Lawwell and Lennon pay respects at Ibrox to Fernando

Genuinely want to commend both Lawwell and Lennon for this gesture

It is a great memory and respect for Fernando and we all appreciate them taking the time out to do this

Well done and thank you

We are human beings and this is the right way we want to be treated both ways

Thank you

In my humble opinion it's a sad day when some folk are being praised for acting and behaving like normal human rational people.
Well done to them for doing it but should that just not be the norm without receiving special praise for it?

In my humble opinion it's a sad day when some folk are being praised for acting and behaving like normal human rational people.
Well done to them for doing it but should that just not be the norm without receiving special praise for it?
Yes, you are probably right.
However, they still didn't have to do it, and if they hadn't no one would have thought to even mention it as it wasn't necessary or expected.
There is no precedent in this matter for such behaviour.
So given that it appears totally sincere and heartfelt then it is all the more commendable in all of its very fine human aspects.

Go get a life ! Your utter lack of class is extremely regrettable and not befitting of our great club or Fernando's memory.

And yet you see the press and the headlines and should know I am 100% spot on. I am not going to shut my eyes to the fact of all the cameras, video clips and press coverage since was clearly orchestrated.

I’m afraid I don’t believe it was done with the best of intentions. It makes a good bit of PR for them. Humanises a club which has had terrible stories of inhuman treatment of children connected with them over decades. It would be nice if they were genuine, but I simply don’t believe it.

Yes, you are probably right.
However, they still didn't have to do it, and if they hadn't no one would have thought to even mention it as it wasn't necessary or expected.
There is no precedent in this matter for such behaviour.
So given that it appears totally sincere and heartfelt then it is all the more commendable in all of its very fine human aspects.
You too are correct, but-

The precedent was set when Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch visited the tributes to Phil O'Donnell. However, unlike Lennon and Lawwell, they showed up looking like they were headed out for a pint or two in their local boozer and not suited and booted as befits Rangers players and certainly not in the reverential way the way the Celtic two were dressed.

You too are correct, but-

The precedent was set when Barry Ferguson and Lee McCulloch visited the tributes to Phil O'Donnell. However, unlike Lennon and Lawwell, they showed up looking like they were headed out for a pint or two in their local boozer and not suited and booted as befits Rangers players and certainly not in the reverential way the way the Celtic two were dressed.
I don't get your point.
You could easily represent this in two ways.

The first is that Fergie and Jig were sincere in their very private and discreet personal act of friendship to a pal who had passed on ... and that in Lennon and the Japanese case it was all done to gain very public exposure.
Or that in the case of Fergie and Jig their very casualness was a matter of careless disrespect, whereas the care taken by Lennon and the Japanese was a mark of professional and dignified deference.
Again I don't understand your point.

Nonetheless, I would rather say that both in their own manner are worthy of genuine merit.

Lennon I can get as I think as a fellow professional player of a similar age and in the same era it will revoke emotions. He will have known Ricksen more than most of us fans on a personal level due to this.

Liewell however, acting like a statesman here, but sorry I will not thank him. I will respect him being there at least but not for one minute do I think he is there other than for a camera opportunity and some PR. I wont rant about him anymore on this thread out of respect

I don't know if I agree.
Fergie and Jig would have known O'Donnell in a personal way that Lennon and the Japanese never knew Fernando.
I accept both as being honourable and sincere in their different ways.

Only my opinion, for what it's worth, but I believe that representatives of Rangers should behave and dress in certain manner.

Lennon is sincere and defo upset and his words genuine. Whilst I dislike him I believe his time away from Celtic did him good.

Using the word respect and Lawwell in the same sentence doesn't sit comfortably with me as it's patently clear that he doesn't respect anything Rangers related as his actions over many years prove.

I'm glad of the gesture snd will leave it at that and apologise if my second paragraph may offend as it is not in any way meant to.

To be fair to Lennon, his comments yesterday at their press conference seemed sincere, and were very decent.

Sometimes it takes great sadness to bring out the best in human nature
I read Lennon's comments and they did sound genuine and heartfelt

When the Rangers party turned up to the Tommy Burns tribute, the celtic fans applauded our men as they approached. A bus full of Rangers fans coming back from Manchester stopped off and they were also applauded.

I also drove by parkhead after our UEFA final and left my Rangers/Zenit scarf that I got for the final. All the fans around me genuinely appreciated mine and any other Rangers fans appearance who turned up.

It is nice to see respect being put above fierce rivalry. The fact they turned up to pay their respects and were warmly appreciated by the Rangers support is worthy of special mention.

Nice gesture and appreciated. We did the same after Billy McNeil's passing and its the way it should be. We are all human after all, and the thought of anyone we love or know suffering from a horrible condition like this has gone well past sporting rivalry.

