Lawrence shankland

Surprised that some are mentioning only Nicky Clark by way of comparison. Remember when we signed Nacho Novo, the reaction was mixed. Shankland is young enough to improve and feel that he would be a low risk signing. Wouldn’t be surprised if our scouting team have been having a look at him.

I’d be surprised if any more that a small percentage of people on FF genuinely know much about this player.

I’d be surprised if any more that a small percentage of people on FF genuinely know much about this player.
To be honest, not that much , watched his goals compilation , few very decent ones , few average and a few the keeper should have thrown his proverbial cap on .

Looks an instinctive penalty box striker , is he good enough for us ,maybe not but someone in our division will take a punt on him if he keeps scoring as regularly as he has been.

All in my humble opinion , of course.

There’s been a rumour floating all day that he’s coming and being loaned back to Ayr for the season.

He’s nearly 24 and enjoying the form of his life.

I’m not convinced there’s much truth in this but who knows.

Just turned 23 8 days ago.

To be honest, not that much , watched his goals compilation , few very decent ones , few average and a few the keeper should have thrown his proverbial cap on .

Looks an instinctive penalty box striker , is he good enough for us ,maybe not but someone in our division will take a punt on him if he keeps scoring as regularly as he has been.

All in my humble opinion , of course.

I’d like to think the scouting team have watched him at least

Undoubtedly. I fall into this category.
However, we have taken punts on players doing well with small clubs in the past, and ended up with diamonds. The boy is rattling them in, so let's see what he's made of at a higher level and forget the Nicky Clark comparison.
He could be anything, and no one on here knows what.

Is he good enough to come in and make a difference in a Rangers shirt on the four fronts we are competing on?

Morelos goes down with an injury, could he come in and do the business?

Does he get a game ahead of Morelos, Sadiq, Lafferty, Solanke or the likes - players we've been linked with?

The lad needs to be playing regular football and no offence to him, he's not going to get that at Rangers.

Absolutely astonished that people think he's good enough.
I am interested that you say this.
Do you have an in-depth background knowledge of this player after having watched him a lot which brings you to such an absolute conclusion?

Personally, I have only watched his video's on YouTube, in which I saw a player who had filled out since his days with QP when he played against Rangers.
What I saw was a player who scored goals with both feet, from distance and from inside a crowded box and a player who could score with his head amidst the traffic of a busy goal area, I also noticed that he was able to take a touch in tight areas whilst also having the cool head to know where the goal remained.

However, all of these goals last season 29/31 were scored in the third tier, ......you then ask yourself can he make the next step up?
This season he has started on fire.....so yes he can.
Then you take a gamble on whether he can again make another step up to the top tier.
But it won't be the expensive gamble that Herrera and Pena were.

However, I will give the floor to you because you seem so much more sure of your position than I am.

I agree. Not what we need just now.

I know Vardy was found at lower leagues but that was a one off.

We need someone who will guarantee goals.

Who can guarantee goals.?
Boyd came back and he couldn't deliver, Shankland would be worth a try IMHO.

Who can guarantee goals.?
Boyd came back and he couldn't deliver, Shankland would be worth a try IMHO.

Sorry mate. But we are in the position to turn the screw on them. Let's get someone proven.

In that case we should have taken the lad back from Livi instead of loaning him out again if this is the route we were going down as he is only 21.

Nowhere near Rangers level
Do you have an in-depth background knowledge of this player after having watched him a lot which brings you to such an absolute conclusion?

Personally, I have only watched his video's on YouTube, in which I saw a player who had filled out since his days with QP when he played against Rangers.
What I saw was a player who scored goals with both feet, from distance and from inside a crowded box and a player who could score with his head amidst the traffic of a busy goal area, I also noticed that he was able to take a touch in tight areas whilst also having the cool head to know where the goal remained.

However, all of these goals last season 29/31 were scored in the third tier, ......you then ask yourself can he make the next step up?
Then you take a gamble on whether he can again make another step up to the top tier.

However, I will give the floor to you because you seem so much more sure of your position than I am.

I put this to you on another thread which you have obviously missed.
Perhaps on this one, you can elaborate upon your short and frank opinion.

Don’t know a lot about this lad

Has anyone seen him play in lastv2 years?

We defo need cover in our attack

He has a developing career. We won't help that by signing him and putting him on the bench or reserves. If he goes to a team like hearts or killie and does well so be it. He won't cost so much more later and he will have learned at first team lev

He has a developing career. We won't help that by signing him and putting him on the bench or reserves. If he goes to a team like hearts or killie and does well so be it. He won't cost so much more later and he will have learned at first team lev
No....if he actually does what you say, we will then be competing with English clubs.
We need to get in before the English clubs.
Ala Katic and Barasic.

If we have the funds available why not besides if we wait others will take the chance, as we all know players develop at different times in their career, I am sure our DOF will know all about this lad.

Bilko mate, surely the issue is the price. If we could get him for a fiver then the gamble is a no brainer. If buying him dented the budget to the extent that it risked us losing out on a genuine target....let him stay where he is. Mark Allen will make the call and so far his decisions have been pretty damn good.

Possibility but because Nicky ended up how he did doesn't mean we should never look at a similar type of transfer again .

Not saying we should definitely go out and sign him by the way but might be worth a punt for little outlay.

Nicky Clark was playing an entire division below Shankland is now and, even though Clark didn't turn into McCoist, I don't think we can use him as some example of a disastrous signing anyway.

“He’s one of us, sign him up”

Got to be up there with one of the worst reasons to sign a player.

Past 2 years we had plenty of bears in the team and they were all absolutely mince and shat it against the bheasts

Personally, I have barely seen Shankland play however, at Ayr Utd I’d be surprised if he was good enough to make our bench

yu0ezvg.jpg

I think he’s worth a risk at 200k.

If he wasn’t good enough for us he could end up being a player we used in the future in a swap type deal at one of the other SPFL teams.

The lad has had loan spells at Dunfermline, St Mirren and Morton and failed at all of them before finding his level at Ayr Utd.

By all accounts he is a good Bear but please don’t let this muddy the waters... he’s no where good enough for our squad..

I know this is damning with faimt praise but I too , like our coaching team , never noticed Andrew Robertson at Queens' Park match at Hampden but I did notice Shankland whom I thought was impressive and was someone we should sign. I was surprised he failed at Aberdeen but then again he isn't a McInnes type striker.

Back