Lawrence Shankland in transfer talks with Dundee United

Bonnyloyal

DUNDEE UNITED have launched an ambitious bid to land in-demand striker Lawrence Shankland.

The Tannadice club have put an offer to the 23-year-old former Ayr United hitman in the hope of beating off interest from England.

Sunderland and Hull City have been linked with the former Aberdeenyoungster, who scored 34 goals last season.

Dundee tried to sign Shankland last summer but couldn’t agree a fee.

However he is now a free agent and United feel he could boost their Premiership promotion bid next season.

Sporting director Tony Asghar said: “We are in talks with Shankland’s representatives and we have made an offer to come to Dundee United.

“We see Lawrence as a top player and we want him to be part of our Championship challenge and beyond.

“We know Lawrence is very much a player in demand and has a lot of offers elsewhere and we are hopeful things will come to a conclusion, either way, very quickly.”

Ian McCall said he has an offer from a club in Scotland where you have to be mentally strong. He also said there may be interest from a very, very big club but questioned whether he would get game time.

There's been very little interest in him. He was desperately hoping we would come in for him but there wasn't any chance of that. The only English interest was Sunderland but the takeover has put any transfers on hold for now.
As said above both Dundee sides are interested.

Reactions: Gee
He’s a great young player and I think will do well in a middle table SPL side or League 1. I’d take him as our third choice striker behind Alfie and Defoe but he’d never be any more than that and I think the boy has ambition of being a regular starter. This years Nicky Clark

His wee (mentally challenged?) pal McDaid is at Dundee I think? Maybe he will join him there but a major backwards step to join any club in the Championship up here.

Don't really get the hype about this kid tbh but good luck wherever he goes.

There will 100% be offers from Scottish Premiership clubs and better clubs down south.

This is just a soundbite released by Dundee Utd to get their fans excited that they're doing stuff - probably in the hope of selling more season tickets.

They have zero chance of getting him.

Thought the likes of Motherwell would have went for him.Coukd still happen I suppose

He’s a great young player and I think will do well in a middle table SPL side or League 1. I’d take him as our third choice striker behind Alfie and Defoe but he’d never be any more than that and I think the boy has ambition of being a regular starter. This years Nicky Clark
A great young player who you'd sign for Rangers yet you compare him to Nicky Clark?

Bring him in as the 3rd striker if the academy lads are heading on loan - note the if I dont know the plans for them.
I'd rather have him as a backup than another Sadiq.

He will do a job for any of the two dundee teams.

I'll stick my neck out and say he can score the goals to bring any of the two back to the premier.

A great young player who you'd sign for Rangers yet you compare him to Nicky Clark?

Wondered that myself.

The boy clearly knows where the net is but despite all the supposed interest, it's now a battle between the two Dundee teams over where he'll be playing his Championship football next season. Maybe just his level.

Sign Shankland and loan him out to a Livingston or St Johnstone with the proviso that that he cannot play against us. Or loan him out to whomever is Celtic's bogey team outside of last season's top six.
In fact, Livingston took points of them last season with a couple of 0 v 0's so he might get a winner against them. It would be interesting to see if he can make the step up in the SPL. No way is Dundee Hibs a step up from Ayr United.

Last edited:
The lad just isn’t a modern day footballer. People judged him only on his goal record at a very poor level. He can finish but finishing ability alone is not enough for a striker anymore.

And some on here thought he would be good enough for us.

Mentalists

I think he would be a good option to have in the squad im pretty sure he would be.

How does this story prove hes not good enough ?

Does he have to be linked with a move to serie A or something to prove hes a goalscorer ? and according to the article there is plenty of other offers.

I would only have him at Rangers as a third choice (possibly 4th after Stewart) for coming off the bench or playing in cup games against lower opposition. My comparison to Clark is the fact he tore up the lower leagues but couldn't quite hack it at a big club.

I think he would be a good option to have in the squad im pretty sure he would be.

How does this story prove hes not good enough ?

Does he have to be linked with a move to serie A or something to prove hes a goalscorer ? and according to the article there is plenty of other offers.
If the only club tracking him is Dundee United it tells me enough that he’s not good enough.

Rumours that championship clubs were trailing him appears to be lies as per usual if he goes to Dundee United.

I’m not denying he’s a goal scorer, Nicky Clark is also a goal scorer but he was nowhere near good enough for us

There are loads of clubs in for Shankland. League 1 England, SPFL and Championship clubs.
Dundee Unied trying to appease their fans nothing more nothing less.

I would only have him at Rangers as a third choice (possibly 4th after Stewart) for coming off the bench or playing in cup games against lower opposition. My comparison to Clark is the fact he tore up the lower leagues but couldn't quite hack it at a big club.
So why would you have him at one of the biggest clubs in the world then?

Sign Shankland and loan him out to a Livingston or St Johnstone with the proviso that that he cannot play against us. Or loan him out to whomever is Celtic's bogey team outside of last season's top six.
In fact, Livingston took points of them last season with a couple of 0 v 0's so he might get a winner against them. It would be interesting to see if he can make the step up in the SPL. No way is Dundee Hibs a step up from Ayr United.

You not want a name change to virtual reality mind.

Or fifa 64 mind.

Back