Lech Poznan rest players?

Or Krasnodar. They look all over the place in the ECL. Don’t know much about Tel Aviv or how good/bad Red Star are.

There’s the prestige and extra money of winning the group, but if that translates to a better draw is impossible to say.
We could do without the travel to Russia or Ukraine.

Had a look at their league table and they are mid table, 7 points of europe.
Have a feeling they could rest players on Thursday to concentrate on the league game. Especially as have nothing to play for.
They have £517,000 to play for. £170,000 for the draw, People seem to forget this.

I think topping the group will help give our players more belief that they have the mentality to hold on to a league. I know we qualified last season in the group but we bottled it in the last ten minutes against young boys when we could have topped the group. Not trying to criticise last years team but winning the group will highlight our continued improvement from last year.

Right now, as it stands, the unseeded teams in the round of 32 draw would be:

Molde
Leverkusen
PSV
Young Boys
Sociedad
Braga
Milan
Spurs
Wolfsberg
Tel Aviv
Red Star
Kiev
Krasnodar
Salzburg
Olympiakos

It'll change a fair bit, but winning the group still needs some luck in the draw.
Milan wil do

All 4 teams will try to win their games. We just need to beat what I genuinely believe is a pub team

Out of interest- why do you think they're a pub team ?

They certainly gave us a game when we played them at home & they're not like any other pub team I've ever played in or against

No.

It’s the only team we have played in the last couple of years where we just looked a level below them in every area.
They were in a brilliant run of form at the time while we were struggling.

I reckon it would be closer this time but they would still prove too good.

Save them for the final. :cool:

All 4 teams will try to win their games. We just need to beat what I genuinely believe is a pub team

i was actually impressed by them Ibrox.

not sure many pub teams would score twice against benfica either :))

We should approach the game with a must win attitude and we’re playing a world class outfit.

I take it you never watched t
I presume you never watched them play at Ibrox? They are decent team who need to be respected.

Yes, and that’s just one reason we should be looking to top the group.
I think some fans read into Gerrard saying he can rest some players but in the same sentence says, it's demanded that club win everything we compete for. Resting a few players to be replaced with equal quality isn't weakening the team. Do we even have a 1st eleven at the moment.
IMHO, we will play to win regardless of cash

Should be aiming to top the group it’s in our hands all we need to do is win. But with a lot of fixtures coming up and every single game just as important as the next at the moment it’s a hard one to call. Part of me wants to go out there full team all guns blazing. Another part or me wants to rest a few players and hope for the best.

When a team has nothing to play for, they are often actually more dangerous opposition due to the fact that they will play without any pressure. We will still need to be at the top of our game to win this one.

We have the luxury of a freebie on thursday, cant remember the last time we had that.

As far as I'm concerned the job is done so lets put everything into our next 2 league games, weakened dundee utd or not

Is it not 1.5 million? 500k for the win and 1 mill for winning the group
Yeah i think people saying an extra million for winning this game are referring to the fact we are already guaranteed £500k if we finish second but if we win we get the extra £1m for the win bonus for the match and topping the group.

Oh well, that must be some pub league they play in.
It’s very very poor standards mate!

when they signed Klimala I couldn’t believe it, they actually believed they had the next Lewandoski however what they didn’t realise is that he was actually playing in Germany

It’s very very poor standards mate!

when they signed Klimala I couldn’t believe it, they actually believed they had the next Lewandoski however what they didn’t realise is that he was actually playing in Germany
Well I'm not sure where that puts Scotland's top league, won by the same two teams for the last 35 years.

Well I'm not sure where that puts Scotland's top league, won by the same two teams for the last 35 years.
Yes and outside of us the rest are verging on amateur. Dundalk have played more times in Europe group states than the rest of the 40 teams in Scotland.

Winning against LP is important for the obvious reasons - such as the revenues & the seedings -

But imo there's also an advantage to be gained from the experience of dealing with this 'type' of game as well

It's the type of fixture - where there's not as much at stake - where we've fallen down on in the past

Neither team have to win this game & LP may well be assisted by having the pressure switched off

We needn't win it & still progress - but I'd feel much more confident of our abilities if we can win this tie professionally

Our ethos should always be to win every game regardless of circumstances

There second string will be playing.
Do we know this for sure? They gave us a good run out at Ibrox in the last game. If we’re not full prepared for them it could be a banana skin.

Dundee Utd is the easier of the 2 games imho

Not sure of your thinking on that one at all bud.
We barely got full points at Ibrox in the home time. They are a team that played a similar style to us. They stretched us time and again IIRC.

I just think we need to be full strength to coexist in Europe, and surely the trip to Dundee is the easier of the 2 games?

Someone smarter than me will need to take the team from the last league game prior to playing in Europe the past 5 occasions and make an educated guess. I'll leave that to Gerrard and the team, I though they were good and didn't expect them to be of the level of Legia but felt they were. Something annoying about them, in a Young Boys sort of way. Nothing pleasing on the eye to worry about but a right tough nut to crack

I'd quite like to convincingly beat Milan to really rub it in.
Mate if it happens it happens and I wouldn't fear them over a 1 leg or 2 leg tie. They milked the Lazio wins when the reality is they're not much cop, any British side still in Europe would beat Milan. I'd fancy Arsenal, Leicester, Spurs and probably lastly ourselves a right good chance of putting them to the sword. Italian football has the fear factor of a 19th Century Terrorist with a metal shark in his hands

Few teams play their best 11 in Europa League games that are meaningless to them.

I think we'll see several regulars rested by both teams.

I think most people would disagree with this being the toughest tie of all. Surely Benfica away was the toughest.
We are more than capable of going to Poland and getting a victory, although squad rotation and forward planning by our management tram could play a part in team selection and performance.
I hear what your saying but sometimes reality is different than games on paper. Benfica are more talented as a group granted, but their defence is slow and more open to being exploited by our pace. Going by the game at Ibrox, Poznań played a similiarstryle to us and are capable of hitting us with pace. I just don’t think we are quite at the level where we can go into Europe at anything less than full strength.

Winning against LP is important for the obvious reasons - such as the revenues & the seedings -

But imo there's also an advantage to be gained from the experience of dealing with this 'type' of game as well

It's the type of fixture - where there's not as much at stake - where we've fallen down on in the past

Neither team have to win this game & LP may well be assisted by having the pressure switched off

We needn't win it & still progress - but I'd feel much more confident of our abilities if we can win this tie professionally

Tack on two more coefficient points for a win and who knows how important they could be next season in Europe.

Next season we will be in the CL Qualification stages.

The reasons you state are all totally valid & I want us 100% to play our best team.

BUT isn’t the biggest reason the coefficient points for the CL qualifying ?

Im sure I read that we won’t be seeded in the final qualification match, but have now created a coefficient score that means we could be seeded with a couple of seeds losing ?

Being seeded in that match could be worth 30m, if it means we qualify for the CL Group next season.

A game changer for our club.

The reasons you state are all totally valid & I want us 100% to play our best team.
BUT isn’t the biggest reason the coefficient points for the CL qualifying ?

Im sure I read that we won’t be seeded in the final qualification match, but have now created a coefficient score that means we could be seeded with a couple of seeds losing ?

Being seeded in that match could be worth 30m, if it means we qualify for the CL Group next season.

A game changer for our club.
Right now our coefficient is 24.25. This season, Slavia Praha took the last seeded spot in the QL 4 round in the Champions path with a seeding of 27.5. Of course there are no guarantees but that shows ballpark the significance of a couple of points and seeding in the qualifiers.

Last edited:
Back