Leeds target Rangers star Glen Kamara for £8m summer transfer after scouting mission

I've not read through the rest of the thread but my thoughts on Kamara are that he's a very good player and I like him a lot. However, of the players we have that we could sell for a decent fee, I feel Kamara would be the easiest to replace out of them. So if we were able to get close to 10 million for him I think it would be a very good bit of business.

Already said elsewhere McGinn from Hins went for similar to what we paid for Helander. Were Hibs paying him what we or the Italians were paying Helander?Not even close. Duncan Ferguson years ago 4 million what were Dundee Utd paying him? Hutton when he went from Spurs was he earning 9 million pound player wages? Wages mean nothing.

Ah right, I’ll need to remember in future that when we give new improved terms to our performing and valuable assets we are just doing it for a laugh.

The truth is in the middle.

If you turn down £8m and tell player to be patient and loyal then you probably can expect a knock at the door re a wee pay rise. That happens at all clubs every day.

That’s exactly what I am saying but this fellow is explicitly stating wages mean nothing.

Absolutely not for me.

Selling Kamara for £8m is one thing. Replacing him with Lewis Ferguson at a vastly inflated price (This is Aberdeen we're talking about here) shouldn't even be on our radar.

1. He's not worth that sort of outlay
2. His dad and his uncle are toxic IMO.

As a wise man said to me last night "Gerrard wouldn't be able to fart in the dressing room without it getting back to Barry and Derek". Christ, Lewis Ferguson wouldn't be able to concentrate without Barry asking him every two minutes "Have you put in a good word to Steven for me ?"

this, exactly.
None of the Fergusons should ever be welcome through the front doors again. Not to be trusted

Already said elsewhere McGinn from Hins went for similar to what we paid for Helander. Were Hibs paying him what we or the Italians were paying Helander?Not even close. Duncan Ferguson years ago 4 million what were Dundee Utd paying him? Hutton when he went from Spurs was he earning 9 million pound player wages? Wages mean nothing.
Again, this doesn’t apply because all those clubs accepted the offers.

This is about when a club refuses an offer.

The last player that went for real money was hutton.
Morelos is the jewel in the crown.
Katic was 10 million a month ago and now can hardly get on the bench.
FF changes like the wind, they were saying in here 2 months ago that kamara looks a 50k player.
Now done well for 6 weeks and is a star.
This is too true. I thought that Kamara was looking fifty grand's worth for a spell of games. I didn't post it though as I knew that it could come back to bite me an make me look foolish. He gets his finger out and starts looking like the real deal again and suddenly he's worth real dough again.

I think the quoted figure is cheap in terms of where he could be in a year's time by way of value. But the board have objectives and the management have a value call to make.

Every player has his price after all and in the current climate, it seems Glen's is £8m.

Ive a feeling Kamara will be off in January, Seems to be a lot of smoke about regarding him and with Gerrards comments about there is no new contract shop i can see him being the player to leave to "balance" the books (Kent)

Hope im wrong but i do expect one to leave in the summer

Kamara will leave for that sort of money. 50k to £8m-£10m is phenomenal business and would almost wipe out the £11m reported loses.

Glen looks like an ambitious boy also I I think he sees himself back down south. The wages Leeds can pay also would dwarf ours.

I think between 8-10 million for Kamara would represent good and fair business.

Let's not also forget that we currently have Jack, Davis, Aribo, King, Docherty all also available for that role. That's before any stand out youths or transfers off the back of bringing in £8 million.

I'd be sad to see him go, but also know the financial reality of the situation is a good opportunity.

Kamara will leave for that sort of money. 50k to £8m-£10m is phenomenal business and would almost wipe out the £11m reported loses.

Glen looks like an ambitious boy also I I think he sees himself back down south. The wages Leeds can pay also would dwarf ours.

I can easily see Kamara ending up back at Arsenal in a couple of years time, and probably for in excess of £20m.

The last player that went for real money was hutton.
Morelos is the jewel in the crown.
Katic was 10 million a month ago and now can hardly get on the bench.
FF changes like the wind, they were saying in here 2 months ago that kamara looks a 50k player.
Now done well for 6 weeks and is a star.

