Lawrence Shankland - can we put that to bed now?

I don't watch nearly enough games involving United to know if he's good enough or not, but judging his worth on one game is the equivalent of a team watching, say, Morelos on Thursday night and deciding not to sign him based on that performance and that alone.

Reactions: Gee
No as I said you could see there was player in there but I can’t see that in Itten. Hi touch is terrible he has a good build but lacks physicality he doesn’t get himself between the posts which is where all good strikers get their goals his body language doesn’t look right He must have some thing though he scored a few last season in Swiss league but his record before that was very poor.

20 in 36 last season. 11 in 11 the season before (injured?). 8 in 38 the season before that. Bear in mind he is 23 so that's going back to when he was 20/21. And its not at SPFL Championship level.

Shankland had a long injury lay off too was out longer than Itten he is playing for a team who are relegation fodder he won them promotion single handed last season and might just score enough to keep them up this season ! btw Itten isn’t leading our line in Europe and never will

You've probably seen as much of Itten as the rest of us, so to write him off is utterly ridiculous. He's been scouted, looks technically good with an aerial threat we miss, and he's a young internationalist in a decent team. You want us to re sign Nicky Clarke too? He's scored plenty at Shankland's level.
Mental.

You've probably seen as much of Itten as the rest of us, so to write him off is utterly ridiculous. He's been scouted, looks technically good with an aerial threat we miss, and he's a young internationalist in a decent team. You want us to re sign Nicky Clarke too? He's scored plenty at Shankland's level.
Mental.
The point is that Itten doesn’t look good technically his touch and positional sense are very poor and as yet he has not offered an aerial threat btw Shankland is also a young internationalist with similar caps and goals and is similar age The Nicky Clark argument doesn’t wash his goals prior to us signing him were in the division below the championship and he was a one season wonder shankland has scored over 30 goals in each of last 3 seasons he may or may not be good enough for us But I can say here and now Itten is not good enough

This run in the team will not happen as we cannot afford to piss about and carry a player he needs to make an impact when he gets a chance from the bench and earn his place on the team and then keep up a level of performance to remain in team sadly I don’t think he has the attributes required to play for Rangers ability is not enough you need courage confidence and mental strength of character Time will tell I really do hope he proves me wrong starting tomorrow

The boy has talent am not going to be as quick to write him off time will tell though.

The point is that Itten doesn’t look good technically his touch and positional sense are very poor and as yet he has not offered an aerial threat btw Shankland is also a young internationalist with similar caps and goals and is similar age The Nicky Clark argument doesn’t wash his goals prior to us signing him were in the division below the championship and he was a one season wonder shankland has scored over 30 goals in each of last 3 seasons he may or may not be good enough for us But I can say here and now Itten is not good enough

You could have a debate about Shankland, but obviously our management team had a good look and determined he wasn't good enough to do a job for Rangers. Your comments on Itten constitute unadulterated pish :) No point in discussing it further.

Once he finds his feet he will do well , Look at Borna for an example bey you wrote him off as well .
No I didn’t actually as I saw how good he was in the two games against us before we signed him but as for his teammate Grezda I see similarities with him and Itten bought for a similar fee too but nowhere near good enough. Listen all transfers are gambles some you get right some you don’t

No as I said you could see there was player in there but I can’t see that in Itten. Hi touch is terrible he has a good build but lacks physicality he doesn’t get himself between the posts which is where all good strikers get their goals his body language doesn’t look right He must have some thing though he scored a few last season in Swiss league but his record before that was very poor.

One of the most clueless posts ever. How would you know about his strengths and weaknesses? You a regular watcher of Swiss football? Personally I was impressed with his first couple of sub appearances, including his first touch, and on his first start he carried out his instructions to the letter and put pressure on the LB, Gerrard clearly said so afterwards.

I’m of the opinion any player we sign is a gamble some pay off big time others not so much,Shankland would have been worth a punt as a free from Ayr but I wouldn’t pay a penny to the DABS for him .

No I didn’t actually as I saw how good he was in the two games against us before we signed him but as for his teammate Grezda I see similarities with him and Itten bought for a similar fee too but nowhere near good enough. Listen all transfers are gambles some you get right some you don’t

Grezda was long term injured and had a serious billy big b@ws attitude.

Itten is an athlete with a good attitude and work ethic.

Mental.
Re-Itten. Remember Mark Hateley? Big dumplin' etc. The rest is history. Here's hoping.

I see were now comparing a Swiss International with a tartan tranny international, didn't see that coming!

This thread has taken a bizarre turn.

Shankland will score goals in the SPL. He is a decent player and.can score with both feet and is decent in the air. As a free transfer from Ayr he was worth a consideration, how serious im not so sure.

To compare him to Itten makes little sense to me. Itten has moved to a new country and will have to adapt his game. Ive not seen enough of him to make a proper judgement.

To bring Mark Hateley into the argument is mental. I remember him playing and no disrespect to Itten but if he is half the player Hateley was he will have a great career.

This run in the team will not happen as we cannot afford to piss about and carry a player he needs to make an impact when he gets a chance from the bench and earn his place on the team and then keep up a level of performance to remain in team sadly I don’t think he has the attributes required to play for Rangers ability is not enough you need courage confidence and mental strength of character Time will tell I really do hope he proves me wrong starting tomorrow
How the %^*& will Shankland get a chance then if Itten won’t

Bo Anderson would have been a better comparison to Itten and I think by what I’ve saw on video of Itten he is twice the player that Bo was so there ard good times ahead

I do fear for Itten, I’ve seen plenty of people seemingly have made up their minds already which is a difficult position to come back from.

