League Stats before and after Gio

You can prove anything with facts...

I think everyone realises that the team had been mis-firing all season. Even in Europe we took a while to find our feet, but here at the end of the season I couldn't give a toss about the league thanks to the memories made with the Europa League run, final and then the SC win.

It was still an 8 point swing to Celtic and unfortunately things like McGregor's individual errors and injuries contributed to that, not to mention Celtic's run they put together. We badly need another striker and probably a system which allows us to play two of them in many league games to take advantage of the possession and chances we get.

I'm sure Gio has learned a lot already and its not going to be as easy as I think it is to come in midway through a season and make massive changes, so I'm much more optimistic about next season given how we've finished this one.

It’s all ifs and buts. The end of the day Celtic put together a fantastic run of wins that would win the league most seasons. We never kicked off this season and I don’t know if some players had been promised moves they didn’t get or if the manager was annoyed at a lack of funds but we never looked like retaining the title this year. I doubt Gerrard would have oversaw that 3-0 game but then I don’t think he’d have got us out the groups, and we would probably have finished even further off the pace. After the bad run after the break we got some great form despite our injury problems.

You can prove anything with facts...

I think everyone realises that the team had been mis-firing all season. Even in Europe we took a while to find our feet, but here at the end of the season I couldn't give a toss about the league thanks to the memories made with the Europa League run, final and then the SC win.

It was still an 8 point swing to Celtic and unfortunately things like McGregor's individual errors and injuries contributed to that, not to mention Celtic's run they put together. We badly need another striker and probably a system which allows us to play two of them in many league games to take advantage of the possession and chances we get.

I'm sure Gio has learned a lot already and its not going to be as easy as I think it is to come in midway through a season and make massive changes, so I'm much more optimistic about next season given how we've finished this one.
I just hope he has learned to stop giving the other SPFL clubs too much respect and go at them from the first minute. That’s what Celtic have done and normally have the game out of sight by halftime.

We tend to go a goal up and slow down. Hence why we end up losing late equalisers

Recruitment is absolutely critical. We cannot let that lot gain any momentum and we need to hit the ground running. Given the much expected big squad turnover this summer, it's a big ask unless we have some real quality lined up to come in early doors.

We get that right and next season should be a good one.
I struggle with where this huge turnover of the squad is coming from. Even Gio has said it’s not the end of an era. Goldson looks to be off and maybe McGreggor and Davis retiring but that’s not a huge turnover. Anyone else leaving will be because huge offers have come in and the money can be better reinvested. That’s no different to any club every season.

It was a strange season, really misfiring in the league under Gerrard until maybe his last 2 games where things started coming together, Gio then went on an excellent run of wins but it all came to a halt after the winter break. Only until mid-april where we started coming together as a team, way too late sadly

A lot of games remind me of the 19/20 season, where we seem to be absolutely battering teams and having 30 shots, 12 on target, but only scoring 1 goal, or not scoring at all. The dundee utd away game is a good example of that. I think Hagi was a massive miss for us in the 2nd half of the season, losing that creativity and vision made it so we became reliant on Kent - who barely scores - and a midfield which also barely scores, and a Morelos who at that point was breaking down. Just didn't seem like we had that 1 player we could turn to when things were getting really ugly

Once Gio gets a full pre season under his belt with hopefully the plsyers thst he wants then we will be an even better outfit

Im looking forward to next season

We went through a period where we played Dundee Utd, Motherwell and someone else where I think we had something like 60/70 shots at goal and only 3 goals, yet our opponents had like 3 shots on target and 3 goals.

McGregor was practically invisible against Motherwell. Then you add in his clangers against Hearts, Ross County and Celtic.
Was more than McGregor tbf.. Is just a freaky stat... Last year we should have conceded more but didnt.. Just hope its a freaky one off...

His use of subs needs worked on. Almost as bad as Gerrard at them.
But sometimes he gets them spot on and changes games, particularly in Europe. Even at the weekend they were the right ones to make even though I was shouting for Lowry to be brought on.

Without reading through all the comments - at work!

I'd say I'm more impressed with Gio that SteveG. I think if anything Geo has given players their chance - and they're the ones who've done the letting down. As he's learned he's then worked with the players and some have responded - Wright being an example.

The cups under SteveG were a shambles. Same players making the same mistakes. This is one area where we've improved.

Onwards and upwards.

We didn't "scrape" a 2-2 with Aberdeen TBH, we made a c*nt of the first 10 minutes and looked a bit shaken by the events that had taken place during the week before, their keeper was also pretty decent.
We did scrape a 2-2 draw. We equalised with a penalty in the last 10 minutes. Didn't see us getting a goal any other way.

Their keeper made 2 saves out of 4 shots on target. A half decent saved of a Goldson header but nothing spectacular.

I would buy them being effected by what happened that week if it wasn't the exact same poor performance that we seen for the whole start of the season under Gerrard.

We did scrape a 2-2 draw. We equalised with a penalty in the last 10 minutes. Didn't see us getting a goal any other way.

Their keeper made 2 saves out of 4 shots on target. A half decent saved of a Goldson header but nothing spectacular.

