Leadership on the park?

rayrangers

There is none, Tav does not have it, Ryan jack either
When we went to the finals of the UEFA cup and won 9 in a row we had multiple Captains who could lift the team and drive us on

Stevie G was inspirational as a Captain and leader of the team at Liverpool so don’t get why he persevered with the Tav project

When we went to the finals of the UEFA cup and won 9 in a row we had multiple Captains who could lift the team and drive us on

Stevie G was inspirational as a Captain and leader of the team at Liverpool so don’t get why he persevered with the Tav project
Your spot on been saying the same for a while.

I think it's because Gerrard has been going for a happy camp. Unfortunately, with these players that means them being in their comfort zone takes precedence over doing what's required to win awkward games.
If he persists, it'll cost him his job, Sorry, "they'll" cost him his job.

Said it in another thread when was the last time you saw a player try and Gee up the rest of the team and get the troops going, All our players seem too passive

I'd like to see much more leadership from the following players:

* Morelos (capable of getting people going from his gestures and intensity alone)
* Davis (in particular)
* Jack (in particular)
* Arfield (in particular)
* Hagi (loved his remonstrations after scoring against Braga this week by the way)
* Goldson

These are players who I feel should be taking on more leadership responsibility on the pitch to get others fired up. In particular, I like to see leadership from Midfield, as I feel that is the most important area on the pitch in modern football.

McGregor's leadership qualities are great, but there is only so much inspiration that can be drawn during matches from back there.

Last edited:
We rested an international captain with 120 caps in the last 2 away games. 1 point from 6.

There is logic with the games coming thick and fast but we probably are not good enough to afford that luxury.

We are missing a leader , someone in midfield who can drive the team on , does not need to be the greatest player in the world , just a hard ******* full of passion
Tav is a good player , but not a Rangers captain

I'd like to see much more leadership from the following players:

* Morelos (capable of getting people going from his gestures and intensity alone)
* Davis (in particular)
* Jack (in particular)
* Hagi (loved his remonstrations after scoring against Braga this week by the way)
* Goldson

These are players who I feel should be taking on more leadership responsibility on the pitch to get others fired up. In particular, I like to see leadership from Midfield, as I feel that is the most important area on the pitch in modern football.

McGregor's leadership qualities are great, but there is only so much inspiration that can be drawn during matches from back there.

agree with most of your list but Hagi? He is a young boy getting used to Scottish football

agree with most of your list but Hagi? He is a young boy getting used to Scottish football
I take your point here.

My view is that he's a talented young lad, confident, and is not scared to show some passion to get the crowd and players going, as he showed on Thursday.

The other players I listed could all be doing a lot more in terms of leadership though in my opinion.

Said it before on another thread, leadership comes from the top and thats Gerrard and
McAllister, can't see that dressing room being like the 90s Archie and Walter, doesn't matter who
Is captain on the park, there should be 11 players taking responsibility and unfortunately that's not what we have right now

McGregor or Arfield are the most vocal and animated and young Hagi showed good leadership qualities on thursday night.

Jack and Tav were absolutely roasting the rest today after both goals - Jack was visibly going right after Goldson as the ball was being spotted after the first goal and Tav was doing the same after their second

Zero leadership on the park,nothing a sinking ship and no one to grab us and swim again, pathetic.

The problem is that we've got too many players that have won nothing. We need to get players in with the right mentality that can grab a game and their team mates by the scruff of the neck

Major alarm bells today for me when Gerrard stated in his post match interview “he wanted to give certain players a chance to play through it, stated if he made a sub too early it could ruin a players confidence” that’s a weak manager, you have a problem you deal with it. Katic should have been subbed after 15 mins.

yep, something we are lacking big time is leaders and winners, as been said many times on this forum we seem to be just too nice a team, crying out for a barry ferguson type, we also need a proper midfield ball winner

I agree, have no faith in relying on the team to work out solutions. Goldson, Tav and Halliday should all have been trying to help and encourage Katic through his horror show today but I saw no signs of that whatsoever.

I've been banging on about this since Tav was made captain. Of course the FF brigade told me I was talking shite

As have I mate. Said last season that as long as Tav is Captain I couldn’t see us winning anything and got told that the modern day captains role is different and that he leads by example etc etc.

He has done nothing all season and the attacking threat he brought to the team has been missing for many many months.

Gerrards mistakes are there for all to see but giving Tav the captaincy is the biggest for me.

And the apparent best CB at the club gets off far to easy on here as well. Ye against Braga he made a fantastic last ditch tackle but whilst we were behind he passed the ball straight to a Braga player and we were fortunate not to concede.

Whilst Katic was horrendous today as well, he is seen as a project player and one for the future. Goldson is clearly the mainstay in the centre of defence and should be doing far more in leading and organising it.

Don’t think Jack is a captain either tbh. Been hyped up many a time on here this season but he’s a very average midfielder.

I understand Gerrard and his comments about leaders on the park. However, I think we need one clear leader who can take the game by the scruff of its neck and drive the team forward. A true Rangers captain.

I don’t decry Tav as a captain, he’s been a decent captain. But he needs to be on the park holding players to account. Not sure he has that.

Back