League Cup Final victories against Celtic. Part 1, 1970 and 1975.

dh1963

I've enjoyed a fair number of League Cup Final wins over the enemy in my time, in the run up to Sunday I'm intending to post wee videos from some of those great days. First, here are the first 2 I remember.

1970, the day 16 year old Derek Johnstone ended a trophy drought and became a legend. I wasn't there, but well remember the party in our house that night. Ronnie McKinnon was captain as John Greig injured.

1975, the first leg of my first Rangers treble. Tom Forsyth was immense in man marking Dalglish out the game, and the only goal scored by one of my favourite ever Rangers.

Enjoy!

I've enjoyed a fair number of League Cup Final wins over the enemy in my time, in the run up to Sunday I'm intending to post wee videos from some of those great days. First, here are the first 2 I remember.

1970, the day 16 year old Derek Johnstone ended a trophy drought and became a legend. I wasn't there, but well remember the party in our house that night. Ronnie McKinnon was captain as John Greig injured.

1975, the first leg of my first Rangers treble. Tom Forsyth was immense in man marking Dalglish out the game, and the only goal scored by one of my favourite ever Rangers.

Enjoy!
1975 was my 1st League cup final, Sunday will be my 25th.
20 Rangers wins and only 3 defeats.
Plus also attended Aberdeen win in 1976/77 v them.(Rangers end).

I was at both those games. Pretty sure the '75 game was an early kick off for some reason, can't remember what though. Back of my mind says it was to try and cut down hooliganism but could be wrong.

I was at both those games. Pretty sure the '75 game was an early kick off for some reason, can't remember what though. Back of my mind says it was to try and cut down hooliganism but could be wrong.

The games against them kicked off at 1pm for a while, also think it was to reduce time in the pub beforehand.

1975 and 1978 v Celtic were both 1pm kick offs.
1982 defeat was a 3pm start.

1975 was my 1st League cup final, Sunday will be my 25th.
20 Rangers wins and only 3 defeats.
Plus also attended Aberdeen win in 1976/77 v them.(Rangers end).

3 defeats in 23 finals, what a record that is.

1975 My 1st Old Firm game without going with my Dad or my older brothers did get grounded for 2 weeks for telling my Dad i wasn't going as they told me, always remember him saying your lucky we won or you would have been grounded for a month

1970 is probably the first game v them I remember. Not so much the match itself as I was only 6. It's going into school on the Monday I recall more and DJ being the talk of the playground and us all trying to score with a header like his. None of us ever did :))

My favourite League Cup Final v them was 1990/91 I think so I'm looking forward to that one especially. But any win over the filth is VERY enjoyable!

Things could only get better mate o_O

I always say the 1957 final was postponed and never happened. I find it helps!
I’ve tried that,but it always comes back and haunts me.:confused:
Win this one and i
Things could only get better mate o_O

I always say the 1957 final was postponed and never happened. I find it helps!
. Hopefully a win at the weekend,cures the memories.;)

Reactions: ao2
My first game v the mentally challengeds was the 1964 LCF which to be honest I dont remember much about. I do remember going back with my Gramps to the St Enoch hotel to see the team parade the cup. The 65 LCF I missed but apparently it wasn't much of a game with Rangers conceding two first half penalties which were converted by John Hughes. 66 LCF was dominated by Rangers but we couldnt find the net. I was in tears at the final whistle.

Enjoy!
Was at the 1975 game seem to remember the crowday wasn't as high as usual was it maybe on TV then

My first LCF I attended against the filth was 2011. Praying for the same outcome. Can remember Weiss ball to Jelavic clearly. Not bad considering I was pissed as a sailor!

just do it Rangers.

Just noticed in the 1975 final Stein, Parlane and Derek Johnstone all started
in the forward line. Numbers 8, 9 and 10 respectively...

Crowd was given as 58,000. It wasn't on TV. The early kick off plus crowds in general started
dropping off round this period. See 1973 Scottish Cup final crowd compared to 1977.
1977 crowd was nearly 70 thousand less than 73.
Live TV ,bad weather and a reduced capacity also was a factor that day.
1973 was the last of the great crowds and you are correct attendances did drop around the mid seventies.

Enjoy!

I’ve still got my late Dad’s ticket stub for the Rangers end and his match programme for the 1970 LC final.

An absolutely treasured possession.

I was born on the 1975 cup final day, Got the original match day program for my birthday years ago from my mum & dad , soon as i seen it i spent the rest of the night reading it . Absolutely best birthday present that year . Wife no happy but not surprised her bottle of Creed Aventus and Moschino top were left in the prezzy bag while i read this. Stars are aligning bear's.

Back