Laurel & Hardy

Blew Knows

One, maybe, for the older Bears.
I see they are showing Laurel & Hardy movies on Talking Pictures TV (Freeview & YouView 81, Freesat 306, Sky 343, Virgin 445). Who was your favourite "golden oldie" - L & H, Charlie Chaplin, Buster Keating, Harold Lloyd or any others.
For me it's Stan & Ollie every time.

#1 - Laurel and Hardy.
Chaplin was really clever, creative, groundbreaking - but not as funny as L&H.
Marx Brothers are favourites too.

My favourite comedy duo ever. Got the massive big box set (about 40 dvd's) and have lost count of how many times I've watched some of them. Legends who will never be bettered.

Laurel and Hardy, closely followed by Buster Keaton.

Never really got the Three Stooges but thought the Marx Brothers quite good.

I bet James Finlayson was a Bear!

Laurel and Hardy, closely followed by Buster Keaton.

Never really got the Three Stooges but thought the Marx Brothers quite good.

I bet James Finlayson was a Bear!

Sounds like a good Rangers name doesn't it (he was from Falkirk - the original "D'oh" guy long before Homer)

All Laurel and Hardy films and a special mention for Buster Keating's The General. Superb film and always makes me laugh.

I was given the Lauren & Hardy boxset as a present and its brilliant, genius even. To think they were before the first world war is mental. No swearing no nudity no inuendo yet hilarious.

Busy bodies is my favourite l+h film .

Good wee fact ... Babe hardy was the champion " celebrity " golfer for over a decade unbeatable seeminly asked him
To stop entering the big celb tournaments as he was a stick on .

Love way out West
giphy.gif

Stan was brought up in Rutherglen, his house still stands on Stonelaw Rd Burnside.

He attended Queens Pk Sec then Rutherglen Academy (now Stonelaw High) and he made his first stage performance at the age of 16 at the Britannia Theatre in the Trongate Glasgow.

Both Stan and Ollie were Masons, Ollie had over 30 degrees.

"That's another fine mess you got me into" as he slaps Stan about the head with his tie. All good clean fun.

Bought my Dad the box set a few years ago, Air raid wardens is my favourite. Still stands the test of time, one of the few things you can put on and it gets everyone in the room absorbed and laughing.

Back