand

Regards we writing history.

Rangers won the first three points of that 97/98 season because Laudrup twisted Mahe's blood, ending up in a red card.

Rangers won three, lost one and drew five of the OF games that season with Laudrup in the side. Instead of blaming Laudrup for 97/98, how about having a pop at the rest who rested on his laurels from 1994 onwards?

Are you seriously suggesting he gave his all that season? I already said I love the man but if he had given his all we might have done better. I completely agree about the rest of the team but this thread is about Brian Laudrup.

I would say - Davie Cooper.

He played the majority of his Rangers career in very poor teams and was the shining light on many, many occasions

I would say - Davie Cooper.

He played the majority of his Rangers career in very poor teams and was the shining light on many, many occasions
There seems to be a belief DC played in poor teams. I thought the guy was brilliant but lots of times he was one of the poorer players.
He won some amount of medals with these 'poor players'

For me it has to be Laudrup. Cooper was a sensational player and an amazing guy - had the pleasure of meeting him several times too. However, Laudrup is by far my favourite ever Rangers player. Absolutely loved him - he had everything going for him ability wise and was part of such a successful period.

I actually sometimes thing people underestimate how good Brian Laudrup was at times. A truly wonderful player and an absolute pleasure to have had him at our club.

The early 80's when we were well off the pace for competing for titles.
I have had an SB / ST since 1971, I remember the era well. But Coop had a lot of awful games as well.
We had good players but not a winning mentality. I would say letting Sandy go to Hearts was the biggest mistake then some of the signings just weren't up to our standard.

As much as I enjoyed watching Davie Cooper, Brian Laudrup was the better player. More consistent and more skilful. We were lucky to have them both though.

Laudrup did toil in his final season no argument but Cooper toiled for longer and in general terms was much less consistent than Laudrup. It's no more complicated than that.

You are the guy rewriting history if you can't accept Cooper had a lean period and a lack of application that led to him losing his place.

Laudrup did toil in his final season no argument but Cooper toiled for longer and in general terms was much less consistent than Laudrup. It's no more complicated than that.

You are the guy rewriting history if you can't accept Cooper had a lean period and a lack of application that led to him losing his place.

I can accept that Coop had periods were he wasn't playing quite as well (what winger doesn't?) but I can't accept your assertion that it was down to a "lack of application".

That makes it sound like he didn't give a fk...when it was the opposite. A total diehard.

Aye he might've been dubbed Moody Blue but many winners have that streak in them, Barry Ferguson constantly had a formed face but he - like Davie - was an out and out winner.

On pure talent Cooper, if Davie had pace and a touch of arrogance he would have been up there with the greats of world football, it may sound daft Laudrup was probably better but coop was more skillfull, now Mr Henderson would be my choice over both.

Laudrup because i was a young teen and amazed at the time. Didn't see Cooper.

Was Laudrup better than his brother?

At their best Cooper.

Only thing is Laudrup was at his best 9 times out of 10, with Cooper you were lucky if it was 2 out of 10.

Laudrup, but as already mentioned , Coops played in some poor Rangers sides, Laydrup had the advantage of not having to carry the side on his own.

As my username suggests Davie was my hero. However for consistent level of performance I would have to say Laudrup. I think Davie would have thrived in a team with better players around him - just a pity his peak years were not in the 90's.

Your memory is short. Would love to know how many times Cooper was the best player on the park and then on the bench the following week under Greig. As for application, more nonsense from you. Davie used to do extra training on his own running round Strathclyde park wearing black bags to make him sweat more. I saw him doing this. Cooper was as big a Rangers man as you and I. You should be ashamed of yourself for insinuating he didn't give everything for the club he loved.

I think Davie had 4 outstanding seasons ( ones that he performed consistently )
76/77, 77/78, 85/86, and the season with Motherwellwhen they won the Cup
I'd say his best season was 1986/87. He had good players all around him. Previously he had Bobby Russell and latterly Jim Bett on his wavelength.
He was very good in 84/85 & 85/86 too and not to shabby in all seasons under Souness, but 86/87 saw him at his imperious best.

Your memory is short. Would love to know how many times Cooper was the best player on the park and then on the bench the following week under Greig. As for application, more nonsense from you. Davie used to do extra training on his own running round Strathclyde park wearing black bags to make him sweat more. I saw him doing this. Cooper was as big a Rangers man as you and I. You should be ashamed of yourself for insinuating he didn't give everything for the club he loved.
You only need look at photos of Davie around 82/83 to see that he'd lost a bit of fitness and gained a few pounds. Greig was a very poor man manager and Davie suffered more than most. When Wallace returned to the club he asked Davie to shed some weight,which he did in double quick time.

Back