Leeds Utd

Great to see them within touching distance of being back in the Premiership. When on HMS SUPERB my boss was a big Leeds fan. He actually put money on them being relegated the year they went down. Poor

Never understood this Leeds being a big club talk. They’ve spent more of their time outside the top flight than in it, have only won 7 major honours in their entire history and despite being in the biggest city in the UK with only 1 club in it they have never, ever managed to average over 40k in a season before.

There’s a lot of truth in that. Clubs like Sunderland, Sheffield Wednesday and Blackburn probably have, historically speaking, more claim to being a big club than Leeds do.

I think much of the perception is that Leeds heyday of the mid 60s to mid 70s is still relatively recent compared to those other clubs and they did win the title again in the early ‘90s, but I do wonder why someone like Derby, who won the same number of titles as Leeds during those glory years, aren’t thought of similarly.

No disrespect to Leeds though, I do think the EPL will be better off with them in it.

I think much of the perception is that Leeds heyday of the mid 60s to mid 70s is still relatively recent compared to those other clubs and they did win the title again in the early ‘90s, but I do wonder why someone like Derby, who won the same number of titles as Leeds during those glory years, aren’t thought of similarly.
The perception of LUFC as a big club comes not surprisingly from their 5 European finals and 4 semi-finals. They were the first English club to reach the final of all 3 European competitions and only the second club after Barcelona to achieve this. Leeds would have been ECWC winners in 1973 if not for the dodgy referee who was later banned form football for bribery. Again in 1975 Leeds would have been only the second English club to lift the European Cup if not for a a highly questionable referee.

Derby County have only one Euro semi-final in comparison...

I hate Leeds but cannot disagree with this. Would love to see a more traditional top division with the likes of Sunderland, Derby, Leeds, Wednesday and Forest up with the likes of Watford, Norwich, Brighton and Bournemouth down. I know that sounds weird.

I totally agree.

That was a big,big goal for Leeds.Over the past few seasons this was the kind of occasion that would have resulted in their bottle crashing.
They’re going up this season.

Their current Stadium capacity is 37,890 and their the last team to win the Old English 1st Division 91/92 with an English Manager Howard Wilkinson

They’ve won very little in their history and have spent more time outslde the top league than in it. Also Elland Road hasn't always had a sub 40k capacity. It held over 40k for Decades but Leeds have never, ever managed to average over 40k. Also despite Elland Road only holding 37k these days they went 9 years without filling it and in fact had to mothball a large part of it.

A great side from the mid sixties to mid seventies but they were one nasty shower of dirty bastards with a manager in Revie who was a underhand devious bastard.

Don’t like Leeds. However, will be good to see them back in the PL. A big club with a fanatic following, PL should be where they are.

They’ve won very little in their history and have spent more time outslde the top league than in it. Also Elland Road hasn't always had a sub 40k capacity. It held over 40k for Decades but Leeds have never, ever managed to average over 40k. Also despite Elland Road only holding 37k these days they went 9 years without filling it and in fact had to mothball a large part of it.

I agree there honours are low and they’ve been beaten in a load of finals, over the years they’ve had some %^*& ers as owners just like the spell we had With the Spivs, the team name is known worldwide and they’ve had some amount of great players in their team over the years, also remember back in the 80’s we had attendances under 10,000 when we were struggling

There my English team and my second team after us so I will always think there a massive team

I don’t mind Leeds but what’s all this “ they are a proper club “ stuff ? What does that mean ? What’s an improper club (apart from the east end bheast ) ? Doesn’t make any sense .

With the best will in the world the likes of Bournemouth as a club probably shouldn’t be in the EPL.
Leeds are a club that should imho.

Some finish from Pablo Hernandez today, about the only space in the goal that he was going to score and it crept in.

Just hope they get over the line, they deserve to go up.

I'd be delighted if Leeds, Brentford and Notts Forest went up and Watford, Bournemouth and Norwich went down.

Think there’s a chance they’ll bid for any of our players mate?

I’d much rather see Alfie go to a big club like that than a Palace or the likes.
Doubt it, my mates are ST holders at Elland Road and say if they go up they are being bought over by a middle eastern consortium.
They like the thought of that but don't want to lose their identity.
Also plans to up the capacity too.

Reactions: cav
The PL has 20 clubs and Leeds are easily one of the biggest 20 clubs in England, probably top 10 actually.

I'll be very happy for them if/when they secure promotion. I just hope they have a good side next season and don't go straight back down.

Will be great seeing the likes of Man Utd go to Elland Road in a televised match under the floodlights. Hopefully supporters will be allowed back in by then.

I also hope Nottingham Forest get promoted.

I'm going to enjoy any mentally challenged mentioning Leeds getting "back" to the Premier League.

Yassss!

Thought a point would have been a good result but a last minute winner, well il take that.

One hand on the title now.

With the best will in the world the likes of Bournemouth as a club probably shouldn’t be in the EPL.
Leeds are a club that should imho.
Why?

You're either good enough or you're not. Weeds haven't been good enough until, perhaps, now.

I'm hoping to see both them and Brentford go up. Leeds are too big a club to have been out the premier league this long and Brentford play some brilliant football.

Hopefully they don't follow Aston Villa's lead and spend millions upon millions on utter dross.
Watched the documentary on Bielsa they won’t spend millions if he’s still the boss. Not his game I’ve watched a few of their games on SKY and they are some football team and their fitness levels are astonishing.

Watched the documentary on Bielsa they won’t spend millions if he’s still the boss. Not his game I’ve watched a few of their games on SKY and they are some football team and their fitness levels are astonishing.
Watched the game when they played arsenal in the fa cup and they didn’t look out of place

be different playing in the pl every week but think they will do well

Other than Rangers it’s looking like a perfect year for me.
Leeds champions (?)
Liverpool champions

Reactions: WBD
Back