Lawwell and Desmond don't fear Gerrard?

bLuE PirAtE

I'm trying to work out why Celtic have opted to stick with Lennon. 10IAR is their holy grail. I can only imagine they are going to invest heavily in the team to ensure Lennon delivers 9 and 10. Although maybe their £10 million transfer kitty may need to be kept for the compensation claims. I wonder if they see SG as a real threat or they honestly think wee Neil will put Stevie G in his place?
It's intriguing.

Reactions: Dio
They’ve done a treble treble, they have a sizeable financial advantage, they won the league at a canter.

There isn’t any serious reason for them to have any fear, some nerves perhaps, but not fear. I do think with a good summer Gerrard will take them though. Of course It will depend on what business they do too, but Liewell takes their support for mugs and has always been happy to do the bare minimum so I wouldn’t expect anything significant.

For their fans (and ours, to an extent) 10 in a row is everything. To their directors it doesn’t mean anything, they would rather qualify for the CL.

Lennon was the cheap option and it will come back to bite them. We are a better side than them currently, however, a lot is riding on the summer window.

Lawwell's absolute fear just now is of a knock on his door. For his actions in paying out £1m hush money from Celtic's account to a convicted paedophile - Lawwell's wee part in the decades old, systematic and obnoxious cover up of 30 plus years of disgusting child abuse.

He has no time to fear Gerrard just now.

They appointed TLB for continuity of some sort, forget about rafa (snigger) it is all about risk management for them. If they brought in Moyes for example they would have little time to prepare for the new season, I'm confident that we are at least for now in a better place than them. Let's see what the summer brings though.

Lawwell's absolute fear just now is of a knock on his door. For his actions in paying out £1m hush money from Celtic's account to a convicted paedophile - Lawwell's wee part in the decades old, systematic and obnoxious cover up of 30 plus years of disgusting child abuse.

Is the right answer.

They will look for every favour and bit of what they call ‘help’ the minute it looks like we’ve got a real chance.

This. We definitely need to be that bit better than them as no doubt the SFA/SPFL/Refs will bend over backwards to help them if they need it. But Mr Gerrard has their number and I am very confident we will be celebrating 55 this time next year

They won’t fear us in the slightest, it’s not what we want to see or hear on here but it’s the truth, they have won 9 trophy’s in a row at an absolute canter, they see 10 in a row as the holy grail, I’m sure they will give Lennon plenty of money to spend to try and achieve this.

They appointed TLB for continuity of some sort, forget about rafa (snigger) it is all about risk management for them. If they brought in Moyes for example they would have little time to prepare for the new season, I'm confident that we are at least for now in a better place than them. Let's see what the summer brings though.

I think its exactly this, if they brought in a foreign manager then the risk is there for them to completely flop, like our recent experience with Pedro and in the past with Le Guen.

With Moyes; I agree with you, he would need time to settle in his ideas.

With Lennon they know what they are getting, they know the risk. I don't believe a word of the Tim board not caring for 10 in a row. They want it and they want to say it happened under their watch.

Is the correct answer nobody is gonna touch them with a bargepole niw

They've saved millions not having to pay for a managerial overhaul.

With their players leaving this summer, they can spend up to £10m this summer whilst still reducing the wage bill (though they'll have to reduce it significantly if they don't get Champions League football).

They still believe that their current squad would beat ours over the course of a season, rightly or wrongly.

For me, there's very little between the sides as it is, but we have to at least aim to match what they spend, whilst hoping to spend better than them.

I believe we have a better management and coaching staff now; the two teams' strongest XI's are pretty even. A lot depends on this summer's recruitment.

I’d imagine they have reined in ambitions of managerial and player recruitment based on the scenario of finally manning up and paying out compensation to the victims and families as well as realising that qualification for the CL is more or less a pipe dream for them now. Perhaps they are also pretty assured and confident in their compliance officer and match officials getting the job over the line for them too without the need for huge spendings on the playing staff.

They are also burdened with inflated and onerous contracts from the last 3/4 years and will want those guys off the books before ripping it up and starting anew. But given how dominant we were in the two Ibrox OF’s and the fact we should have left the piggery with something in April they are playing a dangerous game

Maybe a couple of half decent spl players .Maybe.
Can you imagine If they start throwing money about on big name players ?? No chance,They know what's coming.

