Match Thread Legia Warsaw v Rangers - 19:00 Thursday - RangersTV.tv Worldwide

I suppose it's maybe a sign of how far we have come in terms of fans expectation levels but I totally agree. That was a great result. It sounded like we managed the game. Win your home game to progress. I will settle for that.

We all care about Rangers and it would be devastating not to qualify having come all this way. Maybe that's why some are so worried about the idea of us blowing it next week.

But to those people I would say this. Imagine at the end of last season someone had told us:

"Scrap all the other qualifiers. You have a one off match at Ibrox against Legia Warsaw, but you must win in 90 mins to get to the group stage. Deal?"

Every one of us would have taken that in a heartbeat.

We are capable of scoring goals (plural) next week. Even if we concede first, we can still do it. We need to get the crowd behind us and put pressure on Legia the whole match. Don't let them settle on the ball. Be very attacking. I'm thinking Kilmarnock when we clinched the title in 2011. Kill the tie.

Can't avoid being disappointed tonight. The opportunity to score an away goal is something that may come back to haunt us. Of course, we've had worse results and we will be favourites for the return. We need to be in the driving seat at Ibrox from the off. WATP

You know what Shengus, see them drills we are seeing in the training vids whereby players are shifting from one side to another closing opposition down and working the ball in tight spaces, well I think we are stating to see the rewards. Massive credit to our coaching staff as we just do not allow teams to settle and work the ball really well under pressure.

Those training drills came into my head tonight as well.

A few "f uck me, how did they do that"? moments tonight and then you read the guff in here.

Can't avoid being disappointed tonight. The opportunity to score an away goal is something that may come back to haunt us. Of course, we've had worse results and we will be favourites for the return. We need to be in the driving seat at Ibrox from the off. WATP

Legia will be disappointed not to be taking a lead to Ibrox. Look at it that way.

It’s a better result for us than it is for them.
If you told them before the match the result would be a draw and they had to choose either a 1-1 or a -0-0, you think they would have chosen a 1-1 ? A 0-0 put's more pressure on us at home for obvious reasons, the Legia team in the first half were happy for us to have the ball and stood off us, we didn't do anything of note infront of their goal tonight bar one header past the post in 90mins of football.

I could understand the confidence if we had left 4 or 5 players out, but that was probably our strongest starting 11, we played much better away from home against the Danes who in my opinion were a better team than Legia.

They will again be an extremely hard team to break down next week, they also know that a goal on the counter gives them the advantage as Rangers would need to open up even more and then leave more space. I get the feeling this Legia team would be happy with penalty kicks and take their chances. The tie is wide open for Rangers and Legia and 50/50 it will come down to who is the hungrier to win.

We all care about Rangers and it would be devastating not to qualify having come all this way. Maybe that's why some are so worried about the idea of us blowing it next week.

But to those people I would say this. Imagine at the end of last season someone had told us:

"Scrap all the other qualifiers. You have a one off match at Ibrox against Legia Warsaw, but you must win in 90 mins to get to the group stage. Deal?"

Every one of us would have taken that in a heartbeat.

We are capable of scoring goals (plural) next week. Even if we concede first, we can still do it. We need to get the crowd behind us and put pressure on Legia the whole match. Don't let them settle on the ball. Be very attacking. I'm thinking Kilmarnock when we clinched the title in 2011. Kill the tie.

We must win the game, which is the one good thing about tonight.

If we had drawn 0 0 tonight at Ibrox, how happy would we be ? I suspect Legia will be disappointed they didn't win and concerned about Ibrox next week.

We got to the UEFA Cup Final on a succession of 0-0 first leg home ties.

If they get the first goal next week it will be difficult.

If you told them before the match the result would be a draw and they had to choose either a 1-1 or a -0-0, you think they would have chosen a 1-1 ? A 0-0 put's more pressure on us at home for obvious reasons, the Legia team in the first half were happy for us to have the ball and stood off us, we didn't do anything of note infront of their goal tonight bar one header past the post in 90mins of football.

I could understand the confidence if we had left 4 or 5 players out, but that was probably our strongest starting 11, we played much better away from home against the Danes who in my opinion were a better team than Legia.

