League reconstruction . Is the answer staring us in the face

Sometimes less is more though. Playing the scum four times a season dilutes the importance. Not to the fans obviously but to people that might watch it if it meant more. Imagine the atmosphere if it was one trip to Easter Road or Pittodrie per year? Fans would be absolutely buzzing for it coming up.
Yes but back to your original point I won't be buzzing to go to Arbroath Kirkcaldy Partick.

I'll always be in favour of top league of 20, 2nd league of 22. 3 up, 3 down. Pyramid system below.
Yeah we need a proper pyramid system rather than the half arsed one we have with one promotion play off place across divisions. Win a division you should go up, simple as that.

Ach eff it here's controversy for you.Totally against my principles but here goes.Top two in league grand final akin to world series.5 game play off.Some years ie last season you'd feel aggrieved but others maybe not.

And frankly I see no reason why we should. TV money I don’t mind splitting fairly, but not match day income. Us at home v say Ross County, even if you gave them the option of as many tickets as they wanted, they’d never bring more than a couple of thousand. So they’d bring absolute tops 4% of the attendees but get 50% of the gate money. Not for me ever.

When we play Ross County we watch two teams. Why shouldnt we pay both?

The point of sharing the cash is to make the games more exciting and less predictable. If Scottish football carries on like this there wont be many teams left to play. The whole thing is embarrassing.

For all the different ideas for league reconstruction I don’t believe I’ve heard this one mentioned . It even reduces the league games which in todays Calendar likely helps

12 team league
Play each other home and away - 22 games
Split at that point top 6 bottom 6
Play each other home and away again - 10 games
32 total

Means every team plays the exact same teams in battle of title/Europe/relegation . No 2 away games at Livingston then they finish bottom 6 so that lot don’t play them a 2nd time etc .
The split is a joke already.

When we play Ross County we watch two teams. Why shouldnt we pay both?

The point of sharing the cash is to make the games more exciting and less predictable. If Scottish football carries on like this there wont be many teams left to play. The whole thing is embarrassing.
Why should we? That’s a ludicrous argument. Do Ross County for example contribute to half my enjoyment of being there? There’s no professional team sport or league in the world where the teams who have more cash don't generally dominate, often in part because they get bigger crowds and have more season ticket holders. That’s life. Should we expect half the gate money off Barcelona if 88000 of their fans turn up, and 10000 of ours? No chance. I’m sure their fans don’t care who they’re playing. They’re as much only there to watch Barcelona as our fans are there to watch Rangers. Share TV money by all means. That’s fair. I’d also allow teams to charge what they like to away fans. It’s then up to those away fans whether they want to go or not. So if St Mirren, Ross County, Livi or whoever want to try to milk our travelling fans or the filth’s that’s up to them to take the chance on us being prepared to pay the ticket price or not. Also if these clubs fans are that bothered about trying to close the gap they should spend more of their hard earned on actually going to games, buying merch and strips etc. That’s what we do. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen should be far better placed than they are financially but their fans are fair weather ones.

I would prefer a 18 team league with two relegation places. Not gonnae happen though, means tv money split 18 ways instead of 12 and there is too much self interest in scottish football.

Last edited:
always felt a 16 team top league is the way to go but we, and them, don't want to be losing out on two Celtic games.

It is shite all the same playing team 4 times in a season.

I remember playing Dunfermline under big Eck and played then 7 times that season. both cups and replay as well. I was at all of them and by the business end of the season I hated the sight of the place!

Reactions: ao2
No amount of restructuring will solve the problem of lack of competition. Our top league is embarrassing. Its one of the least competitive in the world and its all down to the way the money is distributed.
Partly, but the fact 3rd place teams will need to face old firm (established top teams) 8 times a season (24 points lost if lose as expected), compared to the 4 they would play in a 18 team top league (only 12 points dropped and big chance of upsets making that even less) means that undoubtedly we WOULD have a closer more competitive league. Hibs, hearts, Dundee utd, killie - teams who SHOULD be the best of the rest competing against us have also been relagated within the last 20 years. We managed some years without ANY top flight teams from Edinburgh which is frnakly madness! A bigger team with less imminent risk of relegation if you try something new? Might see them build something credible over time able to compete better domestically and in Europe. Might not, but it certainly wouldn't hurt!

Why should we? That’s a ludicrous argument. Do Ross County for example contribute to half my enjoyment of being there? There’s no professional team sport or league in the world where the teams who have more cash don't generally dominate, often in part because they get bigger crowds and have more season ticket holders. That’s life. Should we expect half the gate money off Barcelona if 88000 of their fans turn up, and 10000 of ours? No chance. I’m sure their fans don’t care who they’re playing. They’re as much only there to watch Barcelona as our fans are there to watch Rangers. Share TV money by all means. That’s fair. I’d also allow teams to charge what they like to away fans. It’s then up to those away fans whether they want to go or not. So if St Mirren, Ross County, Livi or whoever want to try to milk our travelling fans or the filth’s that’s up to them to take the chance on us being prepared to pay the ticket price or not. Also if these clubs fans are that bothered about trying to close the gap they should spend more of their hard earned on actually going to games, buying merch and strips etc. That’s what we do. Hearts, Hibs and Aberdeen should be far better placed than they are financially but their fans are fair weather ones.

