Lee McCulloch Heading To Hearts.

Not to totally undermine his service during that time - it was to be admired, much like everyone's during that period - but let's not forget he was also picking up circa 18k a week for playing fourth tier Scottish football, not a bad gig.
What would you want him to pick up ?

always plenty among our support ready and willing to downplay any former player’s contribution, or throw stones because they were paid at a level determined by market forces.

All about differing opinions, but some of the negativity seems a little petty or based on jealousy
Agree mate, he stayed and thank god he did, coz at the time we were struggling to put a team together

Apparently he is an excellent coach - not that is a huge surprise but heard from a few boys he has coached in the past.

best of luck to him at Hearts

Funnily enough I was talking to a guy who played under him and Killie and said he was absolutely hopeless and blamed Lee for ruining his career.

Good luck to him anyways i wish him well in his coaching career.

Most people on FF despised him in his first season. Then he was injured for the majority of the next.

He probably cost about £15m in total. A couple of headers and a good 6 months post admin.

Still not entirely sure what his position was. A poor centre mid, an awful centre half, but did a job up front against shite. Maybe I’m being cruel but really can’t fathom the legend stuff.
This is how I see him too.

Some would argue that picking up £18k a week to play in the bottom leagues of Scottish football was a bit much.
They’d be right but that was his contract.
Let’s say he only took a quarter.
Who’d have been the beneficiaries?
The club or those pocketing every penny they could?

Hearts are about to become deadly from set pieces around the 18 yard box, with McCulloch’s patented lay off & hoof it effort being introduced.

Some would argue that picking up £18k a week to play in the bottom leagues of Scottish football was a bit much.
Can’t blame him for that. If your boss offered you 18k a week, would you suggest that it was too much and you would rather have less?

Good luck to the Big Man.

He was actually very well regarded as a coach at Killie. Think the managerial job came a bit too early for him but no doubts he can have a very good career in coaching/management ahead of him.
Wonder if there was an outside chance of him getting the Utd job and only left after they made an appointment.

Last edited:
Where are people getting 18k a week from? No one on here has the first clue how much he was on but that won't stop them pulling figures out of the clear blue sky in an effort to downplay his contributions. That's a fckn weird way to support your team if you ask me.

As a 31 year old, I have saw some truly great players - but Jig is my favourite Ranger from my time as a ST holder since 2002. He epitomised everything it meant to be a Ranger IMO. Good luck to him.

Your opinion mate. I have mine. Jig's is partly due to special circumstances, much of which were off the park, but he deserves it on that basis. Had 2012 never happened, I wouldve agreed with you but his response to that was of a true Ranger.
There were a few rumours floating about at the time he was hoping for a coaching job no idea if true or not, fair to say overall he wasn't a favourite of mine, decent player with some good moments, too much to say I'm the media also

Love him or hate him, Lee is one of us and got to live the dream we all wanted, to play for our heroes.

I’ve met him many times as friends with his wee cousin. He bleeds blue and always speaks with passion about the club.

Also love the fact he offered Paul Hartley a square go in his garden after an old firm game.

y
So what? The fascination we as a support have on us actually paying our players is embarrassing.

He had options to go elsewhere like your Naismiths and Whittakers and didn't. He also went into a meeting with administrators where it was reported he would be let go and he played for free to prevent this.

So let's keep the thread on track. I think he is a legend for staying. Others don't. That's fine. But let's not downplay the fact he actually stayed while others p*ssed off.
yeah 15k a week for the 3rd div. how dare i question it. Obviously not staunch enough.
Better that than picking up a fortune at Everton or Norwich
The money we were shelling out during the climb back was nothing more than attrocious...

Yes, he was.
Is this a problem?
yes it was! we as a club were paying out silly money, that didnt need spent in those leagues.
But i guess your'e not allowed to question that. i'm not a sheep mate, i actually question things in life.

yes it was! we as a club were paying out silly money, that didnt need spent in those leagues.
But i guess your'e not allowed to question that. i'm not a sheep mate, i actually question things in life.
How was that Lee’s fault?

Players got slaughtered for leaving in our time of need. Then the ones that stayed like Jig and Wallace got slaughtered as well. Some people just can’t help themselves.

A very well paid, just above average footballer - for that he's something of a commercial genius.

Commercially, he was a dream.

Who could ever forget ‘The McCulloch Point’? Kids in every playground replicating it more often than a D-Generation X ‘Suck It’ motion.

Not to mention the ‘3 step free kick wall smash’. It was a big hit with me and my mates. Whoever was in goals for the tenth head or volley would have to be the one running out the wall to close down a Jig driller.

Chick Young questioned if Boli and Laudrup could play in Europe. His questions were sh1te as well.

Perhaps you should question how that is McCulloch's fault?

He stayed. Most didn't. He deserves credit not have the wage he was being paid used as a stick to beat him FFS.

Was he supposed to say to Charles Green "naw naw Charles. That money is too much. You keep it. In fact why don't you launder it for one of the umpteen shady characters that are cleaning their money through the club."

Plus youve made up a figure he was being paid as well.

Facts are he had offers of similar money elsewhere. He played for free initially then stayed. Acted like a Ranger.

What you speaking of?
Okay, being such a challenging character, tell me,
If McCulloch had moved on, or taken a reduced wage, who would have benefitted?
Would this saving have been used to the betterment of the club, the team?

What you speaking of?
Okay, being such a challenging character, tell me,
If McCulloch had moved on, or taken a reduced wage, who would have benefitted?
Would this saving have been used to the betterment of the club, the team?
who mentioned challenging character ffs! he was at the arse end of his career, probably played more games than he should have, to justify his wage. moving on would have been better in my opinion. loved him in his prime, thought it was a piss take the wages spent on him...

Chick Young questioned if Boli and Laudrup could play in Europe. His questions were sh1te as well.

Correct

Correct

He stayed. Most didn't. He deserves credit not have the wage he was being paid used as a stick to beat him FFS.

CORRECT

Was he supposed to say to Charles Green "naw naw Charles. That money is too much. You keep it. In fact why don't you launder it for one of the umpteen shady characters that are cleaning their money through the club."

Correct

Correct (probably!)

Facts are he had offers of similar money elsewhere. He played for free initially then stayed. Acted like a Ranger.

Absolutely Correct
who mentioned challenging character ffs! he was at the arse end of his career, probably played more games than he should have, to justify his wage. moving on would have been better in my opinion. loved him in his prime, thought it was a piss take the wages spent on him...

No need to answer after all.
An eminently more sensible poster has articulated this very well.

how have i made up a figure? he was the highest paid at the club, and there was some ridiculous wages being paid for dross. ffs Ian Black was lifting 7 grand a week. And that's some tangent with Boli and Laudrup. Boli was a horror signing for us. As for talking shite if the cap fits.

If
Can’t blame him for that. If your boss offered you 18k a week, would you suggest that it was too much and you would rather have less?
If I was already a millionaire, playing in the bottom tier and my club was in a mess I might have.

As per usual, FF full of dreamers!
Yes a professional footballer should have played for free .. can't make it up.
He was paid his contract, which he is entitled to take and he earned every penny of it - unlike many of his colleagues at the time (and before liquidation).

There should be a basic intelligence test on here before you are granted the privilege of filling our screens with nonsensical posts.

As per usual, FF full of dreamers!
Yes a professional footballer should have played for free .. can't make it up.
He was paid his contract, which he is entitled to take and he earned every penny of it - unlike many of his colleagues at the time (and before liquidation).

There should be a basic intelligence test on here before you are granted the privilege of filling our screens with nonsensical posts.
How many said he should've played for free?

Back