They will again be an extremely hard team to break down next week, they also know that a goal on the counter gives them the advantage as Rangers would need to open up even more and then leave more space. I get the feeling this Legia team would be happy with penalty kicks and take their chances. The tie is wide open for Rangers and Legia and 50/50 it will come down to who is the hungrier to win.
1-1 also put more pressure on Legia as they then have to score. As it stands now they don't.

Legia's diving and fouling tonight will be a nightmare again next week to frustrate the crowd. Even if we go a goal up we must continue to batter them for 90 minutes. We know what we have to do, a win by any means.

Time to leave FF for the night I think as I've just seen our defenders take a battering after a 0-0 result away from home in Europe because Legia had a couple of, at best, half-chances none of which required more than a routine save. I'll take that every day of the week over the swashbuckling 4-3 defeat in Moscow but that's just me.

Not. Sure how you can say the Danes were better than this lot. This lot could have won that game.
If we played the Danes 10 times. We'd win 9.5 out of 10. If we played this lot 10 times, we'd probably win 3 or 4, to their 2 or 3 with a few draws thrown in. Next week will be tough. They are not a bad side and they are capable of scoring if we are not very careful.

Reasonably happy with the result. If Alfie puts his chance away then we’d all be talking about how complete a performance it was. My main takeaway from tonight was how good it felt to be competing at a good level in Europe in a stadium with a top atmosphere.

Having said all that, I don’t get why Gerrard waited so long to make subs. The game was opening up and we could have definitely have scored if we’d freshened things up. Looking forward to Ibrox next week, we should have enough to beat them over 90 minutes.

Katic was outstanding, big warrior. Man of the match for me

Everything he went went up for he won and he was huge for us in the center of defense, only mistake he made was when he went to ground on the edge of the box which could have cost us massively, other than that a great performance from the big man. I hope he goes on to cement himself as our first choice central defender for years to come.

Last edited:
Reasonably happy with the result. If Alfie puts his chance away then we’d all be talking about how complete a performance it was. My main takeaway from tonight was how good it felt to be competing at a good level in Europe in a stadium with a top atmosphere.

Having said all that, I don’t get why Gerrard waited so long to make subs. The game was opening up and we could have definitely have scored if we’d freshened things up. Looking forward to Ibrox next week, we should have enough to beat them over 90 minutes.

Sums it up for me.

In hindsight

Midtjyllland play polite football, minimal niggle, cynicism or determination.

Legia Warsaw tonight were cynical and willing to do anything not to be beaten.

They played a level miles above earlier rounds

Their fans also take credit for that as the energy given out was clearly driving them on later in the game.

Up to us to let the class tell. Our one touch and angles first half was lovely whilst refusing to take a single risk which was disappointing.

Can anyone honestly see us not score at least 1 against this mob next week? They will need 2 goals at Ibrox. I didn't think they were up to much at all and they will have to come out next week which suits us right down to the ground.

Very good result with the crowd at Ibrox I think it’s going to be one of those great European nights next week and then pump the scum for a memorable week for the teddy bears

Time to leave FF for the night I think as I've just seen our defenders take a battering after a 0-0 result away from home in Europe because Legia had a couple of, at best, half-chances none of which required more than a routine save. I'll take that every day of the week over the swashbuckling 4-3 defeat in Moscow but that's just me.

Exactly some amount of panty wetting as per usual.

The created two half chances.

Next week in front of 50k mental Bears will be a different proposition for them.

We'll do them.

Legia's diving and fouling tonight will be a nightmare again next week to frustrate the crowd. Even if we go a goal up we must continue to batter them for 90 minutes. We know what we have to do, a win by any means.
I reckon they will come next week and sit in, allow us to have the ball and frustrate us, they done a good job of shutting us out tonight and i suspect they will be even harder to break down next week, they know one goal puts a lot of pressure on us and we know we can't let them score, biggest fear is the longer the game goes on without any scoring the more nervy our support will get, we could be leading 1-0 with a minute to go and they score and we're out, It will be very tense next week if we have a similar performance.

