League Cup Final wins over Celtic. Part 2, 1984 and 1986

dh1963

After 3 wins in the Final against them in 1970, 75 and 78 our run of victories ended in 1982 when they narrowly beat us.
Normal service resumed 2 years later in a classic.

Rangers back under the leadership of the great Jock Wallace had the Battle Fever on. Despite key players missing, a hat trick from Ally McCoist meant the trophy had red, white and blue ribbons again. Timmy must have known what was coming as they couldn't sell their tickets.

2 and a half years later, and our next win over them came after the Wallace era ended badly and the club had turned to Graeme Souness to bring back the glory years. This was a game that really did feel like the beginning of something huge.
The one thing both games had in common was our winning goals were both penalties given away by the brainless Roy Aitken.

Two great days, among my favourite finals in the many I've been to.

The self proclaimed greatest supporters in the world set an old firm cup final record for tickets not sold for the 84 game . McCoist hat trick and another assist from McCloy for the second done for them . Scums tactics in 86 were to each take a shot at kicking fuvk out of Davie Cooper , it didn't work .

The self proclaimed greatest supporters in the world set an old firm cup final record for tickets not sold for the 84 game . McCoist hat trick and another assist from McCloy for the second done for them . Scums tactics in 86 were to each take a shot at kicking fuvk out of Davie Cooper , it didn't work .
Why was their end so empty

Why was their end so empty

Attendances then weren't great, quite simply they couldn't sell out half of Hampden with it live on TV.
Unlike 2 years later, the arrival of Souness got fans of more than Rangers coming back to see us.
I think Hampden held about 75,000 then, a huge decrease from 10 to 15 years earlier.

84 first time I had seen us win a cup final at hampden and apart from a 1-0 win in the Glasgow cup final it was the first time I had seen up beat them

That 86 final was something else. The speed and passion from both teams was ferocious. What a midfield we had that day.

74,219 crowd. That's what we should have this week-end!

Back