League Stats before and after Gio

JMTrangers

We keep hearing about how Gio was responsible for an '8 point swing', so I thought it'd be worth looking into how the team was performing in the league before and after he took charge.

BEFORE GIO:

2.31 points per game
2.23 goals scored per game
1.00 goals conceded per game

AFTER GIO:

2.36 points per game
2.04 goals scored per game
0.72 goals conceded per game

That's not to mention winning the Scottish Cup and reaching the final of the Europa League. He also had to face Celtic 3 times in the league (twice away) compared to us facing them just once before him this season.

Obviously he's gotten some things wrong, but there has been definite improvement in the league so far and it should get better when he has his own players in.

We keep hearing about how Gio was responsible for an '8 point swing', so I thought it'd be worth looking into how the team was performing in the league before and after he took charge.

BEFORE GIO:

2.31 points per game
2.23 goals scored per game
1.00 goals conceded per game

AFTER GIO:

2.36 points per game
2.04 goals scored per game
0.72 goals conceded per game

That's not to mention winning the Scottish Cup and reaching the final of the Europa League. He also had to face Celtic 3 times in the league (twice away) compared to us facing them just once before him this season.

Obviously he's gotten some things wrong, but there has been definite improvement in the league so far and it should get better when he has his own players in.

It's a good point you make.

Also worth noting Celtic's form this season, before and after Gio joined us.
They were far more consistent during Gio's term and would've been out of sight in the league, had they shown that consistency early season, while we struggled under Gerrard.

Our European form under Gerrard this season was poor too.
Unlikely we would've got out of our Europa League group under him.

I'll always be grateful for what Gerrard done for us, but Gio will take us to a far higher level imo.

An interesting stat from last year would be the ratio of goals conceded against shots on target.. or even just shots. This must be absurdly high... The games we let go to draws were disasterous over the season where we conceded a goal to one shot on target or 3 goals to 3 shots on target etc... It was freaky...

I was concerned with the performance at Braga, but it seemed to be a turning point in the performances thereafter, ironically. Van Bronkhorst reads the well etc, but he is also much more animated these days than he was at first.

We had a manager at the start of the season who was clearly looking elsewhere. Gio came in and we never seen much improvement at all in the league.

The games against Ross County, Motherwell, Dundee Utd. The failure to use the squad properly leading to players looking totally jaded and Morelos clearly playing with an injury. The st johnstone game was a shambles, 5 subs available not 1 sub made and Morelos hobbling off at the end.

Europe was outstanding but to claim improvement in the league is clutching. The stats are improved by a tiny margin but that’s not saying much considering we didn’t exactly start the season brilliantly.

Water under the bridge, but I hold my hands up and say I had serious doubts particularly domestically early on, but from what he’s shown domestically and in Europe the last couple of months I’m confident he will get it right next season provided he gets the chance to shape the squad the way he wants it.

Much of that is on the Board and Ross Wilson and let’s just say jury is out on that after recent business, but let’s see.

People talk about our last performances against Celtic and how he has their number.

They beat us at Ibrox after we took the lead, we then won in extra time thanks to a late equaliser after they missed a sitter to make it 2-0 then we drew with them after being behind again and then missing another sitter before we equalised.

We need to improve a lot for the league campaign next season because Celtic will spend a lot more money again.

With a more reliable goalkeeper, the taste of success and better trust in the wider squad next season, things will improve again.

The squad have had a fallibility they haven't been able to shake off since they were put together.

Their very first league game together ended up 1-1 with a 91st minute equaliser.

They needed freshened up long before this season and it caught up with them again after their heroic efforts in winning 55.

It's not Gio's fault that happened. You can't wave a magic wand at an under performing, tired squad and get a tune out of them. Getting themselves up for Europe was never an issue, Gio just added some tactical craft that allowed us to go further.

I'm really positive on the whole. The jury is out on our ability to sign players to enhance the first team but let's see how we get on with Gio in charge.

People talk about our last performances against Celtic and how he has their number.

They beat us at Ibrox after we took the lead, we then won in extra time thanks to a late equaliser after they missed a sitter to make it 2-0 then we drew with them after being behind again and then missing another sitter before we equalised.

We need to improve a lot for the league campaign next season because Celtic will spend a lot more money again.
Seperate entity FC need to spend loads just to stand still with their loan players. It's their dodgy officials we need to be able to manage better so they are not a factor.

Celtics form greatly improved while we remained our inconsistent self.

We need to see real improvements in our starting 11 this summer.

It was always a myth that Gio cost us. Simple stat about being clear at the top pre GVB and behind post GVB implies we were great before he arrived . We were terrible it just so happens that Celtic were worse.

I remember just before the first Celtic away we were cock a hoop. Attack from the start get Diallo and Kent on the wings and we will destroy them. We lost goals at terrible times and handed the impetus in the league over to them.

we did have two absolute stonewall penalties which would've resulted in vickers being sent off not given.