No thanks, but you can get yourself a reality check, don’t worry about me. Here’s a few facts for you:

• Kamara is a first pick international in a side that are almost certainly going to the Euros.
  • Kamara is a regular pick in all of our big games.
  • Kamara has performed very well in the Europa League against quality opposition, that’s a level far above what ANY championship player is performing at.
  • Kamara is only 24 years old and will get better
  • Kamara has 4 years left on his Rangers contract

I don’t give a shit what any zoomer on here thinks of Kamara because the bipolar loonies of FF don’t decide our players valuations (thankfully), I’m not sure why you think fan opinions on here matter at all. But if you think selling a player with the above credentials for £4m to a club in a league where Martyn Waghorn transfers for £8m is good business, then you’re either wired to the moon or Martin Bain.

In summary, that would be absolutely shite business and in keeping with our history of letting clubs take the piss out of us in the transfer market. It’s clearly not me who needs a hard reality check, and the fact that this potential deal would be done in January in the middle of a title race should make an even bigger mockery of that ‘£4m at a push’ estimation.

No thanks, but you can get yourself a reality check, don’t worry about me. Here’s a few facts for you:

• Kamara is a first pick international in a side that are almost certainly going to the Euros.
  • Kamara has performed very well in the Europa League against quality opposition, that’s a level far above what ANY championship player is worth.

I don’t give a shit what any zoomer on here thinks of Kamara because the bipolar loonies of FF don’t decide our players valuations (thankfully), I’m not sure why you think fan opinions on here matter at all. But if you think selling a player with the above credentials for £4m to a club in a league where Martyn Waghorn transfers for £8m is good business, then you’re either wired to the moon or Martin Bain.

In summary, that would be absolutely shite business and in keeping with our history of letting clubs take the piss out of us in the transfer market. It’s clearly not me who needs a hard reality check, and the fact that this potential deal would be done in January in the middle of a title race should make an even bigger mockery of that ‘£4m at a push’ estimation.
Spot on.

He’s our best midfielder.

Sell him and that’s a massive dent in our title chances.

This season should be all about 55.

Selling our best assets can wait until summer.
Quite a call there.
I think he’s a very good player but, is he producing better than what Davis and Jack are?

Yes he did.

I honestly think we should consider totally re structuring our pay to players mate.

Less basic & more appearance money / bonuses.

Guys not playing are far more likely to go on that basis.
The problem with that for me is that you then may struggle to attract players of a high enough calibre to build the spine of a first team. It's a good idea for a team like hearts/hibs etc. who can't afford to pay a high basic but can attract hungry players with incentives for the likes of top 4 finishes, cup finals etc. And pay the bonuses out of the additional income generated by these achievements. You'll not get a Ryan Kent or Jermain Defoe coming up here on a 5k basic though, we're bigger and more ambitious than that.

Not really, £7M is what Liverpool valued him at regardless.
I don't think that the up front cost was anything near half that for Ryan Kent. Our total liability to Liverpool might total £7-£7.5m though. This might put Kamara's potential fee in perspective. I reckon £8m base with add ons totalling say, £10m would represent good business. A sell-on clause would be preferable as well.

As previous posters have stated, we don't want to garner a reputation as soft touches in the transfer market now that Stevie is at the helm. Windass was different though. He was moved on quickly because he wasn't deemed to be valuable enough.

Now I'm not saying £8-10m isn't good for someone that cost us £50k however; we are dealing with a regular international footballer who is likely to be playing at Euro 2020 and will only be 25. £8-10m is borderline "old money" when it comes to the EPL and Championship and we should be looking for a lot more.
In the same article it mentions Leeds knocking back £27m for a player with no pedigree or international honours yet we should be excited about this type of return? Not for me.

Absolutely not for me.

Selling Kamara for £8m is one thing. Replacing him with Lewis Ferguson at a vastly inflated price (This is Aberdeen we're talking about here) shouldn't even be on our radar.

1. He's not worth that sort of outlay
2. His dad and his uncle are toxic IMO.

As a wise man said to me last night "Gerrard wouldn't be able to fart in the dressing room without it getting back to Barry and Derek". Christ, Lewis Ferguson wouldn't be able to concentrate without Barry asking him every two minutes "Have you put in a good word to Steven for me ?"

I can’t think of anything worse than giving two gossipy media darlings a direct ‘in’ to our dressing room. Though it wouldn’t exactly be hard to find the mole when Barry and Derek start churning out exclusives from inside Ibrox and Auchenhowie.

Out of interest do people think Kamara is ahead of Aribo in terms of development and where he is as a player?Roughly the same age. What would Charlton have wanted for Aribo if he was still under contract in the summer? Would've been more than 8 for a boy that's played in the 3rd tier of English football.We've a boy that's playing International football going to a major tournament barring disaster. Playing and doing well in European football and also playing for a much bigger club than Charlton.