"Fairweather fans"? Problem for them is the weather is never fair. Its always shite and they, like us, dont like losing.

The point of sharing is to make the games more enjoyable because it would lead to more competition, more excitement and less boring predictability.

I enjoyed watching us take 6 of Motherwell but it soon becomes tiresome if it happens every week. Its counterproductive and will only lead to an inevitable outcome.

We now face Lyon in a meaningless game. Some are saying we should send out a weakened team just like Bayer Leverkeusen did against Celtic. What's the point in that? The game is becoming less attractive and a waste of time.

We need a radical rethink and that includes putting a stop to rich clubs buying success.

Of course it matters. Years ago gate receipts were shared. Just because its mainly ST now doesnt mean we couldnt go back to the original method. We could also share other sources of income including european money, sponsorship cash etc etc. Of course we'd need a proper transition period and have to make allowances for overheads but there's no other way to make our league competitive.

In addition we'd need to introduce a sustainable and affordable salary scale for all players. This is NOT a salary cap. Its a salary scale enabling the "diddy" clubs to keep their best players and helping them build young exciting competitive teams.

Sport isnt worth watching without competition and our league is virtually competition free.

I cant be bothered explaining further.
I’m sharing nothing,I pay to watch Rangers and help them bring in as much talent as they can to entertain me,Not bankroll other clubs who can’t hide their hatred for us.

Just make it 20 teams and play them all twice.

Or better still let's push for English Premier League status and leave Timothy to rot

I honestly don't see any kind of reorganisation that will improve the Scottish game other than some sort of rejig to incorporate a UK league.
While the sheep, hertz and hivs all bitch about the present set-up favouring us and the paedo club, there is no way they want to risk losing out on two home games against us a season, which greatly limits the permutations available.
We should seek to get out of this league, with or without the paedos, and the above named clubs, and take our chances in throwing in our lot with the English set-up.
Of course there is no doubt that a certain level of English clubs will be against it as it would damage their position at the trough but it would have to be done with the full cooperation and insistence of the TV companies.

• Combine League Football with a Cup Football twist.

• 14 team League.

• 13 x 3 = 39 games.

• 1 home and 1 away match.

• The 3rd match based on previous 2 games, i.e. whoever comes out on top over the 2 matches earns the 3rd match at home.
Example: Aberdeen 1 v Rangers 2
Aberdeen need to win to earn the 3rd game at Pittodrie. They win 1-0. Goes to penalties and winner gets the home game. This would make EVERY SINGLE SPFL match in the whole League Fixtures meaningful instead of sitting watching real drab stuff too often.

• Have an SPFL fund to help those Clubs losing out on the lost revenue similar to EFL payments. Yes there is not much money at present in Scotland but if we can get shot of the muppets running the game up here then i'm sure a Bisgrove proper type guy would rake it in.

This would IMHO make Clubs play more, making it more exciting for us fans.

Top league of 14, home and away gives 26 fixtures. Split into top 6/bottom 8.
Home and away again gives 36 fixtures/40 fixtures. We have to eliminate the potential 3 home or 3 away v a club in same division.

I’m sharing nothing,I pay to watch Rangers and help them bring in as much talent as they can to entertain me,Not bankroll other clubs who can’t hide their hatred for us.

Serious question. Do you enjoy watching us play dross on plastic pitches in medieval grounds?

I honestly don't see any kind of reorganisation that will improve the Scottish game other than some sort of rejig to incorporate a UK league.
While the sheep, hertz and hivs all bitch about the present set-up favouring us and the paedo club, there is no way they want to risk losing out on two home games against us a season, which greatly limits the permutations available.
We should seek to get out of this league, with or without the paedos, and the above named clubs, and take our chances in throwing in our lot with the English set-up.
Of course there is no doubt that a certain level of English clubs will be against it as it would damage their position at the trough but it would have to be done with the full cooperation and insistence of the TV companies.

They might let us join IF the top clubs are allowed to leave. Like us they want to play against better opposition so why should they hang around when others dont?

Serious question. Do you enjoy watching us play dross on plastic pitches in medieval grounds?
A problem created by the great and good of Scottish authorities,I have no intention of paying to get them out the shit,
Do you think the EPL would share their T.V. cash for us I doubt it they just want take any talent that might come through for peanuts,Scottish football has hated itself to death.