It is mental though, given how little of him we’ve seen. Conversely though he will need to hit the ground running sooner or later.

20 in 36 last season. 11 in 11 the season before (injured?). 8 in 38 the season before that. Bear in mind he is 23 so that's going back to when he was 20/21. And its not at SPFL Championship level.

I don't know why there is this constant denigration of Shankland on FF.
At 23 the potential is there to be another McCoist!
Especially if he comes to us.

I hope we do sign him!
Sooner rather than later.
He will score goals.
Has a predator's instinct.

As for Itten.For me... the jury is out.
Haven't seen enough.

Be interesting to see who scores the most between the two, if Shankland doesn't move.
Considering the teams they play for, and the number of chances created for each, and appearances made.

I only hope Shankland doesn't end up across the road.
As he is good bear, and to see him in those colors would be hard to bear! (no pun intended)

Bo Anderson would have been a better comparison to Itten and I think by what I’ve saw on video of Itten he is twice the player that Bo was so there ard good times ahead

Interesting comparison.
So what have you seen on Itten on video mate?
Apart from youtube clips?

I don't know why there is this constant denigration of Shankland on FF.
At 23 the potential is there to be another McCoist!
Especially if he comes to us.

I hope we do sign him!
Sooner rather than later.
He will score goals.
Has a predator's instinct.

As for Itten.For me... the jury is out.
Haven't seen enough.

Be interesting to see who scores the most between the two, if Shankland doesn't move.
Considering the teams they play for, and the number of chances created for each, and appearances made.

I only hope Shankland doesn't end up across the road.
As he is good bear, and to see him in those colors would be hard to bear! (no pun intended)

Pretty sure my posts have been in defence of Itten, and the ridiculous rush to write him off, rather than denigrating Shankland. The stats I posted make clear that he has a good record at a decent top flight level.

As for who will score the most this season then it’s not a valid comparison. Shankland is a guaranteed starter for Dundee United. With it looking likely Morelos will be staying Itten is one of 4 strikers vying for a starting slot at Rangers. Not hard to figure out how it will end.

To be clear though, Shankland isn’t good enough for us, or them, and won’t be playing for either in the near future.

Your last sentence is utter nonsense, our club has invested millions on this guy and he hasn’t really settled into the team yet or had a run of games, far, far too early to suggest he’s not good enough.

Pretty sure my posts have been in defence of Itten, and the ridiculous rush to write him off, rather than denigrating Shankland. The stats I posted make clear that he has a good record at a decent top flight level.

As for who will score the most this season then it’s not a valid comparison. Shankland is a guaranteed starter for Dundee United. With it looking likely Morelos will be staying Itten is one of 4 strikers vying for a starting slot at Rangers. Not hard to figure out how it will end.

To be clear though, Shankland isn’t good enough for us, or them, and won’t be playing for either in the near future.
That denigration reference was not just aimed at you mate, but all those that maintain he will never cut it at Rangers.Maybe will never find out.Anyway it's all about my opinion. I respect yours.

If you go looking you can get full matches he has played in mate but yes other than that there won’t be many if any Rangers fan have saw him playing in the flesh
i thought there was somebody claiming to have seen games from the Swiss league.
Not sure how...unless he lived there.
Anyway only time will tell on Itten.

I think it's fair to say he is still settling in, but given the two if Roofe was fit ...if you could only play one against Gala or the Tims to get the goals...which one would you choose?

I think it's fair to say he is still settling in, but given the two if Roofe was fit ...if you could only play one against Gala or the Tims to get the goals...which one would you choose?
Itten for me as he is far more disciplined than Roofe who is the better flair player and has more skill but in some matches we can’t afford players not working their socks off, Roofe looks like he has to get fitter to be able to do the hard work off the ball.

You don’t have to live in Switzerland to watch Swiss football.

Itten for me as he is far more disciplined than Roofe who is the better flair player and has more skill but in some matches we can’t afford players not working their socks off, Roofe looks like he has to get fitter to be able to do the hard work off the ball.

Roofe never stops working? Itten will come good.

Good points.
I wonder if Gerrard will face this dilemma in few weeks time.
Or is Roofe already out, for def?

Have no clue of the standard.
Apart from when the Swiss teams make the CL...or Europa League games.
Can't believe we didn't beat Young Boys on their patch!
Luckily it didn't matter.

Last edited:
I get the debate, and I think Shankland is almost what we need. I keep changing my mind on this one though.

For some reason, I think that we should always have the best Scottish striker available on our books. Maybe that’s an old fashioned ideal, especially if that person is top end Prem level.

Shankland could be the top Scottish striker soon, but not if he comes to us and sits on the bench.

A bit of a catch 22. If he kicks on with Dundee Utd, scores for fun, hat-tricks, international goals, etc, we will need to pay more, but if we buy him now, he might not develop.

I get the debate, and I think Shankland is almost what we need. I keep changing my mind on this one though.

For some reason, I think that we should always have the best Scottish striker available on our books. Maybe that’s an old fashioned ideal, especially if that person is top end Prem level.

Shankland could be the top Scottish striker soon, but not if he comes to us and sits on the bench.

A bit of a catch 22. If he kicks on with Dundee Utd, scores for fun, hat-tricks, international goals, etc, we will need to pay more, but if we buy him now, he might not develop.
In this league?
...ok I will say it ...'he will score for fun!'

Any one thinking Shankland would suit our style of play clearly haven't watched him play.

Defoe can struggle in our team at times and his movement, intelligence, touch, vision and goalscoring ability is something Shankland can only dream of.

It's not as simple as, set Shankland up and he will score a bucket load.

I don't see many clubs in for him and thankfully we are targeting a better calibre of player.

Back