Only my opinion, for what it's worth, but I believe that representatives of Rangers should behave and dress in certain manner.
I think you have a point in this but in a more general way rather than in any particular incident.

Surely the Japanese and Lennon were acting on behalf of a rival club towards a player who was a significant rival and one who had carried a huge international public interest in his life story and passing.
The world indeed has been watching.

Whilst in young O'Donnell's case as equally tragic as it was, he wasn't playing or representing a major rival nor was he of such significance in his public profile outside of Scotland.
Indeed young O'Donnell had fairly muted emotional impact on Celtc at the time of his demise and rather the real resonance of the tragedy was not inside Celtc Park but instead lay with Motherwell the club who nurtured his emergence in the game and the club who lost a valuable servant.

But nonetheless, I get your point.
There is a level of profile in everything a football club does in public and there carries with it a responsibility to be seen in a professional light at all times.

I found it difficult to read the other thread on Lennon when people descended into the usual rivalry and insults, but these moments really aren’t the time for that. Forget about what we all know about Lennon for a day, the fact is his comments were very respectful and to my ear, sounded very heart felt.

But remember he competed against Fernando directly, when you’re a relatively young man and you see that happen to another man you were a up and close to on a professional level, that’s surely got to affect you, and it certainly sounded like it affected Lennon.

People need to leave all the other shite at the door for a day, as someone else said, they didn’t have to do this but they did it, and it’s a nice mark of respect for a man who deserved it. These are instances where both clubs generally always do the right thing.
As usual a fantastic post.

Good on the pair of them, and in fact all the Celtic fans that have paid their respects. Compare and contrast with dolly. Their forum is basically one big piss take of the whole thing.

Good on the pair of them, and in fact all the Celtic fans that have paid their respects. Compare and contrast with dolly. Their forum is basically one big piss take of the whole thing.

So I fucking hate Celtic, and they hate us back. It’s a rivalry. But then you get hysteria and government summits when people say forbidden words. But at the end of the day we can show common decency at times like this (Baxter, Jimmy Johnston, McNeil being examples).

Aberdeen fans are genuinely the most hate filled individuals in Scotland - yet get a free ride as they arnt ‘sectarian’.

To do this less than 24 hours after a big Euro match, got to say, well done to Lawwell and Lennon.

Was touching to see Lennon give a little nod to those who applauded also and he is either the worlds best actor or is genuinely hurting.

The hatreds put to 1 side when it counts.

Last edited:
Credit where credit is due. A throwback to the days when there was a great deal of mutual respect and things weren't as bitter and poisonous. Still f*cking despise the pair of them and everything about their team but good manners and respect cost nothing and are greatly appreciated.

I don’t know how true it is, but I was told on the day Fernando passed that Neil Lennon was his most prolific visitor when he was in Glasgow.
I can’t stand Lennon, but I understand he seems to be pretty well thought of within the game.
I haven’t seen any of his comments but will try to find them.
Fair play to him for his actions as described in this thread.
The way it should be.

Slightly off track here, don't want to derail this thread but not sure where else to post it.

Read many wonderful tributes to Fernando over the last few days, one of the most poignant being the simple heartfelt tweet from Stiliyan Petrov.

This from a rival on the park, who has battled bravely against a horrible illness and thankfully won that battle. As we mourn the loss of Fernando, I have been reflecting on the strength and courage both guys showed in their very public battles with these deadly illnesses. In addition to raising funds and public awareness of these illnesses, they have probably subconsciously given countless families in similar circumstances up and down the country the strength and motivation to face their own personal battles.

For all their faults as individuals, like the rest of us, I can't stress my respect and admiration for Fernando and Stiliyan highly enough. It's bloody tough for families at times like these, god only knows how they get through it with the world watching.

I would just like to add that the world is a far better place with people like this in it.

Lennon seems genuinely cut up about Fernando's passing. I'm sure a lot of our and their players stayed quite near to each other around the early 2000's.
I think it maybe to do with that he was a direct opponent and he was younger than him. Brings it home more than someone from another era.

Certainly that's how I feel (44 next month).

Just makes you feel that wee bit lucky.

I found it difficult to read the other thread on Lennon when people descended into the usual rivalry and insults, but these moments really aren’t the time for that. Forget about what we all know about Lennon for a day, the fact is his comments were very respectful and to my ear, sounded very heart felt.

But remember he competed against Fernando directly, when you’re a relatively young man and you see that happen to another man you were a up and close to on a professional level, that’s surely got to affect you, and it certainly sounded like it affected Lennon.

People need to leave all the other shite at the door for a day, as someone else said, they didn’t have to do this but they did it, and it’s a nice mark of respect for a man who deserved it. These are instances where both clubs generally always do the right thing.

I was going to write something but your words sum up my thoughts perfectly.

Back