Their game plan could also be to come to Ibrox,sit in and take the draw and then the lottery of penalty's, last thing we need is extra time and penalty's with a game against the mankies a couple of days later. My concern also is if we are knocked out it will have a big hit on our finances and if we are relying on the Europa money perhaps to use to buy Kent, then we won't be buying him if we get knocked out.

It is no way a 50/50 tie now.

80/20 in our favour.

Work still to be done but we are clear favourites.

I reckon they will come next week and sit in, allow us to have the ball and frustrate us, they done a good job of shutting us out tonight and i suspect they will be even harder to break down next week, they know one goal puts a lot of pressure on us and we know we can't let them score, biggest fear is the longer the game goes on without any scoring the more nervy our support will get, we could be leading 1-0 with a minute to go and they score and we're out, It will be very tense next week if we have a similar performance.

Their game plan could also be to come to Ibrox,sit in and take the draw and then the lottery of penalty's, last thing we need is extra time and penalty's with a game against the mankies a couple of days later. My concern also is if we are knocked out it will have a big hit on our finances and if we are relying on the Europa money perhaps to use to buy Kent, then we won't be buying him if we get knocked out.
No concerns here. Having watched rangers in Europe for 50yrs, this was, as was said in commentary, a real mature performance from this team.
I think now we will get through this tie with little or no fuss & back into the group stages. And more significantly, quietly confident we will the title this yr.

nah

mcgregor had 2 fantastic stops and they put a sitter of a header wide

0-0 was their game plan

sit in frustrate and try and grab a 1-0 away from home was their plan all along

we showed them too much respect and will have to start at tempo next week and get 2 up before we can relax

the ref will be vital as they constantly stop the game diving after the slightest touch which we did time and again

Wish we'd have scored hate 0-0. We showed plenty though. Defensively they were excellent but upfront... well barrel of fannys anyone?

Fine result. Of course it's not a given that we'll get through and it won't be the end of the world if we don't,but that's a good result tonight.
It's like a cup final this game next week,so I'm quietly confident,but still cautious as I have been apart from playing st joseph's.
Polish teams are no mugs and we have no right to think we can just roll over them.
Just look forward to the occasion and hopefully it will be a night to remember.

Solid away performance played for the draw n got it I don’t see much from Legia to get too worried about at Ibrox we can score at least a couple that’ll take us through next Thursday

nah

mcgregor had 2 fantastic stops and they put a sitter of a header wide

0-0 was their game plan

sit in frustrate and try and grab a 1-0 away from home was their plan all along

we showed them too much respect and will have to start at tempo next week and get 2 up before we can relax

the ref will be vital as they constantly stop the game diving after the slightest touch which we did time and again
That's mcgergors job,he's part of the defence.

We will score next week against Legia, I have no doubts about that. My big concern is that we still have that habit of switching off during games and it could cost us. When we score, score again, and again, and again. It must be relentless from Rangers. Don't give these Polish cheats a sniff.

The amount of diving and rolling about from them tonight was pathetic. Flanagan got booked for repetitive fouling when 3 of those "fouls" were doves.

Hopefully at Ibrox with the crowd behind the team, the ref might be less inclined to buy it.

Right Lads thats 2 Charters just left Warsaw; first one from the (Ryanair) Modlin
Warsaw @23:55(gmt). The other from the real Airport-Warsaw Chopin@ 23:57(gmt).

Both are Klasjet 737's heading northwesterly, I would put my money on the plane

leaving fae the real airport, not sure what route they will follow, but should be home

by 01:30- 01:45ish. Will know better in an hour or so. Then again they might be goin

to have an overnighter. Does anyone know who took them, was busy so guessin.:confused:

Look at the Tim's after a 1 all draw v Cluj....came back to Jakeville and didn't know what the %^*& to do and had 4 pumped past them. We know we need to win the game full stop.

Going by stats, in the last 14 years for CL qualification: 0-0 in the first leg seen the away team (us tonight) through 75% of the time. 1-1 had the away team go through 72% of the time. So maybe backs up your argument that 0-0 gives the home team an incentive to go out and win the game.

Back