Le Soir match report - Europa League: Antwerp concede 3-4 defeat to Rangers in twisty match (video)

mdingwall

Administrator

Franky Vercauteren's men had an eventful evening against Glasgow Rangers, who finally won in the round of 16 first leg.

updated on 02/18/2021 at 23:34
by Belga
Photonews

Photonews
L'Antwerp lost 3 to 4 against Rangers on Thursday after a round of 16 first leg of the Europa League rich in twists and turns. Felipe Avenatti (45th), Lior Refaelov (45th + 8, from penalty) and Martin Hongla (67th) scored the Antwerp goals. Joe Aribo (39th), Ryan Kent (83rd) and two penalties from Borna Barisic (59th and 90th) put the Scots on a favorable waiver before the return, next Thursday.

Antwerp goalkeeper Alireza Beiranvand won his duel with Alfredo Morelos, who appeared alone against him (29th). The goalkeeper was less to his advantage a few minutes later, when he released the ball after an exit, Joe Aribo recovered the leather and did not hesitate to open the scoring (0-1, 39th).

Antwerp did not stay behind for long. Just before the break, Felipe Avenatti, tenured at the top given the absences of Dieumerci Mbokani (injured) and Didier Lamkel Zé (suspended), thanked Frank Vercauteren for the confidence: the Uruguayan sent a ball into the goal placed on his head by Lior Refaelov (1-1, 45th). The Golden Shoe found time to put Antwerp in charge just before the break, on a penalty he had himself obtained, on a fault by Steven Davis (2-1, 45 + 8).

At the start of the second half, Aribo presented himself against Beiranvand and crossed his shot, Maxime Le Marchand cleared just before the line (54th). Beiranvand was injured on this action. He got up, but had to throw in the towel about twenty minutes later, giving way to Ortwin De Wolf. Two minutes later, the VAR intervened to report a jersey pulling of Ritchie De Laet against Morelos. Borna Barisic transformed the penalty, despite the deflection of Beiranvand (2-2, 59th).

Served by Refaelov, Martin Hongla struck from the arc of a circle outside the rectangle. His shot hit the post before entering the goal (3-2, 67th).
Barely on the game, Ianis Hagi missed the equalizer ball. The Romanian, passed by Genk, missed the frame from the small rectangle on a center from the left (80th). Ryan Kent, who had replaced just before the break the former Anderlecht player Kemar Roofe, injured, put the two teams equal after a slalom in the Antwerp defense (3-3, 83rd).
The two teams delivered an unbridled end to the match. De Wolf and McGregor took turns saving their team by interposing respectively in front of Kent (85th) and Hongla (86th). Davis then countered a shot from De Laet on a confused action (87th). Then Seck deflected Kent's shot with his hand. Referee Georgi Kabakov awarded the penalty and waved a second yellow card to Seck, who left Antwerp at ten. Barisic presented himself again at eleven meters. The Croatian took De Wolf on the wrong foot (3-4, 90th).
Koji Miyoshi's shot from the post was the last twist of this thrilling end of the match (90th + 4).
The return leg will be played next Thursday at 6:55 p.m.

It annoyed me they used the terminology "round of 16". I had a debate with myself along the lines of:

"it's the round of 32 is it not? I'm sure there is 32 teams left? Wait, is it 16? Fvck, it might be? So we're 1 game away from the quarter finals? That can't be right, is it? Are we one game away from the quarters? Fvck, i'm gona check. We might be one game away from the quarters here lads!"

We're not. It's the round of 32.

D!cks.

Back