They just won a treble ! We were not at any cup final . We have progressed but the most frustrating aspect is that we are moving in small steps . Yes we have improved under SG however we have been beating by Aberdeen and couldn’t get the better of Killie . With the budget we are operating at we should be the direct opponent when competing against the bheasts. No one else is capable to stop them aided and abeited by the corrupt SFA and their paid officials . When there is a game defining moment or a 50/50 it’s only giving in one direction . They have complete control of the Scottish media , officials and our MSPs they truelly have the Scottish game by the stranglehold . It’s going to take a very special football team to stop total domination by a very average football team .

I'm trying to work out why Celtic have opted to stick with Lennon. 10IAR is their holy grail. I can only imagine they are going to invest heavily in the team to ensure Lennon delivers 9 and 10. Although maybe their £10 million transfer kitty may need to be kept for the compensation claims. I wonder if they see SG as a real threat or they honestly think wee Neil will put Stevie G in his place?
It's intriguing.
or they couldn't get anyone decent to take the job on and he was their only real choice.

I’d imagine they have reined in ambitions of managerial and player recruitment based on the scenario of finally manning up and paying out compensation to the victims and families as well as realising that qualification for the CL is more or less a pipe dream for them now. Perhaps they are also pretty assured and confident in their compliance officer and match officials getting the job over the line for them too without the need for huge spendings on the playing staff.

They are also burdened with inflated and onerous contracts from the last 3/4 years and will want those guys off the books before ripping it up and starting anew. But given how dominant we were in the two Ibrox OF’s and the fact we should have left the piggery with something in April they are playing a dangerous game

I wouldn't be so sure about them not qualifying, they are notoriously shite in champions league their qualification path is actually potentially a lot easier than ours for europa due to them being in the champions path and seeded for all four rounds. Hardest team they can get is Young Boys or Paok but even that is unlikely.

It's a reasonable decision from them but I think they would have preferred Steve Clarke. A new manager would stutter as he gets to know the division and put a team together while we fly ahead. Lennon at least knows the league and can do well. Can he put a squad together that accept being shouted at in time for the new season? We really need to make a good start to put them under pressure. Player retention for both sides might be key.

Last edited:
Remember how poisonous he made Scottish football last time round?

When things start going against “poor wee Lenny” expect the victim card to be pulled out at any opportunity again. Expect referee strikes again. Expect candlelit vigils again with #prayforneil *boak* again. Expect every trick in the book again, and no doubt they’ll have a few new ones up their sleaves.

Stevie has his number and the fallout is going to be worth it.

It could possibly be that they simply don,t have the money that people think they do .isn,t their wage bill some thing like 54 000 000.for a club in Scotland that is a ridiculous wage bill which I,m pretty sure with out champions league football they wouldn,t be able to sustain for a long period of time.

In their eyes they must be confident enough that they can get 10IAR with what they have. Also their budget is huge, they got lucky in the sense that Rodgers was a fan and was without a job and despite that still had a hefty wage, trying to attract a manage without the connections like that would cost a lot of money so they'll take what they know in Lennon rather than take a risk of bringing in a Deila

That is the only point surrounding this appointment that makes any sense.

There just isn't any other point that makes any sense, even they themselves are not buying it.

Remember how poisonous he made Scottish football last time round?

When things start going against “poor wee Lenny” expect the victim card to be pulled out at any opportunity again. Expect referee strikes again. Expect candlelit vigils again with #prayforneil *boak* again. Expect every trick in the book again, and no doubt they’ll have a few new ones up their sleaves.

Stevie has his number and the fallout is going to be worth it.

Does Gerrard have his number? We faced a Lennon managed team 4 times last season and won one of those games.

Reactions: dmg
Lennon was told he had the job (without any contract Terms) in the toilets of Parkheid - I don't believe for a second he was first choice - whoever that was rejected the job last week.

Not one Bheast supporter thinks this is a good appointment.

We have a real chance next season.

