Leader on the Park

migsy323

Tav is not captain material and never will be. We need someone like a Barry Ferguson or Richard Gough who will shout and encourage players on the park
I have never seen Tav shout at anyone. If Katic had made the mistakes he did when playing with Ferguson or Gough he would have been told about his failings there and then

Not just Tav, apart from McGregor there is no leaders out there been said a million times before we dont have one.

Just on Tav who else thinks he wont be here next season?
I love Tav and have always defended him but recently i feel we are getting nothing from him ... his crosses always hit the first man .... i get the feeling that we need a wee shake up in personnel to change the culture and a few good guys will go for the sake of the team as a whole

I love Tav and have always defended him but recently i feel we are getting nothing from him ... his crosses always hit the first man .... i get the feeling that we need a wee shake up in personnel to change the culture and a few good guys will go for the sake of the team as a whole
I agree mate Morelos, Tav and Goldson to name a few

bang on.

Even before Christmas it was always Ryan Jack in my eyes. Clearly it wasn’t yesterday, but for most of the season he’s looked like the leader to me.

I’ll tell you one thing though, it sure as hell isnt James Tavernier and I think after 4 and a half years it’s about time some people finally wake up to that.

When Tav does not play we miss him. However, he has lost his ability to link up and assist to the same degree when Candeias was here.

Tav the player is important.

Tav the Captain is questionable.

He doesn't hide, demands the ball and keeps going.

But he doesn't seem capable of cajoling and inspiring others or demanding that draws are turned into victories the way Barry Ferguson or Gerrard could.

PS: It's impossible to read the thread title without singing "vroom, vroom" or "I met him at the candy store".

We miss Tav when he doesn't play. He offers us a lot in our attacking play. As captain though I agree, ho doesn't fit the bill in what is expected from a Rangers captain. I think Gerrard didn't have much choice at the time when he took over and this season maybe felt taking it away from him would have had a negative impact on him and the team.

Totally agree with op, but it’s 11 leaders I’m looking for , we just seem to be weak since the winter break

We have a team full of losers at this moment to be honest. There are on or two getting pass marks, but the majority have went into their shell and totally shat the bed. Not sure a "proper Captain" would be able to fix it either. Can get away with two or three dropping their standards at once, but when its six or seven at once we are bang in trouble.

Tav the player is important.

Tav the Captain is questionable.

He doesn't hide, demands the ball and keeps going.

But he doesn't seem capable of cajoling and inspiring others or demanding that draws are turned into victories the way Barry Ferguson or Gerrard could.

PS: It's impossible to read the thread title without singing "vroom, vroom" or "I met him at the candy store".
I fully agree with this.

I really like Tav as a player and think he can be part of a successful Rangers team. But I'm unsure if he leads a successful Rangers team?

Not just Tav, apart from McGregor there is no leaders out there been said a million times before we dont have one.

Just on Tav who else thinks he wont be here next season?
Me. Goals and assists dried up. Not leader. Decent on his day but not often enough. But his levels arent the only ones to drop.

Why do some players look knackered?

It wouldn't have mattered if you had Butcher,Gough etc playing ffs,Katic was running about like a Sunday league player,he had an absolute nightmare,it happens.
Stop over analysing everything.

Me. Goals and assists dried up. Not leader. Decent on his day but not often enough. But his levels arent the only ones to drop.

Confidence has gone mate, dont think Dubai has anything to do with form since the break just come back and shit the bed.

As for Tav i agree, he had something like 15 goals at this stage last season. Been poor overall this season

Ding ding ding BINGO! Full house for me in the moaning faced shite people hit out with on here after a poor result. "Tav doesn't shout enough" class.

@ALittleBitOfTheBubbly

A full house!

All we need now is...

"could ********* (insert ex player) do a job..."
"list of players on free agents - who should we sign"
"promote the youths til the end of the season"
"The manager needs someone experienced beside him"

And if all else fails, we can play Tav at right wing.

It wouldn't have mattered if you had Butcher,Gough etc playing ffs,Katic was running about like a Sunday league player,he had an absolute nightmare,it happens.
Stop over analysing everything.
Too simplistic, analysing should help identify and remove faults. It's necessary.
But, here's one for you, if there had been a Gough or a Butcher playing then perhaps Katic wouldn't have had such a stinker. Good leaders impart confidence in those around them.

Tav is not captain material and never will be. We need someone like a Barry Ferguson or Richard Gough who will shout and encourage players on the park
I have never seen Tav shout at anyone. If Katic had made the mistakes he did when playing with Ferguson or Gough he would have been told about his failings there and then

Jack was going absolutely through Goldson when we went 1-0 down.

It’s not just about shouting at people.

Gough, Butcher, Ferguson, Greig, etc were leaders because they demanded the very best from themselves for every single game. They wouldn’t tolerate a drop off in their own form. If they had a bad game they would come back stronger in the next game. They rarely (if ever) had a howler in the biggest matches - instead, this was exactly the kind of pressure they thrived on and they could be counted on.

This gave them the moral authority to demand the same from their team-mates. It meant they had their respect and the rest of the team would look to them as an example. It’s simple leadership. Leading from the front, leading by example.

Look at our current captain. How often has he been outstanding in the biggest matches? Cup finals, semis, big Euro matches - he’s either anonymous or guilty of making stupid mistakes. No wonder the rest of the players don’t seem to respond to him. He isn’t a leader, plain and rumple. Whether he is good enough to be in the team at all is another argument.