Quite a call there.
I think he’s a very good player but, is he producing better than what Davis and Jack are?
Okay perhaps not; but folk are missing the point.

Is a Rangers squad better with or without Kamara? Obviously it’s better with him.

Could we still get big money for him next summer? Of course.

So why would we hamper our title chances selling an important player now when we don’t need to? It would be insanity.

Our club if selling a player should sell them for as much as they can get. If Leeds offer 8 then say 15m. If they come back in again say the least we would accept is 12 with a 15% sell on clause.
This is only if we are selling though.
With Jack, Davis, Aribo and Kamara we have 4 solid midfielders. King isn’t doing much and Docherty should probably be sold now.
If anything we need another new midfielder as well as another right back. If we sell Morelos we need 2 strikers also.

Out of interest do people think Kamara is ahead of Aribo in terms of development and where he is as a player?Roughly the same age. What would Charlton have wanted for Aribo if he was still under contract in the summer? Would've been more than 8 for a boy that's played in the 3rd tier of English football.We've a boy that's playing International football going to a major tournament barring disaster. Playing and doing well in European football and also playing for a much bigger club than Charlton.
Aribo is a goalscoring midfielder with a higher ceiling than Kamara.

Goalscoring midfielders are worth more in the transfer market.

I’m confident enough thats why he hasn’t played. He’s not injured and he’s not lacking sharpness. We’ll see his numbers come the end of the season.

I’d say that same goes for a couple of our players.

I don't disagree with you, I have the same feeling that he just hasn't impressed Gerrard enough in training, but it does beg the question: why not?

We're fast approaching the winter break and have a guy on loan who's barely featured.

If he isn't injured and isn't impressing the gaffer, perhaps he simply needs to return to Leicester in January if that's an option?

• Kamara has performed very well in the Europa League against quality opposition, that’s a level far above what ANY championship player is performing at.

How do you know he will get better?
I take it your one of SG s backroom staff.

Our players should be catching the eyes of some and this has to be our model moving forward...however, as proven several times of late, the mhedia will do and say anything to dismantle and derail our team and challenge for 55

The problem with that for me is that you then may struggle to attract players of a high enough calibre to build the spine of a first team. It's a good idea for a team like hearts/hibs etc. who can't afford to pay a high basic but can attract hungry players with incentives for the likes of top 4 finishes, cup finals etc. And pay the bonuses out of the additional income generated by these achievements. You'll not get a Ryan Kent or Jermain Defoe coming up here on a 5k basic though, we're bigger and more ambitious than that.

I absolutely accept your point on such as Kent & Defoe KB.

On the other hand I’m thinking guys like Dodoo, Stewart, Jones, Halliday, etc.

It wouldn’t be easy, but given our historical performance on this issue, we need to try & think a bit differently from what we have done.

We're trying to build a settled squad. Just selling anyone and everyone then starting again is mental.
We will receive bids for our assets and if they are high enough they will be accepted.

Given the backroom staff and investment in recruitment and strategy I'd like to think we have a ready made replacement for each department.

If we recieve a bid in the region of 8m for Kamara he will likely be sold, and rightly so.
Gerrard should be given a decent % of that to replace him, or, we look at who is waiting in the wings and judge if the replacements there.

Look at the 11m of losses, 1 player we got for 50k almost wipes that out himself, then you have Alfie who does 3 times over, Tav, Barasic, Kent...

This is a good thing for us.

None of that contradicts what I said.

Aribo is also more versatile - can play 8, 10 and as an inside forward.
Who's done next to nothing at a high level. Charlton would've been looking for 10 at least if he was still under contract in the summer. Personally I think a guy that's a good bit ahead if him in terms of development is worth the same at the very least.

Is he over three times the value of an international footballer who has excelled at European level ?

Is he fúck.

I've no qualms with selling Kamara but we really need to stop selling ourselves short here.

McGinn went for £3m in his last year of his deal. Armstrong went for £7m in the last year of his deal.

Kamara has 4 years left on his.

Good point but I don’t believe for a second Celtic got that for Armstrong.

If he is sold is there going to be a replacement bought in or are we promoting from within and fwiw if £8 million is the first bid on the table I don't think it's unreasonable to get £10 million for him at the end of the negotiations

Back