I would buy them being effected by what happened that week if it wasn't the exact same poor performance that we seen for the whole start of the season under Gerrard.

A goal any other way? other than the other goal we scored, and then one at the end Arfield should be taking.

Other than a absolute brain fart of a goal given away and the corner we were all over them TBH

A goal any other way? other than the other goal we scored, and then one at the end Arfield should be taking.

Other than a absolute brain fart of a goal given away and the corner we were all over them TBH
We were poor against a terrible Aberdeen side. Pretending we were really good in a 2-2 draw at home to 10th place Aberdeen shows how shit we were under Gerrard this season.

His use of subs needs worked on. Almost as bad as Gerrard at them.

Were you saying that on Saturday, or the semi final v Celtic mate, when Arfield and Sakala came on?

Even last Wednesday night, Arfield and Davis made a big difference and saw us finish the stronger side.

Now that Gio knows his squad, he's become very good at introducing the right players at the right time.

The last 2 games against them gives you confidence for next season. It's the other games against the rest that he needs to improve his record though.
Tbh ,from what I saw on a TV screen,some howling mistakes were made by individual players ,you cannot leglistate for them as a manager.

The goalkeeper cost points at Ross county iirc , having one that won't let balls fly through the air in his six years box will be a massive asset

Were you saying that on Saturday, or the semi final v Celtic mate, when Arfield and Sakala came on?

Even last Wednesday night, Arfield and Davis made a big difference and saw us finish the stronger side.

Now that Gio knows his squad, he's become very good at introducing the right players at the right time.
His subs won the cup.

Whatever people say,at 70mins , Hearts were still in the game ,all be it tired and pinned back.Only takes a free kick or a corner and the result changes.Gio brought the right men on at the right time .

Correct use of a bench .
Hearts subs weakened their side because the best players were in the 11.

Rangers , having a superior squad had players equally as good as the first 11 on the bench.He picked the time to introduce them superbly

It's a good point you make.

Also worth noting Celtic's form this season, before and after Gio joined us.
They were far more consistent during Gio's term and would've been out of sight in the league, had they shown that consistency early season, while we struggled under Gerrard.

Our European form under Gerrard this season was poor too.
Unlikely we would've got out of our Europa League group under him.

I'll always be grateful for what Gerrard done for us, but Gio will take us to a far higher level imo.

Don't underestimate how big a lift it was for them when our manager walked out in November. Suddenly they could sniff blood and although the turnaround in league positions didn't occur until a few months later, that was the catalyst.

It's impossible to know of course, but I think we win league under Gerrard. He had their number and psychologically in those games, that is huge.

As soon as we dropped points in Dingwall on the Saturday prior to Parkhead to reduce gap to a point, their tails were up and they didn't look back. Had we gone in to half time and only a goal behind at Parkhead, we'd have taken something from the game IMO. But we totally collapsed in the 5 mins before halftime and that handed a huge psychological advantage to them.

Don't underestimate how big a lift it was for them when our manager walked out in November. Suddenly they could sniff blood and although the turnaround in league positions didn't occur until a few months later, that was the catalyst.

It's impossible to know of course, but I think we win league under Gerrard. He had their number and psychologically in those games, that is huge.

As soon as we dropped points in Dingwall on the Saturday prior to Parkhead to reduce gap to a point, their tails were up and they didn't look back. Had we gone in to half time and only a goal behind at Parkhead, we'd have taken something from the game IMO. But we totally collapsed in the 5 mins before halftime and that handed a huge psychological advantage to them.
He set up at parkhead to absorb.He got totally overloaded in the wide areas .
He learned his lesson,you don't let a front foot team like Celtic come hurtling on to you .You take it to them .They then spend a lot of energy trying to wrestle control of the game and also going backwards.which they don't like .

The team seems to be so much fitter now as well

Just to add to the above, had Rodgers left Celtic in November 2018 instead of February 2019, I'm confident we'd have won the league that season. It's a huge thing for a club to change manager with more than half a season remaining.

Maybe ,and I mean maybe Gerrard might have retained the league.

Not a cat in hell's chance Gerrard loses a final in Europe by 1 missed penalty.

He'd lost interest,the team looked unfit to where they are now and his tactics, definitely at European level are nowhere near as good as Gio,s.

Last Wednesday was a master class.

Gio knew going head to head in a slug fest with Frankfurt might not work.So he picked at the game in segments, taking the sting out the tail, making them play in bits and drabs too.
Then finished the stronger side .

Let's look at Wright and Lundstrum.Two Gerrard signings ,two players struggling for a bloke who had faith in signing them.Gio has made the pair of them vital players

We have forgotten how bad we were in January/February.

His refusal to rotate the squad, and the bombing out of the likes of Barisic/Kamara, along with the failure to drop McGregor, probably cost us the title.

That said, he has enough credit in the bank to go again next year.

I don't think we lost the league this season because of Gerrard or Gio.

I think we lost it because we failed to refresh the squad and the players just weren't motivated enough for another 10 months of League grind. We maybe need to cycle three or four new starters in each season just to keep minds fresh and ambition levels up.

Back