The cheating from the match officials needs addressed regardless of the manager and players we have, it's blatant cheating.

We dropped silly points under both managers. The difference is that the Tim's had the bulk of their shitty games at the start of the season, then got their arses in gear. While it's true that Gerrard left us with an 8 point lead, that's mainly down to them struggling rather than us being brilliant. They improved significantly, and we didn't.

Daft individual errors and ridiculous refereeing cost us the league, both were happening under Gerrard and Gio.

The difference in refereeing standards is a big reason we do better in Europe, just look at Collum on Saturday, an absolute shit show, hopefully VAR helps a bit.

edit, also it can’t be understated how much the fixture manipulation helped them, had the games been played when they should have they wouldn’t have recovered.

Last edited:
We dropped silly points under both managers. The difference is that the Tim's had the bulk of their shitty games at the start of the season, then got their arses in gear. While it's true that Gerrard left us with an 8 point lead, that's mainly down to them struggling rather than us being brilliant. They improved significantly, and we didn't.

It was 4 points when he left.

disagree, it's a collective of:

us being poor in games
match officials hell bent on cheating us
match officials hell bent on favouring them
The bottom two are constants in every season.

McGregor does some basics and we have sufficient points to win the league.

Its a reason I am hopeful Saturday was his last ever appearance for us as he has reached the end of his time with us.

Daft individual errors and ridiculous refereeing cost us the league, both were happening under Gerrard and Gio.

The difference in refereeing standards is a big reason we do better in Europe, just look at Collum on Saturday, an absolute shit show, hopefully VAR helps a bit.
Downside is it will be the same clowns officiating on the pitch who will be controlling VAR.

Knowing our luck we will get Mulvanney running the line with Carr as VAR ref

we did have two absolute stonewall penalties which would've resulted in vickers being sent off not given.

The cheating from the match officials needs addressed regardless of the manager and players we have, it's blatant cheating.
Aye, a bit weird a bear would take the most negative view possible to try and paint things in a bad light. People can do that with anything if they really want to paint a certain picture.

Odd. Very odd.

Poster #20 would do well to consider this.

Gio suffered more from Celtic having a good January transfer window than any failure of his own (I don't blame him for our poor dealings - he was too soon in the door).

If Celtic go into the 2nd half of the season with the same form of the 1st, we win the league. They bought well and kicked on, we didn't, the rest is history.

For me the post-break dip was also a result of him really trying to figure the team out in his own way rather than just be Gerrard+. Inevitably it took a while to get going, and with Celtic being more consistent than they had a right to be we fell behind. But if you ask me we're playing better stuff now than we have done at any point in the last year.

Poster #20 would do well to consider this.

The individual errors referenced included McGregors, it def wasn’t solely down to him, that is way OTT and unfair, but he did have too many howlers that he didn’t the previous season.

The individual errors referenced included McGregors, it def wasn’t solely down to him, that is way OTT and unfair, but he did have too many howlers that he didn’t the previous season.
The unarguable truth is, with decent refereeing and VAR, we still win that league by a decent margin.

There was the run of about 5 penalties that should have been awarded against them, over the space of not many more games early in the season.
The offside Kyogo winner.
Play until Celtic score a winner around 100 minutes happened a couple of times.
The several non pens they were awarded.

That was just the gaining Celtic points side of the equation.

Despite the bleating in the press and social media, we werent awarded one non-pen this year. We were denied numerous blatant pens though. Thats the real story. Pens that if scored would have won us significantly more points. Including against them, which would have knocked their points total and boosted ours.

The only decision we really got I think was an offside goal by Sakala, that I'm not even sure if it was the difference between a win or not (i've now forgotten).

With good refereeing and VAR our points total is probably 10 points or so higher and their's is 10-15 lower.

But aye, scapegoat one of our team as some like to do.

But, I know you are reasonable and know all this.

We had a manager at the start of the season who was clearly looking elsewhere. Gio came in and we never seen much improvement at all in the league.

The games against Ross County, Motherwell, Dundee Utd. The failure to use the squad properly leading to players looking totally jaded and Morelos clearly playing with an injury. The st johnstone game was a shambles, 5 subs available not 1 sub made and Morelos hobbling off at the end.

Europe was outstanding but to claim improvement in the league is clutching. The stats are improved by a tiny margin but that’s not saying much considering we didn’t exactly start the season brilliantly.
It’s been pointed out many times on here that the major factor in Celtic winning the title was that they improved massively and went on a 30 game plus unbeaten run.

The biggest criticism of Gio in the league is that he didn’t manage to kick us on when we were still in the lead.

You certainly look at the games against Ross County away and Motherwell at home as moments where we flopped badly and those two games more than any others probably cost us the title.

Losing to the Yahoos at Ibrox in April was the coup de grace, but our form since then has been excellent suggesting he finally worked out a winning formula, all of which bodes well for next season.

