Official Leggoland blog latest! - Jock Stein was a thief!

There was one reason and only one reason why he wasn’t made a director.

You clearly haven’t been paying attention or TBF perhaps you’re too young and if that’s the case fair enough.

The answer to your question is he didn’t kick with the right foot.
You mean he didn’t kick with the left foot? :)

There was one reason and only one reason why he wasn’t made a director.

You clearly haven’t been paying attention or TBF perhaps you’re too young and if that’s the case fair enough.

The answer to your question is he didn’t kick with the right foot.
It was a rhetorical question of course! I know fine well why he wasn’t made a director.

It again highlights the double standards of the filth - they as a club refused to reward his achievements but bleat about prejudice because he wasn’t recognised by the UK establishment.

I’m sure I read that Gemmell hated Stein as well, he was treated appallingly by him.
Haven’t read that one but Gemmell wasn’t overly popular in the dressing room.
Wrong sort apparently.
Wrong sort as in not Celtic minded and not an RC.

Haven’t read that one but Gemmell wasn’t overly popular in the dressing room.
Wrong sort apparently.
Wrong sort as in not Celtic minded and not an RC.
Tommy Gemmell stated a few times that when he signed for Celtic he was only the second Protestant on the playing staff and got a lot of abuse from players and staff such as being called an Orange bastard. I'm sure it's also in his book.

Tommy Gemmell stated a few times that when he signed for Celtic he was only the second Protestant on the playing staff and got a lot of abuse from players and staff such as being called an Orange bastard. I'm sure it's also in his book.
I got introduced to TG one night at a function to raise funds, for the Jim Baxter Statue. When I let him know I was a Bluenose, his reply was, "What do you think, I am" LOL.

I got introduced to TG one night at a function to raise funds, for the Jim Baxter Statue. When I let him know I was a Bluenose, his reply was, "What do you think, I am" LOL.
Gemmell was a Motherwell fan.
Gemmell was also a bastard.

His sister and my aunt were good friends, can never get my head around how a Rangers fan would play for them but ever more so how they could then spend the rest of their lives going to fans functions and singing all their songs

Interesting to reflect that Brazil, Gemmill, Hughes all copping the rough end of Stein.

You never hear of Souness or Dalglish in these types of situations.
Maybe they were too streetwise to him, maybe they were in cahoots as they were very close - or maybe Stein just wouldn’t go near them?

Stein preyed on the weak.

A despicable man.

His sister and my aunt were good friends, can never get my head around how a Rangers fan would play for them but ever more so how they could then spend the rest of their lives going to fans functions and singing all their songs
He was never a Rangers fan.

Did he not have a dalliance with his good friend Tony Queens wife? I heard it was a knee trembler outside the New Orleans pub in Rutherglen which was owned by Dalglish’s father in law at the time. I think his name was Harkins.

Did he not have a dalliance with his good friend Tony Queens wife? I heard it was a knee trembler outside the New Orleans pub in Rutherglen which was owned by Dalglish’s father in law at the time. I think his name was Harkins.
the thought of Stein, trousers at half mast round the back of a pub, is one of these things you don’t want to think about!

I can’t remember them ever saying he should be given a knighthood.
I think the fact that Knighthoods are awarded by the King and the fact that Jock Stein is dead (you can’t be posthumously knighted) might temper any shouts from them.
They did.

Pretty sure the BJK song really took off around that time.

"Degenerate gambler"

I heard Alan Brazil talking about when he was in the Scotland team, Stein heard of Brazil having a tip and hab got odds, well before the race - I think it was something ridiculous like 20/1

Stein wanted in on the bet, Brazil said no, and was subsequently dropped for the next match, despite being in good scoring form and Stein previously telling him he would be first choice striker
so even after knowing what Brazil had gone through as a boy he still chose to take advantage of him as a adult

Tony Queen owned the New Orleans. He bought that after he sold all his bookies to Stakis in the 70s. Dalglish had his wedding party in it I’m sure.

Perhaps the father in law was a partner or something. Queen and Stein were really close friends, so not sure about that rumour but it’s not beyond the realms of reality.

Back