Lawrence Shankland

MarkWalters11

to be honest I would say he is better off plying his trade else where, he needs games to improve the same as Rudden, if we signed him he would get 10 mins here and there and he would stagnate.
I think we should have signed him and loaned him to United or Falkirk 2 seasons to improve

CaptainCourageous

We dont have many strikers/goalscorers though and i certainly would say our bench is strong even ifs a lot better than last season.

Are you not often going nuts about the same squad of players any time we drop points ?

Would also be good for the lad to train with someone like Defoe and ofcourse Alfie.

Yes the post above is correct(suffockger) we should have signed him it was an odd decision not too when he was out of contract. Hes gonna be worth quite a bit of money and will no doubt be part of the Scotland set up.
He's 24, wouldn't make our squad and sitting in the stands isn't going to do him any good.

He needs to be playing regularly and he isn't good enough to get that at Rangers.

His work out side the box is terrible and let's not compare him to Boyd because he isn't close to him in terms of ability.

ICA_86

I think he moved to scumdee United due to being scared. Scared that he couldn’t score goals at a higher level.

If he had gone to England to the championship where he was linked and didn’t score goals then who knows what would’ve happened to his career. Join United and play every week at a level he’s proved he will score goals at and make decent money wasn’t a risk for him.
He went there because they gave him an absolutely absurd signing on fee for that level of football.

SDF

He went there because they gave him an absolutely absurd signing on fee for that level of football.
Six figure signing on fee supposedly.

"Eye watering money" according to a Beeb journalist.

Give the boy his due, easy to say "aye it's the Championship" but no other player is putting up numbers like him and none of our lot did when we were there either.

Dumfriesbear

He didnt do it at the top lever beforte granted older and more experienced now. Maybe attitude outwith the game?

Gringo

He’s a brilliant lad and a good bear, he is nowhere good enough for Rangers though, wish folk would stop suggesting it.

He has his level.

I know a couple of boys who went to the Ayr - Dundee Utd game, they said Shankland was anonymous.

Thornliebank_Bear

Il tell you who reminds me of, Ally McCoist he has the same strikers instinct. He knows where to be and is alert and ready to finish. Goals win games we are playing so many tough fixtures too with a short rest and ofcourse sides crowding the box/being allowed to put the boot in and play physical. Shankland understands the physical side of the game here and can deal with it.

(didnae say he was same level as ally but is better at puting his head on any decent crosses)

QueensferryCR3Bear

As I've said on other threads, if FF existed in the 90s folk would have been calling for us to sign Eddie Annand and Mark Yardley..... Shankland is no different.

Gringo

Would have been a far better option than greg stewart, ( yes he plays for us)
No doubt, greg will get a pay off next summer.
What are you basing this on?

Stewart has performed excellently in the top division previously.

Shankland hasnt, he couldn’t score at this level.

Square and compass

What are you basing this on?

Stewart has performed excellently in the top division previously.

Shankland hasnt, he couldn’t score at this level.
Stewart is lazy, he admitted that himself with weight gain.
Shankland bangs them in, a player has to start somewhere.
Where did morelos come from- i cant remember the name.
If stewart cant get game time till xmas with all the games and prove his worth, then bye bye in the summer.

Davidsmith1

Any poacher/penalty box striker will score for fun in a better team. Had Boyd went to Man U and played with them players he would have scored loads in the EPL,Had Shearer went to Barca he would have scored loads
In my opinion it was a no brainer to sign the boy and it's our loss.

blair_omnibus

No, not another 'we should/should have signed him' thread.

Genuinely interested in understanding what the deal is with this guy from anyone who's seen him play regularly. Saw that he stuck another brace in for those Dundee w@nks today. Think that's 8 in 5 so far this season. 50 in 61 for Ayr United.

Is he just a good goalscorer at that level? Does he have a good all round game or just an out and out poacher who knows where the goal is?

And is he just very good at that level or potentially capable of doing it at a higher level?
Nicky Clark.

It’s basically his level.

Business_Bear

No, not another 'we should/should have signed him' thread.

Genuinely interested in understanding what the deal is with this guy from anyone who's seen him play regularly. Saw that he stuck another brace in for those Dundee w@nks today. Think that's 8 in 5 so far this season. 50 in 61 for Ayr United.

Is he just a good goalscorer at that level? Does he have a good all round game or just an out and out poacher who knows where the goal is?

And is he just very good at that level or potentially capable of doing it at a higher level?
Clearly a good goalscorer but his link up play is excellent as well which puts to bed the 'Hes just another Nicky Clark' myth.

Clay Davis

The comparison to Nicky Clark is madness. Prior to signing for us Clark scores 8 goals in 77 games in the second tier over 3 seasons.

Clark plays for Dundee United just now infact. Shankland has already scored more league this season than Clark managed all of last season.

Davie Weir

M
The comparison to Nicky Clark is madness. Prior to signing for us Clark scores 8 goals in 77 games in the second tier over 3 seasons.

Clark plays for Dundee United just now infact. Shankland has already scored more league this season than Clark managed all of last season.
Clark scored 41 goals in 46 games the season before joining us