I’m very much in the camp where I think expanding the league is a better way of improving things rather than trying to condense the talent. I thought our league was really stale when it was just 10 teams playing each other 4 times a year. This split whilst flawed creates a wee bit of drama but I’d be much more in favour of an 18 team league with expansion somehow of the cups to help add in the missing games.

The only way the smaller teams get better is with better competition and with that more gate money. I’d also try to ensure that there is as many traditional derbies within the top league as we can get having teams with the traditional larger supporters base involved.

I know the need from the TV companies for 4 OF games seems to draw us back but if there were only 2 times a year excluding any cup games imagine the excitement of them when they do happen? Could also have a OF pre season curtain raiser which could be taken abroad if there was a need or sponsorship opportunities. Have a game in North America or Australia make it a big deal so tv company would only lose one OF game a year.

A problem created by the great and good of Scottish authorities,I have no intention of paying to get them out the shit,
Do you think the EPL would share their T.V. cash for us I doubt it they just want take any talent that might come through for peanuts,Scottish football has hated itself to death.

The game here is dying and no amount of restructuring can fix it. Its lacks competition and sport isnt worth watching without it.

There is a solution but those with their snouts in the trough dont want it and those that pay for it cant see it.

Put the lights out when you're finished.

The big change I would make is turning League 1 & 2 into North/South leagues. Dumbarton playing Peterhead in the lower leagues is insane to me.
It’s madness the travelling involved in Scotland for the lower league part time teams. I’m amazed how it’s survived so long. Teams down south of Scotland like Stranraer, Annan etc having to travel way up to Peterhead, Arbroath and so on. Mental

The Irish league teams over here complain at times with having to travel to the likes of warrenpoint or Ballinmallard but your never more that 2 hours away from one end of the country to the other over here.

The game here is dying and no amount of restructuring can fix it. Its lacks competition and sport isnt worth watching without it.

There is a solution but those with their snouts in the trough dont want it and those that pay for it cant see it.

Put the lights out when you're finished.
Can’t disagree,The game in Scotland is dying.

I’m very much in the camp where I think expanding the league is a better way of improving things rather than trying to condense the talent. I thought our league was really stale when it was just 10 teams playing each other 4 times a year. This split whilst flawed creates a wee bit of drama but I’d be much more in favour of an 18 team league with expansion somehow of the cups to help add in the missing games.

The only way the smaller teams get better is with better competition and with that more gate money. I’d also try to ensure that there is as many traditional derbies within the top league as we can get having teams with the traditional larger supporters base involved.

I know the need from the TV companies for 4 OF games seems to draw us back but if there were only 2 times a year excluding any cup games imagine the excitement of them when they do happen? Could also have a OF pre season curtain raiser which could be taken abroad if there was a need or sponsorship opportunities. Have a game in North America or Australia make it a big deal so tv company would only lose one OF game a year.

I’d rather play the likes of Aberdeen, hibs, hearts and dundee utd more times a season than playing the likes of Ross county or Livingston to be honest! At least with the likes of the edingburgh teams and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd there’s a bit of a buzz and atmosphere there. Livingston has about 10 fans and the same with the rest of the Pish teams. It’s harder to get a buzz and motivated for them type of games

The easiest and best thing Scottish Football could do is to move to summer football. It would give us all an advantage at the money/business end of European football where gaining access to these pots of gold have become a must! This then in turn filters down throughout the leagues both in player development and in transfer fees throughout the leagues.

Why we don’t do this is beyond my thinking, it can’t be for the international team as the majority don’t play in Scotland and that’s been the case for a while and the clubs aren’t interested in the international team, we also don’t compete with alternative summer sports in Scotland like in England with Cricket.

The easiest and best thing Scottish Football could do is to move to summer football. It would give us all an advantage at the money/business end of European football where gaining access to these pots of gold have become a must! This then in turn filters down throughout the leagues both in player development and in transfer fees throughout the leagues.

Why we don’t do this is beyond my thinking, it can’t be for the international team as the majority don’t play in Scotland and that’s been the case for a while and the clubs aren’t interested in the international team, we also don’t compete with alternative summer sports in Scotland like in England with Cricket.
Wouldn’t be a fan of summer football to be honest

Ultimately the way you grow support for the smaller teams is by making them more competitive, and end the OF duopoly.

In order to do so, I think the league needs to redistribute matchday ticket income. This in turn would significantly hamper our income and that's a major stumbling block.
This is the unpalatable truth.

I get why folk are against it but wealth redistribution is the only way to improve the game as a whole.

For all the different ideas for league reconstruction I don’t believe I’ve heard this one mentioned . It even reduces the league games which in todays Calendar likely helps

12 team league
Play each other home and away - 22 games
Split at that point top 6 bottom 6
Play each other home and away again - 10 games
32 total

Means every team plays the exact same teams in battle of title/Europe/relegation . No 2 away games at Livingston then they finish bottom 6 so that lot don’t play them a 2nd time etc .
We need governing bodies that aren’t self serving and have a massive association to one club. In fact we need governing bodies that aren’t running the game for sellik alone.