Pandering to the lowest common denominator of their fan base Lennon was the ONLY choice they could make . With what is out in the open just now and what we know is still to come , no one else would take up this post .

It could possibly be that they simply don,t have the money that people think they do .isn,t their wage bill some thing like 54 000 000.for a club in Scotland that is a ridiculous wage bill which I,m pretty sure with out champions league football they wouldn,t be able to sustain for a long period of time.
£59M in last accounts. Brenda & a lot of dross about to leave but thats not going to show up in the accounts for another year.

Does Gerrard have his number? We faced a Lennon managed team 4 times last season and won one of those games.

I think that was more our own failings than his managerial prowess. We played hibs off the park but couldn't score.

They're not worried about us, but they are worried what will happen in the courts and they are worried about they're finances running out of control.

Liewell is quoted as thinking they do not need any major changes to playing staff and coaching staff. They have a number of big earners disappearing this close season and I don't think they will be replaced with similar high earners.

They've saved millions not having to pay for a managerial overhaul.

With their players leaving this summer, they can spend up to £10m this summer whilst still reducing the wage bill (though they'll have to reduce it significantly if they don't get Champions League football).

They still believe that their current squad would beat ours over the course of a season, rightly or wrongly.

For me, there's very little between the sides as it is, but we have to at least aim to match what they spend, whilst hoping to spend better than them.

I believe we have a better management and coaching staff now; the two teams' strongest XI's are pretty even. A lot depends on this summer's recruitment.

It’s about common sense for me , after we knock them out the cup 2016 , they go out and get a top manager pay over £3m per year then dominate , now they face a team that posses a much greater threat and they take the Hibs reject , this move is out of necessity not choice . And is a massive sign of their intention both on and off the field this season .

It’s being treated as a business move and when you look at it from their side it 100% makes sense. Their sell on clause business alone is probably more than out transfer budget this year, they’ll get into the CL group and as long as they keep talking things up, their rancid sheep will follow.

They won’t fear us in the slightest, it’s not what we want to see or hear on here but it’s the truth, they have won 9 trophy’s in a row at an absolute canter, they see 10 in a row as the holy grail, I’m sure they will give Lennon plenty of money to spend to try and achieve this.

Craig Thomson has retired. That's one thing in our favour. He's one of the reasons they won the league at a canter.

It’s being treated as a business move and when you look at it from their side it 100% makes sense. Their sell on clause business alone is probably more than out transfer budget this year, they’ll get into the CL group and as long as they keep talking things up, their rancid sheep will follow.

What makes you think they'll get into the CL group?

Reactions: VGM
It's intriguing.

Watching the two teams in that awful final on Saturday,we should have nothing to fear from Celtc.
They used to say how many Rangers players would get into the Celtc team?
But in your honest opinion,how many Celtc players would get into our team?
No neck and McGregor that's about all if we are truthful.
If we get the right players in and depending what they do (which I think they will not spend big as they have other serious matters to think about) I think we could get to 55?
BUT WE NEED TO STOP INDIVIDUAL ERRORS!!!!

They won more points than us in the time Lennon was manager. I am confident we can win the league next season but we need to seriously improve our consistency to do so.

Our best unbeaten league run was 7 matches, 19 points gained. We also had a couple of 6 match unbeaten runs. Not nearly good enough. We have to have a 16 match run collecting 42/44 points before we can start dreaming. We are in a match better place than before, but still rely on 3 or 4 players to get us over the line.

They need a placeman manager in the position should the abuse scandal fully come out. They cannot trust a "normal" person being manager who's morals would differ from their club.
It's as simple as that
Toe the party line for now & continue to deny deny deny

My take is that they could possibly have thrown millions at a new manager to chase 9 and (maybe 10) but instead decided that those millions would be better invested in players. There's a big shake up this summer for them on players. They maybe just need a bit of stability and familiarity to try and manage that change. Fingers crossed they feck up... spectacularly.

Lennon is in the paper today saying the leauge is priority, not UCL

So they'll be going all out.

However, you can't help but shake the feeling, he's their main choice simply because everyone of note knows the truth, that they are a disgrace of a club, complicit in covering up abuse of children

Back