What is worrying is that we don’t have a single other player who would fit the criteria for being our captain. None of our defenders, perhaps Jack at a push from midfield and none of our strikers. It’s shameful and partially explains our recent dreadful run, since we appear to have no-one who is ready to roll the sleeves up and drive themselves (and the team) on to better things.

When Tav does not play we miss him. However, he has lost his ability to link up and assist to the same degree when Candeias was here.
We miss Candeias direct running and link up with Tavernier, there is no doubt about that.

I accept that he probably wouldn't fit the floating role Gerrard prefers to play

When you look at the best teams in recent years, I.e
Barca, Juve, Bayern, Liverpool, Man City, Ajax etc, none of them I'd say are renowned for having an inspirational captain. Certainly not one bollocking the squad. What they do have is a very capable squad who can maintain a prolonged period of wins.

We have a very vocal person in McGregor who is always having a go at his defense but it hasn't made a difference in recent weeks. We also have one of the most inspirational captains of our generation as manager but it doesn't seem to matter too much for now.

The team just need confidence and for me that will come when Gerrard loosens the shackles. We are far too rigid in this 4-3-3 formation and teams have figured out how to play us. If we actually start having a proper go at these SPL jobbers with a couple of strikers on the park then the results will come.

Ps Tav got the assist for Kamberi did he not?

Did Gough and Ferguson never make mistakes - did nobody around them?

This we need a leader is way over rated. Have yet to see a bollocking result in a goal.
We are bereft of leadership on and off (slouching in a chair) the park. It matters and matters alot. We all hate Brown but ffs we need half of what he has in that department. Tav is the worst captain I've seen and that till now was Craig Paterson. Trace wins hands down

Even before Christmas it was always Ryan Jack in my eyes. Clearly it wasn’t yesterday, but for most of the season he’s looked like the leader to me.

I’ll tell you one thing though, it sure as hell isnt James Tavernier and I think after 4 and a half years it’s about time some people finally wake up to that.

Always been Ryan Jack for me but as of late I’m not sure he’s up to it either.

Too simplistic, analysing should help identify and remove faults. It's necessary.
But, here's one for you, if there had been a Gough or a Butcher playing then perhaps Katic wouldn't have had such a stinker. Good leaders impart confidence in those around them.
Here one for you,if there had been a Gough or Butcher playing Katic would’ve been on the bench.
Anyway the point the OP made was he would have been told his failings,no amount of being told off would have stopped him making those errors,he had a nightmare.

When the heads went down Hagi stepped up, papped in a cracking goal, and told his team and 49000 Rangers fans to get fuckin up for it.
He then dismissed the captain and hit the free kick.
He has done the same for his country as captain at under 21 level.
There's a leader right there.

After the first goal Jack moaned at Katic then stood tearing strips off Goldson for standing with his finger up his arse instead of covering his CH partner.

I'd be tempted to get Ross McCrorie and Greg Docherty back in that engine room next season, perhaps with a more creative type player that can be allowed to do less of the 'hard elbow grease' work.

Talking of potential on field leaders.

A full house!

All we need now is...

Bring McCrorie and Docherty back as they run about a lot

I think Tav is a great player and more of a leader than some credit him for.

But... playing devil's advocate, if something isn't working, you don't just keep repeating the same thing and expect different results. Maybe it is time to move him on and look for someone different. Especially as our system seems to rely so much on his abilities going forward.

I think Tav is a great player and more of a leader than some credit him for.

But... playing devil's advocate, if something isn't working, you don't just keep repeating the same thing and expect different results. Maybe it is time to move him on and look for someone different. Especially as our system seems to rely so much on his abilities going forward.
Seen as Jones cant get in the squad and Gerrard cant decide if Aribo, Arfield or Hagi should play there were now in 'Polster right back, Tavernier right wing' territory.

Last edited:
A full house!

All we need now is...

You can tick the experienced help off the list I noticed a guy wanting Smith to come in and help Stevie G.

Because they have played nearly 50 games and others have been playing with injury or rushed back from injury too soon. Others missed 4 or 5 weeks of football in the middle of the season.

We consistently use the same 16 or so players. We dont have enough quality outwith them to give folk a decent rest, and to keep standards and performances high.

Because they have played nearly 50 games and others have been playing with injury or rushed back from injury too soon. Others missed 4 or 5 weeks of football in the middle of the season.

We consistently use the same 16 or so players. We dont have enough quality outwith them to give folk a decent rest, and to keep standards and performances high.
Lots of reasons.

Too many players seem out of sorts

Tav, for me, has never been Rangers captain material. And I feel bad saying that as he's put in some heroic performances. But the day he stood under Murty and said a draw was acceptable was the day the armband should have been taken off him. We need someone who will grab the game (and players if need be) by the scruff of the neck and change it;s direction.

It’s been almost poor results every league game since 2020 started, how does your bingo game deal with that?

Fud.
well tav shouting more isn’t going to be the answer to alfie having lost his touch. It isn’t going to effect katic’s inability to stay in position/ deal with a bouncing ball calmly. It isn’t going to make space for the midfielders so the CBs can pass to them. Tav shouting isn’t going to change Gerrard’s mind about changing the formation or trying something new.

There are alot of reasons we have dropped points. Tav not shouting isn’t one of them.

Fanny.x

Last edited:
It’s hard to take when they lose a goal the heads drop,and nobody seems to take it on themselves to try and gee the guys up.

Back