Lech Poznan rest players?

I do not think we can even start to think that; Can they afford to kiss £500k away? Will they want to try and build momentum for the league? Will they know they can go all out as their fixture list is lighter than it could have been? will they simply want to regain some pride?

No way of knowing in advance and I think we have to assume they will go for it. If they hand us it, it will be a welcome bonus and a few half time changes will let us get some rest.

Right now, as it stands, the unseeded teams in the round of 32 draw would be:

Molde
Leverkusen
PSV
Young Boys
Sociedad
Braga
Milan
Spurs
Wolfsberg
Tel Aviv
Red Star
Kiev
Krasnodar
Salzburg
Olympiakos

It'll change a fair bit, but winning the group still needs some luck in the draw.

If we know we're playing a weakened Arab XI on the Sunday after, I'd play our strongest team v the Poles. Think it's another 1M to win the group and the game combined, so fuk it, go for the cash and we should have enough to hump the Aarabs with whoever is good to go on the Sunday.

All 4 teams will try to win their games. We just need to beat what I genuinely believe is a pub team
Oh shit, the Record will pick up on that post. Sources close to Rangers exclusive " Over-confident Gers Write off Euro Opponents are a Pub Team"

Molde is the ideal draw from that.
Or Krasnodar. They look all over the place in the ECL. Don’t know much about Tel Aviv or how good/bad Red Star are.

There’s the prestige and extra money of winning the group, but if that translates to a better draw is impossible to say.

All this talk of other teams in our section resting players - I take it they must have missed Stevie G saying he will look at game management for some players now we have qualified particularly for the upcoming schedule in his interview directly after Thursdays win- that to me sounds like resting some key players

If we know we're playing a weakened Arab XI on the Sunday after, I'd play our strongest team v the Poles. Think it's another 1M to win the group and the game combined, so fuk it, go for the cash and we should have enough to hump the Aarabs with whoever is good to go on the Sunday.
This. We are not in a position to write off 1.5 million quid.
Play strongest team.
Go for the win.

All this talk of other teams in our section resting players - I take it they must have missed Stevie G saying he will look at game management for some players now we have qualified particularly for the upcoming schedule in his interview directly after Thursdays win- that to me sounds like resting some key players
I think every team will play a slightly weaker team now the group is effectively over. We have a 21 man Euro squad so some will drop to the bench from last week. If the Dundee Utd game gets cancelled I think we'll play full strength.

Last edited:
Oh shit, the Record will pick up on that post. Sources close to Rangers exclusive " Over-confident Gers Write off Euro Opponents are a Pub Team"
hopefully the corn beef prick is the one

I do not think we can even start to think that; Can they afford to kiss £500k away? Will they want to try and build momentum for the league? Will they know they can go all out as their fixture list is lighter than it could have been? will they simply want to regain some pride?

No way of knowing in advance and I think we have to assume they will go for it. If they hand us it, it will be a welcome bonus and a few half time changes will let us get some rest.

They probably can afford to write off £500k, their TV deal blows the SPFL deal out the water.

Right now, as it stands, the unseeded teams in the round of 32 draw would be:

Molde
Leverkusen
PSV
Young Boys
Sociedad
Braga
Milan
Spurs
Wolfsberg
Tel Aviv
Red Star
Kiev
Krasnodar
Salzburg
Olympiakos

It'll change a fair bit, but winning the group still needs some luck in the draw.

We got an easier tie last year being 2nd in our group and non seeded (Braga) than the winners Porto did being seeded (Leverkusen).

Would be surprised if Poznan rested many players. They will want to end on a high at home.

And no Leverkusen, Belgrade or Salzburg for at least one more round please. The rest we should not fear.

That’s exactly what we will do.

As nice as the extra 500k would be, now we have secured qualification, the league takes priority over everything else.

In my opinion only 3 players in our starting 11 are difficult to replace, Goldson, Tav and Kent we have almost like for like in all other positions, so making sensible changes for Thursday is a no brainer.

Lech were a tough game for us at full strength at home. They won’t be pushovers.

We just have to take it as it comes, play a full strength team the game before and rest anyone who shows any sign of needing it. Not be daft with our squad, eg if we are light at a position then protect the best player.

I think this could possibly be the toughest tie of all. We will need to be at our best to take something from this game
I think most people would disagree with this being the toughest tie of all. Surely Benfica away was the toughest.
We are more than capable of going to Poland and getting a victory, although squad rotation and forward planning by our management tram could play a part in team selection and performance.

No time for complacency, I’d love to win the group & believe we deserve it.

Sparta Prague put out their second string recently - and they did well I seem to remember ;)
Gladly Gerrard has already said he will make changes

Back