Aye stats look good but would much prefer that silver shiny thing at the end of the season than saying " aye but we improved"

Gios game management in games needs alot of work still and will need to hit ground running next year
His game management? You mean like bringing on 2 guys that win us the Cup?
Gio wasn't responsible for McGregor chucking at least 4 points away v Ross County and Motherwell

We never really improved or regressed much in the league under Gio.

We dropped the same daft points all season under both managers. The only difference was that the mentally challengeds were dropping points left, right, and centre for the first two months of the season. That allowed Gerrard to open up a 4 point advantage by the time he left despite his dropped points.

He really didn’t hit the ground running Gio which is fair enough, must be some task coming in as manager halfway through a season.

I think he tried to impart his way of playing and initially overlooked the strengths of our squad. The one glaring one being telling Tav not to bomb forward.

He seems to have found a system which both fits his vision and plays to our individuals strengths.

Excited to see what he can do in the transfer window and next season!

After April 3rd this team could have folded. It was all set up for us to lose in the cup demo, them to win the league against us at the scum hut and the expectation of us getting knocked by braga or leipzig.

This team however just seemed to find something that galvanised them and all of us together we literally went into battle every game with 4 over 120 mins. This team took us within 1 pen kick off being Europa league champs and finally ended our Hampden hoodoo (whilst killing their treble), we done this without having our recognised 2 strikers.

For me this feels like the aftermath of the Lovenkrands final 2002 we have that feel good factor something to build upon now (look how the next season went after that).

For me the biggest problem is seeing out a win. See out the times we took the lead we win that league.
After Christmas alone if we see out games we took the lead:
Aberdeen + 2 points
Ross County + 2 points
Motherwell + 2 points
poet scum + 3 points

9 points there games we should be holding onto.

The 1-2 at Ibrox was the one that buggered it for me. They just went on a great run and didn’t stop.

Looking forward to Gios full season ahead, with hopefully some great signings.

A full pre season will make a big difference to us under Gio …. He needs help in the recruitment department which was a disaster in January

Gerrard had the easier fixtures at the start of the season and done poorly in Europe. Gio was undone by that spell in January where we dropped points at Aberdeen and Ross county.

Why has it become popular on here to use gotten rather than got?

The jury is out on our ability to sign players to enhance the first team but let's see how we get on with Gio in charge.

This is next season in a nutshell. Every Rangers fan to a man, woman and child has serious concerns with our tranfer purchases when the last 3 windows are taken into consideration. Failure to back the manager in both numbers and quality will see our rivals pull away.

It is pretty obvious our poor start to the season just ended was not helped by an unhappy and seemily disenfranchised manager who was never allowed to make the quality signs he feels he was promised. I don't think Gio will through the toys out of the pram just as visibly if he isn't backed fully by the board - however I feel this time the fans be the ones to let the board know of our displeasure.

A very interesting and possibly very busy close season awaits. Only 5 weeks till we return to pre-season. Would like to think the majority of our recruitment would be completef during that time.

For me the biggest problem is seeing out a win. See out the times we took the lead we win that league.
After Christmas alone if we see out games we took the lead:
Aberdeen + 2 points
Ross County + 2 points
Motherwell + 2 points
poet scum + 3 points

9 points there games we should be holding onto.
the aberdeen game i excuse as we had no chance that evening, the sheep realised they could do what they wanted and they did with help from the ref and his officials.

This is a big point people don't want to talk About the stopping of league for early winter break change in refs and change in sub rules

We play those two games we are 9 or 12 points clear and it's a different story.

But we do need to question sir if the decisions, abdn, Motherwell,celtic, Dundee utd done of the decisive against us were just bizarre and decisions for them in their games they struggled even more bizarre.

Just look at yesterday as example collum was trying his hardest to cost us that game

It's done we can't change it but we need to start applying serious pressure on these refs and sfa

Ross County away was the turning point, it handed them the initiative, knowing fine well if they beat us they would go top, they never looked back after that.

There has been lots written and talked about Gerrard and all the rest, the one thing I would have been certain about under him, we would never have capitulated against the filth.

The circumstances after Gerrards sudden departure gave Gio and his team a tough start ,a number of the squad seemed to be dispirited add in injuries to key players like Helander,Hagi,Jack,and Davis and laterally Morelos and Roofe , it has also taken time for the team to get used to tactical tweaks , I for one am looking forward to seeing what we can do under the manager with a good pre season and some new additions.

It's hard to build a coherent narrative around what actually happened. He came in with a nightmare run of fixtures and took maximum points when he'd have been forgiven for struggling. Then our league form all the way from January until April 3rd was awful. 12 games, 6 wins, 4 draws, 2 defeats. Four of the six wins were by a solitary goal and we badly toiled in all four of them. Europe was consistently excellent. He ended the Hampden hoodoo. League form seemed to improve as the pressure was off.

We're still awful after a break. That's another hoodoo needing fixed.

Back