League medals for season 2020/21 Who is currently falling short.

Gio#56

I believe to qualify for a league medal from the SPFL you need to have played in 25% of the games. That means its between 9 and 10 games. Not sure what way its rounded up to.

So definites are

Goldson, Tavernier, Barisic, Davis, Hagi, Kent, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Itten, Morelos, McGregor, Jac, Helander, Roofe, Balogun, Zungu, Barker, Defoe

Jon McLaughlan has 9 appearances
Calvin Bassey has 7 appearances
Scott Wright has 3 appearances
Nathan Patterson has 2 appearances

With 8 games to go.

Last edited:
McLaughlan will.
Bassey will if he doesn't face any bans from the SFA.
I think wright will at least come off the bench from every game between now and the end of the season, so expect him to get one if he doesn't pick up any injuries.
Patterson wont.

I believe to qualify for a league medal from the SPFL you need to have played in 25% of the games. That means its between 9 and 10 games. Not sure what way its rounded up to.

So definites are

Goldson, Tavernier, Barisic, Davis, Hagi, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Itten, Morelos, McGregor, Jac, Helander, Roofe, Balogun, Zungu, Barker, Defoe

With 8 games to go.
Didn't it change recently that 25 medals would be given to the club who would then decide who gets one?
This has come up loads of times now. They need 10 appearances. EDIT: They need to have 'participated in' 25% of matches. No definition of 'participated in' is given, though we all tend to assume it refers to appearances.

The SPFL present 25 medals for players AND staff. The Club can purchase additional medals if they choose. However, medals may only be presented to those players who meet the 25%/10 games criteria. I think its in the SPFL Rules, Rule C39 from memory.

McLaughlin will make it. Scott Wright might make it. Bassey and Patterson probably won't make it if they are cited.

C39 The Company shall present to the Champion Club of the League 25 League Championship Medals for Players, other staff and Officials. Additional League Championship Medals may be purchased from the Company with the prior consent of the Board. Only those Players who participated in 25% or more of the League Matches for the Champion Club in the relevant Season will be eligible to receive such medals.

Last edited:
Patterson and Bassey will struggle with big bans coming up. But Bassey might still get there. I think even if he didn’t have a ban Patterson isn’t making 10 games anyway

McLaughlin will definitely make it and I would expect wright to come off the bench every game till the end of the season and he may even start a few once the leagues wrapped up.

Personally, I think it a stupid rule in an age when it is a squad game now. The Champions League offers a straight forward forty medals for players and staff to cover this.
40 medals in the EPL as well - for combined players and staff - but with a stipulation of all players having made 5 appearances get a medal. They don't allow the purchase of additional medals unless you have more than 39 players who meet the 5 games criteria.

Not sure I agree with giving one to everyone in the 'squad'. You then need a definition of 'squad'. Plenty youngsters have trained with the First Team squad, and been given lockers with the First Team squad, but are nowhere near an appearance. Do you give them a medal? Not for me, as it I feel it devalues the medal. I'm not sure most of them would feel they deserve it either. I think you have to put a minimum number of appearances in the criteria - as in taking to the pitch.

Last edited:
40 medals in the EPL as well - for combined players and staff - but with a stipulation of players having made 5 appearances. They don't allow the purchase of additional medals unless you have more than 39 players who meet the 5 games criteria.

Not sure I agree with giving one to everyone in the 'squad'. You then need a definition of 'squad'. Plenty youngsters have trained with the First Team squad, and been given lockers with the First Team squad, but are nowhere near an appearance. Do you give them a medal? Not for me, as it I feel it devalues the medal. I'm not sure most of them would feel they deserve it either. I think you have to put a minimum number of appearances in the criteria - as in taking to the pitch.

Maybe I am too generous, but I think that if you make a single appearance then you have contributed to the squad that has won the title.

Maybe I am too generous, but I think that if you make a single appearance then you have contributed to the squad that has won the title.
Its a contentious one. If you make a 2 minute subs appearance in a 3420 minute League season how much have you actually 'contributed'? Of course, that subs appearance could see you score a winning goal. On the other hand it might be the only 2 minutes you ever play for the club. You'd be delighted with the medal - but would you feel you'd 'earned' it?

Either way, the Rules are there. I've posted it above. If the clubs felt strongly about it then its within their gift to change it. The lack of any discussion regarding changes - that we are aware of - suggests they consider it fine. Personally I think the EPL 5 game criteria is more appropriate.

Its a contentious one. If you make a 2 minute subs appearance in a 3420 minute League season how much have you actually 'contributed'? Of course, that subs appearance could see you score a winning goal. On the other hand it might be the only 2 minutes you ever play for the club. You'd be delighted with the medal - but would you feel you'd 'earned' it?

