League cup final 1987

Bear1873

Sitting watching old finals came across this. The commentators are actually cheering when they sheep shagging bastards scored their 2nd and 3rd goals.

I know we say today's commentary is bad but at least they hide their delight at teams scoring by not cheering.

Sitting watching old finals came across this. The commentators are actually cheering when they sheep shagging bastards scored their 2nd and 3rd goals.

I know we say today's commentary is bad but at least they hide their delight at teams scoring by not cheering.
Noticed this when I watched it a few nights ago, Sounded like that tramp jock brown.

Jock brown is nothing but a wanker. Makes all sorts of excuses when someone boots a Rangers player. When the shoe is on the other foot it's a terrible challenge

A few memories of that Cup final.

Ian Durrant was the most dynamic exciting young midfielder in Britain at that time. Magnificent that day.
His goal gets overshadowed by the Cooper free kick but it was a thing of beauty and arguably every bit as special.
The Trevor Francis penalty is the one most remember with the 2 step run up, but Davie Cooper took the best penalty shoot out spot kick I have ever seen.

One of my favourite moments from that final is when Peter Nicholas hits the bar with his pen (we all wanted Bett to be the one to miss but never mind), entire Bears end are giving it “ole, ole, ole” (next line omitted for fear of the offended bus arriving)

Coop had a grudge against those Hampden nets that day! Kept trying to burst them. Leighton did well to get out of the way of that free kick. Durrant’s goal was sublime and his penalty (he was still a few days short of his 21st birthday, ffs!) was coolness personified.

Edit - and I always disliked Ian st John. He was shipped up to Glasgow for big games but had zero knowledge of the game in Scotland. Twat.

Ian Durrant was the most dynamic exciting young midfielder in Britain at that time. Magnificent that day.
His goal gets overshadowed by the Cooper free kick but it was a thing of beauty and arguably every bit as special.
The Trevor Francis penalty is the one most remember with the 2 step run up, but Davie Cooper took the best penalty shoot out spot kick I have ever seen.

Loved reminding myself of that amazing day.

As you say DH Ian Durrant was just sensational that day & this clip shows just how special he was. Pace, aggression, energy, splitting defences at will, and also making great runs behind them, as you refer to for his goal.

What a tragedy that injury was because he was going to the very top of world football in my opinion.

Loved reminding myself of that amazing day.

As you say DH Ian Durrant was just sensational that day & this clip shows just how special he was. Pace, aggression, energy, splitting defences at will, and also making great runs behind them, as you refer to for his goal.

What a tragedy that injury was because he was going to the very top of world football in my opinion.

Wouldve been on of Scotland’s greatest ever players.

Coop had a grudge against those Hampden nets that day! Kept trying to burst them. Leighton did well to get out of the way of that free kick. Durrant’s goal was sublime and his penalty (he was still a few days short of his 21st birthday, ffs!) was coolness personified.

Edit - and I always disliked Ian st John. He was shipped up to Glasgow for big games but had zero knowledge of the game in Scotland. Twat.

I'm sure Cooper said that Leighton said to him after the game 'I nearly got to that'.

And Cooper replied 'Aye, on the way back out'

Played just after the infamous 2-2 filth game at Ibrox, so no Woods or Butcher. Souness out too. What a cracking game that was. Durrant was just magnificent that day. You almost forget how young he was when he was so badly assaulted by that bstrd. He had a long and very, very successful career at Rangers and we all loved him. Brilliant player for us. However there's no way he'd still have been a Rangers player by the turn of the 90s. He was destined for far ,far greater heights than Scottish football. He would have had his pick of the best and biggest teams in Europe if he hadn't been so badly injured. I've always believed that.

Ian St John turned into a bit of a Rangers hater in latter years, he had a column in the Sunday Post and would have digs at us all the time. I mind him slaughtering us for having the ‘Orange top’ he said it was to pander to the bigots in our support, Catholic players have been tolerated at Ibrox but never accepted, this at a time when we had Amoruso and Albertz in the side.

Last edited:
2 questions

1- why was Souness not playing
2- is Fleck offside for the equaliser

some size of Rangers support there that day

Better than Nachos ;) :)):confused:

One of my favorite games i attended. We had a superb run in that competition in the 80s.

I think we were all bricking it when Trevor Francis stepped back to take it.

We can all live to be 100 and you will not see a Rangers goal struck with that much power than Cooper’s free kick

I was living down south at the time and my Aunty sent me the whole final on a VHS tape a few days later...it got played to death!

A great final.

9yr old at the time nd remember dancing about the front room with my now long gone grannie when we won. Grandpa sitting stoical as ever with a tear in his eye. Good memories

Back