I'd go to 16 or 18 teams but as that's never going to happen the best alternative is 14. Play each other home and away = 26 games, then split and top and bottom 7 play each other home and away again giving 38 in total, same as at present . It cuts out the imbalance of playing some teams away more than at home and vice versa. But it still means 4 games against some teams and that breeds the staleness that is destroying Scottish football. It'll never change for the better.

always felt a 16 team top league is the way to go but we, and them, don't want to be losing out on two Celtic games.

It is shite all the same playing team 4 times in a season.

I remember playing Dunfermline under big Eck and played then 7 times that season. both cups and replay as well. I was at all of them and by the business end of the season I hated the sight of the place!

Back in the 80s I remember the scum and the sheep playing each other in the league 4 times then in both the League Cup and the Scottish Cup (which went to 3 games!). It was ridiculous and was it any wonder the games were terrible?!

18 team premier (2 down 1 playoff)
18 team championship (2 up 1 playoff and 2 down 1 playoff)
18 team league 1 (2 up 1 playoff and 2 down)
North, South, East and west leagues - realign the territories better (Round Robin with each winner - neutral venues - 2 up)

Reconstruction will never work sadly

anything that would be sacrifice money heading to the wee clubs would be binned

anything that would benefit the wee teams would in turn not benefit us

eg, player salary caps, share of the gate etc etc

because the other teams have no fans and are shit, no restructuring will change that.

the only thing that would work is if we could go back in time and only allow 30 scottish clubs to be founded, either that or we tell loads to shut B-D

I'm all for halfing the amount of teams in the Scottish League all together. We don't need so many sub par teams in general, take Hibs and Hearts for example, they merge together to form one super shitey Edinburgh club. Sell Easter Rd and flatten it to build new crack dens for the toothless spoon burning residents. They could then use the money to expand the capacity of Tynecastle. Something to think about anyway.

I’d rather play the likes of Aberdeen, hibs, hearts and dundee utd more times a season than playing the likes of Ross county or Livingston to be honest! At least with the likes of the edingburgh teams and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd there’s a bit of a buzz and atmosphere there. Livingston has about 10 fans and the same with the rest of the Pish teams. It’s harder to get a buzz and motivated for them type
I’d rather play the likes of Aberdeen, hibs, hearts and dundee utd more times a season than playing the likes of Ross county or Livingston to be honest! At least with the likes of the edingburgh teams and Aberdeen and Dundee Utd there’s a bit of a buzz and atmosphere there. Livingston has about 10 fans and the same with the rest of the Pish teams. It’s harder to get a buzz and motivated for them type of games
Mate if that’s your preference that’s all well and good.

I think we have become a bit too accustomed to going to these places that you forget there are other teams with decent grounds and fans. Just look back to when we were doing our tour of the grounds when we got demoted. Fans were loving going to places they hadn’t been before or for a while.

Personally I’d love to see a return to visiting places like Greenock, Dunfermline, Falkirk, Dumfries, Ayr etc In a bigger league these teams would improve because they would have more income and excitement about them

I’d certainly get rid of the daft plastic pitches as part of any revamp

That is why we need to share resources. It will enable the "diddy" teams to compete. Games against them will be more competitive, less predictable and more exciting. More fans will go to support them as everyone loves a winner.

I'm all for halfing the amount of teams in the Scottish League all together. We don't need so many sub par teams in general, take Hibs and Hearts for example, they merge together to form one super shitey Edinburgh club. Sell Easter Rd and flatten it to build new crack dens for the toothless spoon burning residents. They could then use the money to expand the capacity of Tynecastle. Something to think about anyway.

We could merge with Celtic and sell off Ibrox and the piggery. Build a new super stadium at Strathclyde Park and sell 100k STs then join the EPL and win the ECup.

Reconstruction will never work sadly

anything that would be sacrifice money heading to the wee clubs would be binned

anything that would benefit the wee teams would in turn not benefit us

eg, player salary caps, share of the gate etc etc

because the other teams have no fans and are shit, no restructuring will change that.

the only thing that would work is if we could go back in time and only allow 30 scottish clubs to be founded, either that or we tell loads to shut B-D

Where does the money in Scottish football go at present? Its wasted on crazy salaries for some while others get by on a pittance.

There's already hardly any money in Scottish football never mind reducing the number of league matches from 38 to 32. Clubs would lose a fortune through ticket revenue and the tv deal would also be reduced. It will obviously never happen.

If we reduce the income even further there will need to be redundancies. Im not talking about players. Im talking about luxury car salesmen and designer clothes outlets.

Back