Either way, the Rules are there. I've posted it above. If the clubs felt strongly about it then its within their gift to change it. The lack of any discussion regarding changes that we are aware of suggests they consider it fine.

Fully understand and I am sympathetic to your argument. Perhaps a 'registered' squad would be the easy answer to this.

It's basically Rangers who set the criteria and give the medals out, we can ask for more to be commissioned at our cost but it needs approval.

One of us is reading it wrong because going with Dingwalls post above, it is only the additional medals that need to make the 25% criteria. It's the wording of it 'Players, other staff and Officials' That makes me think Beale, Culshaw, Gary McAllister, Milsom, Graeme Smith, Gerrard will all be entitled/deserving of one. So we're down to 19 right away, I think it's a loophole and as long as you get your admin correct nobody realistically will go without

I know this infuriates you VB so apologies for murkying the waters but I still think it's as clear as mud.

Fairly simple matter for the club to maje sure thay acquire enough medals for everyone who qualifies, paid for or otherwise.

Also when we are mathematically there the club can give game tine (even late substitution) to anyone who is able to reach the qualifying threshold.

IMO anyone who has contributed in any way to this title is good value for a medal.

I noted a post saying medals were for players and staff. Which staff are eligible and how do they qualify? Anybody know?

One of us is reading it wrong because going with Dingwalls post above, it is only the additional medals that need to make the 25% criteria. It's the wording of it 'Players, other staff and Officials' That makes me think Beale, Culshaw, Gary McAllister, Milsom, Graeme Smith, Gerrard will all be entitled/deserving of one. So we're down to 19 right away, I think it's a loophole and as long as you get your admin correct nobody realistically will go without

I know this infuriates you VB so apologies for murkying the waters but I still think it's as clear as mud.
Nah mate, I agree there are two ways to read it and you could interpret it as saying only the additional medals have the 25% criteria. However, to me there is just no logic to applying that criteria 'only' when a club asks for more medals. That would make no sense to me.

@mdingwall is - obviously - a man to be respected. He's not always correct though.;) Maybe he or @David Edgar could ask - once we've formally wrapped up the title of course.

Making clubs pay for extra medals is just so SPFL isn’t it? Absolute tin pot mentality.

Personally I’d give a medal to every first team squad player.

Making clubs pay for extra medals is just so SPFL isn’t it? Absolute tin pot mentality.

Personally I’d give a medal to every first team squad player.
Same as the EPL you mean? Albeit they start from a higher threshold for the number of medals and still have a criteria that 5 appearances gets you a medal. Post #16. What's your definition of 'squad'? Trained with? Made the bench?

Last edited:
In 1981 Aston Villa won the league using only 14 players season, including sub appearances. Wonder what they did with the spare medals

I doubt Brandon Barker played in 10 games, but he contributed at an important time in the season and started the win at Parkhead.

I doubt Brandon Barker played in 10 games, but he contributed at an important time in the season and started the win at Parkhead.
Think he has made 10 actually, quite a few sub appearances.

Would imagine Firth, Stewart and Patterson are the only first team squad members who won't get one. Bassey should get 3 more games, Wright should get 7 from 8 if he stays fit, and McLaughlin will play a couple at the end of the season.

My question for those who know (@Valley Bluenose perhaps) is what happens for your backup keeper if they don't meet the criteria. I have it in my head you can get a medal for the 2nd choice keeper regardless of minutes played. Won't apply to McLaughlin anyway but would be good to know.

Would imagine Firth, Stewart and Patterson are the only first team squad members who won't get one. Bassey should get 3 more games, Wright should get 7 from 8 if he stays fit, and McLaughlin will play a couple at the end of the season.

My question for those who know (@Valley Bluenose perhaps) is what happens for your backup keeper if they don't meet the criteria. I have it in my head you can get a medal for the 2nd choice keeper regardless of minutes played. Won't apply to McLaughlin anyway but would be good to know.
Why would it be any different for the back up keeper?

Why would it be any different for the back up keeper?
Backup keeper essentially has no chance to make the required appearances unless the first choice keeper is injured, given they aren't likely to be making sub appearances.

It may be in England, but I'm sure that it used to be a rule when it came to medals.

Didn't McGregor get a league medal years ago without making an appearance? Think he was on the bench for every game while Klos played.

Or have I just made that up?:)

Wish I knew mate. There doesn't appear to be any reference to it in Rule C39 so I'd guess the same criteria applies as for an outfield player.

So definites are

Goldson, Tavernier, Barisic, Davis, Hagi, Kamara, Aribo, Arfield, Itten, Morelos, McGregor, Jac, Helander, Roofe, Balogun, Zungu, Barker, Defoe

With 8 games to go.

I thought the league just hands over a bunch of medals & the club distributes them to the players as they see fit.

So definites are

With 8 games to go.
Ryan Kent will be in there as well

Back